Something to look forward to, eh?

Grumpy Bear

Forget it's make. It can be seen from them all. Just saw a 2015 Silverado in this condition. This has been an issue for decades. We have more connectivity than we need being 'one upped' each cycle. Squeezing mind numbing horsepower from OEM engines. Prices up 20% in under five years. Send men to the moon and we can't fix this? This is what I have to look forward to for my $80,000 expenditure? Oh I don't think so. Greed's belly is never full. 

Fenders

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Just saw a 2015 Silverado in this condition.

Interesting.  I've yet to see a rusty K2 in salty Southern Ontario. 

I can't help but wonder what caused the truck you saw to rust so much earlier than most. 

Funny that you should mention this. I was talking to the owner at a body shop not that long ago and he said that this is the most common place for rust on every brand of pickup from Chevy to Toyota. Sometimes the undercarriage isn't even that bad but it will still rust right here... 

• 1 month later...

Standard practice of washing wheel wells thoroughly ever since living in Michigan years ago.

One thing I like about Colorado is they do not use salt on the roads.

:)

• Like 2

It really won't help just rinsing your wheel wells out. That rust starts from the inside at the pinch welds. Only way to prolong it is washing out the inner fender by removing the taillights and keeping a coat of fluid film sprayed in there. You can also apply it thru the openings in the backside of the bedrails above the wheel well.

The salt spray comes up from the underside of the box in front of the wheel wells and travels all the way to the taillights, it collects in the inner fender at those pinch welds.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2018 at 1:22 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

This is what I have to look forward to for my $80,000 expenditure?

Did you get a new truck?  You drive a 2wd, standard cab V6...even MSRP wasn't half of that. 

I have a cousin who has a similar truck (both silver).  His is a year newer than mine (2010 vs 2011).  His is rusting in the location above and mine is not.  One common denominator is I regularly wash my truck (by hand) and coat (wax, seal, or ceramic coated) my truck and he has not.  There is something to be said for this you can argue up and down it doesnt matter but it does play a huge part.  Also something interesting I have the fender liners in my truck and his does not (there go that theory of stuff getting trapped behind the liners)

1 hour ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

I have a cousin who has a similar truck (both silver).  His is a year newer than mine (2010 vs 2011).  His is rusting in the location above and mine is not.  One common denominator is I regularly wash my truck (by hand) and coat (wax, seal, or ceramic coated) my truck and he has not.  There is something to be said for this you can argue up and down it doesnt matter but it does play a huge part.  Also something interesting I have the fender liners in my truck and his does not (there go that theory of stuff getting trapped behind the liners)

Ryan,  I'd highly recommend if you haven't, to pull your taillights and shine a flashlight in there. Where your inner fender meet your outer sheet metal is where that rust starts. Hose that out real good and then get some Fluid Film or ACF-50 sprayed in there. 

I've done it to all my trucks in the past  including my new 2018. So many NNBS's running around here with the paint bubbling or already rusted thru at that location over the rear tire.

I'm sure you have done a lot better job of protecting it from happening by just keeping it washed regularly then most. 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:34 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Did you get a new truck?  You drive a 2wd, standard cab V6...even MSRP wasn't half of that. 

Rhetorical question that. They haven't made a truck I'd spend $80K on. I could have bought Pepper four times over for that price, literally, and likely spent twice as much as I should have considering all in all. Oh she's been a good one but still....even with my OCD care her future is surrounded in doubts given the "I could care less" OEM design of things. Time will tell but there will not be a second NEW one. We are not getting 'value' for the $$$$ we spend. IMHO. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/6/2019 at 11:12 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

We are not getting 'value' for the $$$$ we spend.

Because you are not paying for a Truck.

You are also bailing out GMAC after they started financing illegals with nothing but 2 utility bills showing an address. They fled the country and never made a payment.

You are paying for those losses. Do you think GMAC is financing illegals right now?

Only way they will move product. You WILL pay for it.

Edited by Paintor