In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Rear window leak

Demon

10 hours ago, Rfg14silverado said:

Get them to install a solid glass rear window  

I tried but dealer said warranty has to replace with same part.... i even explained that the fixed glass is cheaper for GM and shouldnsolve this issue once and for all and that i wont have to come back in 12 months for a leak in the "new" window.  Going to call my insurance to see if they will cover replacement for a leak and ill just have the glass company put in a solid rear window.  Per Safelite its 470 installed and if insurance will fix it ill be done with this mess.  Safelite daid they cannot get the sliders because they are on backorder.... go figure 

• Like 3

Well, mine didn’t even make it 36 hrs before leaking again after having the sealant done. Luckily it’s just in the corner and the window track is dry as a bone. I’m going to order the Kent seam sealant and see if I can do the corner myself since it’s accessible.

14ce12e7ce904b696a00bf744d13b722.jpg

a1b143eea1121d9368142d131cc8f882.jpg

18fed10caf489655e1ece417231d06be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, hotrodz37 said:

Well, mine didn’t even make it 36 hrs before leaking again after having the sealant done. Luckily it’s just in the corner and the window track is dry as a bone. I’m going to order the Kent seam sealant and see if I can do the corner myself since it’s accessible.

14ce12e7ce904b696a00bf744d13b722.jpg

a1b143eea1121d9368142d131cc8f882.jpg

18fed10caf489655e1ece417231d06be.jpg

Just watch yourself Hotrodz, dealership's look for any reason to void your warranty and performing a fix on your own like that could possible do that. You really can't give them any reason today because 9 out of 10 times they will use it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BIGDOGx said:

Just watch yourself Hotrodz, dealership's look for any reason to void your warranty and performing a fix on your own like that could possible do that. You really can't give them any reason today because 9 out of 10 times they will use it.

Appreciate the heads up but I don't really care at this point. If I can't fix it myself I am getting rid of the truck anyway. Plus, using the same seam sealant they use in the corner there, they won't even know since the tech did such a shitty job before, it will look like just a blob of the same stuff there anyway. 

Here's another question... a lot of folks are talking about trading the trucks in for something else.... what options are people considering.  After looking in the market Fords and Rams seem plagued with a host of issues as well.   IMO Toyota is in dire need of a full refresh.  The only one that personally interests me is the Nissan Titan, but you cannot get all the features in a Titan that you can with the Silverado.    

34 minutes ago, Ethan Fernaays said:

Here's another question... a lot of folks are talking about trading the trucks in for something else.... what options are people considering.  After looking in the market Fords and Rams seem plagued with a host of issues as well.   IMO Toyota is in dire need of a full refresh.  The only one that personally interests me is the Nissan Titan, but you cannot get all the features in a Titan that you can with the Silverado.    

I’d stick with Chevy/gmc. A lot of these leak repair issues are just due to incompetence. I fully did my research on my dealership and their service department before I bought my truck there. They fixed my rear window leak awhile ago and I’ve had no issues. 

Edited by TheTicketTX
  • Like 1

I’d stick with Chevy/gmc. A lot of these leak repair issues are just due to incompetence. I fully did my research on my dealership and their service department before I bought my truck there. They fixed my rear window leak awhile ago and I’ve had no issues. 

I tend to agree with you on this one, a lot of it is incompetence on the dealers part. A good dealer goes a longgg way in the ownership experience. Unfortunately mine is one of the only ones near me and it’s still 35 mins with no traffic from work/home.

Appreciate the heads up but I don't really care at this point. If I can't fix it myself I am getting rid of the truck anyway. Plus, using the same seam sealant they use in the corner there, they won't even know since the tech did such a shitty job before, it will look like just a blob of the same stuff there anyway. 
Might be easier to apply2a4a621d52c3491e07ff13539767d9f3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I was out this morning and close to the dealership so I decided to stop in and see if there are any updates. My truck has been in the shop since last Thursday for a leak after the second window install. Did not find out much other then they cannot find where the leak is coming from. I suggested they check the rear window. Anyway, all was not lost, I did snag a loaner while I was there. 

Also while there I did notice several Sierras in the shop and I spotted this truck outside. It did have the chalking job done to it. At least it was under cover. This is not my truck. Thought you guys may enjoy the picture. 

IMG_2781.JPG

55 minutes ago, Jamie73 said:

I was out this morning and close to the dealership so I decided to stop in and see if there are any updates. My truck has been in the shop since last Thursday for a leak after the second window install. Did not find out much other then they cannot find where the leak is coming from. I suggested they check the rear window. Anyway, all was not lost, I did snag a loaner while I was there. 

Also while there I did notice several Sierras in the shop and I spotted this truck outside. It did have the chalking job done to it. At least it was under cover. This is not my truck. Thought you guys may enjoy the picture. 

IMG_2781.JPG

Great pic, could you upload the full size image? You can totally see all the design flaws in this, just crazy.

Just wondering, as I wanted to buy a new 2020 Sierra or Silverado, but have now held off due to this problem.

Luckily I found this thread BEFORE purchase.

Been reading it since mid December.

Why do you think this spoiler was added to the roof design starting in 2019?

A.) For appearance?

B.) For fuel economy maybe with slightly improved aerodynamics?

When you look at that picture of the red truck with the spoiler removed, how in the world can that stay sealed for years to come.

Every hole in that roof has the potential to leak into the truck due to poorly sealed spoiler.

So many contours and surfaces have to mate perfectly.

IMO...They made a mistake with this spoiler.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, obxdiver said:

Just wondering, as I wanted to buy a new 2020 Sierra or Silverado, but have now held off due to this problem.

Luckily I found this thread BEFORE purchase.

Been reading it since mid December.

Why do you think this spoiler was added to the roof design starting in 2019?

A.) For appearance?

B.) For fuel economy maybe with slightly improved aerodynamics?

When you look at that picture of the red truck with the spoiler removed, how in the world can that stay sealed for years to come.

Every hole in that roof has the potential to leak into the truck due to poorly sealed spoiler.

So many contours and surfaces have to mate perfectly.

IMO...They made a mistake with this spoiler.

ME TOO! Was about to trade till I started reading this thread.

• Like 1