2019 Silverado or RAM - which should I buy?

cltsig

Hi all,

Previous '16 Yukon Denali (6.2) owner and can't see buying a Ford and Dodge/RAM was never really on the radar until now.  Grandpa always drove Chevy's so hard to envision driving Ford or Dodge. The Denali had the booming issue but not buffeting and occasional vibrations which shook my confidence in GM.  I stayed clear of the past version of the Shakerado and Sierra due to these issues.  It seems that problem has been rectified so in general, to me anyway, anything that comes up on the new models should be fixable unlike the Chevy Shake.  Anyway, I'm in the market for a new truck and I am considering the Silverado and RAM.  I've driven the Laramie Longhorn RAM but not the Silverado - yet.  The RAM rode nice but I wasn't overly blown away with how it drove.  I would say it was just fine.  One thing I missed on the RAM that the Silverado has is the ability to see the current speed limit somewhere on the dash or HUD.  I like that the new Silverado (considering a LTZ) has HUD available.  Oh yeah, the safety systems are important because this truck may go to my current 10 year old son once he is driving, so having safety systems is important.  And I really like listening to music so a good stereo is a necessity.  I hear the new Bose is nearly the same as what I had in the Denali, so my opinion is it's only adequate and lacking.  Here is my quick breakdown of the two trucks:

RAM:

Pros: great interior, lots of cubbies for the kids, 12" Uconnect is pretty cool, coil springs give a nice ride, 5.7 adequate

Cons: no HUD, no speed limit visible,  HK 19 speaker/900 watt stereo isn't very loud (apparently a TSB helps), Uconnect 12" screen has bugs but could be worked out over time, 5.7 Hemi not as peppy as 6.2 but better than 5.3, RAM long term reliability suspect although the lifetime warranty available from Chrysler is pretty reassuring.  To get safety you need to get 12" Uconnect which I don't need or really like, with 12" no dials/buttons for heated/cooled seats, AC, etc.

Silverado LTZ:

Pros: 6.2 rocks, HUD and speed limit visible at all times (nearly indispensable to me), volume of SB is larger, my opinion is it looks more masculine than the RAM, prefer GM

Cons: Stereo seems to be a step back volume-wise compared to RAM, interior not nearly as nice and overall just an iterative jump, 6.2 requires high octane,  

I would like to do something by the end of the year.  I can get a fairly loaded RAM for about $52k OTD and the Silvy for around $55k OTD, maybe slightly less.  So money-wise nearly the same.

I know this is a GM forum and I expect pro-GM responses but if brand loyalty wasn't a factor, which would you buy and why?  Anything I am not considering?

Thanks!

Edited by cltsig
fixed spelling

I don't think I'd want the 12" screen.  Pressing a command on a touch screen requires more precision and attention than aiming for a big button or knob.  That attention should stay on the road ahead. 

Edited by rkj__
  • Like 1

Another RAM luxury interior debate. :smash:

2 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

I don't think I'd want the 12" screen.  Pressing a command on a touch screen requires more precision and attention than aiming for a big button or knob.  That attention should stay on the road ahead. 

Not to mention the drive in movie screen blaring at you driving down the road at night. That is something I would not want in a vehicle....

Sounds like a toss-up. I'd get whichever one the wife likes better. Especially if you let her pick the color.

But seriously, we all picked GM over the other options. I'd tell you go go get a loaded 2018 for $10k less. but you have your pros and cons figured out, so I think you will know once you sleep on it a few nights.

• Like 2

One thing that would keep me from ever buying a current Ram 1500 is the shift knob, I mean how sissy can you get? Even the old push-button 727 torqueflite had to be better than that. If you really want a Ram, pull out your man card and opt for a 2500 where you can actually get a shift lever.

23 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Sounds like a toss-up. I'd get whichever one the wife likes better. Especially if you let her pick the color.

But seriously, we all picked GM over the other options. I'd tell you go go get a loaded 2018 for $10k less. but you have your pros and cons figured out, so I think you will know once you sleep on it a few nights.

The voice voice of reason...without a bashing!!!!  thumbs up!

I would tell you to go read the RAM forums then decide. But I can see you have already done that - you referenced the TSB for the HK stereo.  You also know there are a slew of other issues with the 2019 RAM... and many seem widespread.   Clunking front end, noisy brakes, AC issues, HK system, 12in screen bugs, etc. 

Yes, the 2019 GM trucks will have bugs.. but ZERO issues reported so far are what I would consider "widespread"  just isolated build hiccups. 

I thought real hard about the new 2019 RAM a few months back, but just couldn't do it. In the end I ordered a 2019 Silverado.  I agree the RAM has a much better interior and features, but I think the Chevy looks better on the outside.   As I get older I lean more towards reliability and I don't think the RAM has it yet.  Plus I like more real buttons and less touch screen. 

• Like 1

Just now, steve841 said:

Dodge hit the nail on the head ... PERIOD.

But, it's a Dodge.

The only nails Dodge is hitting are Journey, Grand Caravan, Challenger, Charger, and Durango. 

I know you meant Ram, but that's just a pet peeve of mine.

20 minutes ago, GMC-AT said:

I would tell you to go read the RAM forums then decide. But I can see you have already done that - you referenced the TSB for the HK stereo.  You also know there are a slew of other issues with the 2019 RAM... and many seem widespread.   Clunking front end, noisy brakes, AC issues, HK system, 12in screen bugs, etc. 

Yes, the 2019 GM trucks will have bugs.. but ZERO issues reported so far are what I would consider "widespread"  just isolated build hiccups. 

I thought real hard about the new 2019 RAM a few months back, but just couldn't do it. In the end I ordered a 2019 Silverado.  I agree the RAM has a much better interior and features, but I think the Chevy looks better on the outside.   As I get older I lean more towards reliability and I don't think the RAM has it yet.  Plus I like more real buttons and less touch screen. 

How long ago did you order your RST?  Do you have a TPW yet? 

1 hour ago, garagerog said:

One thing that would keep me from ever buying a current Ram 1500 is the shift knob, I mean how sissy can you get? Even the old push-button 727 torqueflite had to be better than that. If you really want a Ram, pull out your man card and opt for a 2500 where you can actually get a shift lever.

Yeah, forgot to mention that.  I do not like that shift knob.

2 hours ago, rkj__ said:

Exactly.  I struggled on side roads trying to change the station and turn off the heated seats.  Don't want to click 3-4 times to do something simple.

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

Just purchase the truck you think looks better and deal with the mechanical issues down the road.

Both brands will eventually have problems at some point.

So, which aesthetic body style can you live with most?

By far I like the look of the Chevy better.  My wife just loves the RAM interior though and she's pushing hard for that.