In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Rear window leak

Demon

1 hour ago, obxdiver said:

Just wondering, as I wanted to buy a new 2020 Sierra or Silverado, but have now held off due to this problem.

Luckily I found this thread BEFORE purchase.

Been reading it since mid December.

Why do you think this spoiler was added to the roof design starting in 2019?

A.) For appearance?

B.) For fuel economy maybe with slightly improved aerodynamics?

When you look at that picture of the red truck with the spoiler removed, how in the world can that stay sealed for years to come.

Every hole in that roof has the potential to leak into the truck due to poorly sealed spoiler.

So many contours and surfaces have to mate perfectly.

IMO...They made a mistake with this spoiler.

If the leaks are caused by the spoiler itself and the holes under it, then why don't those with fixed rear windows have the problem?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wacnstac said:

If the leaks are caused by the spoiler itself and the holes under it, then why don't those with fixed rear windows have the problem?

From reading all these posts from the beginning, it seems to me that it can be from the holes underneath the spoiler or from the window or from "both" of them. ?

I have read in previous posts that when they determine (or guess) the spoiler/ grommets are leaking the dealer is using seam sealer for remedy this. How are we going to get the spoiler off in 2 years if needed if they glue it on? This sounds more like a band-aid and not a real fix. I'm almost afraid to wash my truck anymore in case I find out its started leaking...

2 hours ago, brianf60 said:

I have read in previous posts that when they determine (or guess) the spoiler/ grommets are leaking the dealer is using seam sealer for remedy this. How are we going to get the spoiler off in 2 years if needed if they glue it on? This sounds more like a band-aid and not a real fix. I'm almost afraid to wash my truck anymore in case I find out its started leaking...

Having had my spoiler seam sealed at the holes, and then having a window replaced later, I can tell you the spoiler comes off with the seam sealer there (you can find some photos of my truck taken apart earlier in the thread if you want to see what it looks like off the truck after seam sealer applied)

The Kent Seam Sealer that I ordered directly from them was delivered the very next day. Now all I need to do is find a few hours to do this. I’m thinking I may also use some of the sealer to seal up the attachment holes underneath. I’ll have to see what I think when I get in there.

Mine shipped last night and won’t be here til Tuesday unfortunately. Was hoping to get it done this weekend but it’s supposed to be sunny next week so I guess it doesn’t matter if the window is sealed or not then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone had there headliner replaced recently because of the rear window leak? Just curious how long they had to wait for one to come in, dealership is telling me no idea , they are saying none in the country available.

So my entire window was replaced in September, seemed good for 6 months, now rear window is leaking again... Fu@k!!!! I love this truck except for this damn rear window!

Is the problem isolated to just those of us with the rear sliding glass?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, 19TrailBoss said:

So my entire window was replaced in September, seemed good for 6 months, now rear window is leaking again... Fu@k!!!! I love this truck except for this damn rear window!

Is the problem isolated to just those of us with the rear sliding glass?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I wonder what they used to adhere the window when they replaced it, and if they used the Kent Seam Sealant on the top like before. Wondering if that is the problem? Maybe the Kent doesnt adhere well to the surface and over time, bumpy roads, shutting doors, body flex etc it peels away from the cab and/or window leaving a gap in between.

Might be worth trying 3M or Permatex - I am not opposed to being the guinea pig on this. 

2 hours ago, tbare54 said:

Anyone had there headliner replaced recently because of the rear window leak? Just curious how long they had to wait for one to come in, dealership is telling me no idea , they are saying none in the country available.

Mine only took a couple of days, but I still haven't gotten my truck back from where they replaced the headliner because they messed some stuff up in the process. It's been 2 weeks. 

Edited by Brandon Adams