engine stop start

19 hours ago, kent sparrow said:

that will happen if the key fob is in your pocket and you walk away with the engine running. it will also honk when you shut your door with the key fob left in the truck. you can change that in your settings.

I'll check the settings 

I was talking to a Certified GM mechanic today and he told me the auto stop/start has programming that if you are in stop and go traffic and it stops and starts more than 2 times in 10 seconds the system disables it until the truck exceeds 30mph. Then it is active again and will perform like usual.

For those that choose to use this feature, it will be interesting to see what the life cycle is of the starter and battery compared to engines without the stop start thing. Also, it may not be much but generally it has been the position of the industry that 90% of engine wear occurs at start up.  That may only pertain to cold startup, but it does cause one to give pause about letting the feature work.

The OEM just can't seem to come up with enough ways to convince me never to buy a 1500 series pickup truck again.

Edited by Cowpie

22 hours ago, rikhek said:

Nothing to check in settings as current settings are clear , you just need to change them to what you want...

I went thru all the settings , how do you change it and what do you look for

Start-stop technology is not a bad idea.

I think that the days are gone, when an engine used an excessive amount of fuel at start-up. Thanks to direct injection and/or other technologies.

Back in the days they used to say that you only save fuel when the engine is off for more than 15 seconds.

The only thing what keeps me hesitant is the use of an old style starter system.

Due to my job, I'm starting my truck at least 15 times a day and I feel bad about the starter, so that at times I just leave the truck running.

If I knew that my (or a potential new) truck has a non mechanical starting system, like a starter/alternator-flywheel-kinda-thing w/o mechanical parts involved, I wouldn't think twice about it.

so long

j-ten-ner

New AT4 owner here. Love it!

Starters and engines are mechanical parts. They wear with use. In homage to previous old-school mentions in this thread, I will never forget being stranded in sub-zero weather with a failing starter (having to give it a good solid whack to get going). Yes, that is from my $500 first car days.

I’ll stick to turning mine off at engine start - interesting enough the list gets longer almost akin to a pre-flight check. I’d rather preserve the expense later of having to get a starter replaced prematurely. 

After having pulled dash components off my ‘17 canyon to do a two-way install, I shudder at getting into my AT4 dash to jumper that start switch with a home-brew solid state toggle circuit. After reading from those in this tread who dislike the feature, maybe I could find an easier access point and make one available for general use. ;-) 

Some Cracker Jack programmer will come along and be able to program-out that “feature”. Much in the same way someone reverse engineered my ‘06 Pontiac GTO and allowed you to put custom vanity text on the driver information center. 

Anyway, happy trucking folks and thanks to the forum management for providing this venue. 

1 hour ago, mistergmc said:

New AT4 owner here. Love it!

Starters and engines are mechanical parts. They wear with use. In homage to previous old-school mentions in this thread, I will never forget being stranded in sub-zero weather with a failing starter (having to give it a good solid whack to get going). Yes, that is from my $500 first car days.

I’ll stick to turning mine off at engine start - interesting enough the list gets longer almost akin to a pre-flight check. I’d rather preserve the expense later of having to get a starter replaced prematurely. 

After having pulled dash components off my ‘17 canyon to do a two-way install, I shudder at getting into my AT4 dash to jumper that start switch with a home-brew solid state toggle circuit. After reading from those in this tread who dislike the feature, maybe I could find an easier access point and make one available for general use. ;-) 

Some Cracker Jack programmer will come along and be able to program-out that “feature”. Much in the same way someone reverse engineered my ‘06 Pontiac GTO and allowed you to put custom vanity text on the driver information center. 

Anyway, happy trucking folks and thanks to the forum management for providing this venue. 

FYI - Range Technology already has a plug in to eliminate start/stop

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 1:04 PM, mistergmc said:

interesting enough the list gets longer almost akin to a pre-flight check.

No kidding.

Brake,

Ignition,

AS/S disable,

Seat heater,

Steering wheel heater,

Release parking brake,

Drive gear,

Careful not to do any too quickly, the truck can't always keep up.

• 2 months later...

After about a month of driving my new RST, I’m still 50/50 on the auto-stop. Here’s my thoughts... 

1. I notice it really does not kick in when the AC is working hard, which is basically always in TX after April 1, lol. And when it does, the engine comes back on by itself within less than a minute, I’ve found. 
  2. It really does work well, and has very quick take up when you move your foot off the gas. 
  3. I do, however, find it stammer a little whenever I really want to get on the gas after it has turned the engine off. E.g. sitting at a stop sign to turn left across a 4-lane road, and having to scoot out quickly to clear the immediate on-coming traffic. It just feels like it’s a split second “wait” on being able to accelerate quickly from a dead stop. 
  4. More regular conditions, however (stop lights, heavy traffic), it’s not as noticeable and works quite well. 

Conclusion: I usually switch it off 50% of the time, but the other 50% I forget and just leave it alone. 

• Thanks 1