What did you pay for your truck?

Around here the Ford dealers don't give much anyway.  Makes Fords a lot more expensive for what you get.

Just went car shopping for the wife this weekend, looking for a minivan.  Being used to Chevy, I'm expecting there to be $10-12k on the hood to take off the sticker price.  Apparently not so with the Hondas and the Toyotas of the world.

Getting a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.  Only $2000 mfg rebate and $6000 dealer discount.  BUT here in California they really want us to buy plug-in hybrids.  Getting $7500 federal tax credit, $2500 state rebate, $2000 from the local air district, and another $800 from PG&E -- total $11,800 in addition to the $8000 off the sticker price.  DEAL!

I gave all three manufacturers a chance for my dually. RAM jerked me around for 3 Mths. Ford ignored me and GM dealers as well. So I rate them all equally as crap. After 5 mths I stumbled across a GM dealer that wanted to move product and at a tremendous deal, 5 hours from, took 2 days on the phone and they kept giving me a better deal, truck delivered to my home following week. Ford finally got back to me but still didn’t listen. Local GM dealer asked why I didn’t buy from them, I told them. Anyway, first GM product for me - 2019 GMC Denali 3500 HD and I like it. ;)

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet.  Picked up a new Harley last spring (50th) birthday.  My last two bikes I’ve pretty much purchased every 10 years.  I’ve been wanting a new truck for the longest time, but the Mrs said   “ you should’ve never bought the new bike, kept your old one.  Kinda regretting my decision now but just wanted to comment on everyone’s thoughts when it comes to prices, especially in Canada.  Yeah ... sticker shock is an understatement  !!!!   When a half tonne pickup is going for 90 grand plus that is insane. And anyone paying that much is outta there mind.  Sure Harley-Davidsons are no different some models CVO custom vehicle operations pushing 55 grand plus up here before taxes is absurd ..especially when your riding barely 6 months up here..I’m gonna wait it out for now.  If I get tired of riding I may just pack it in, and get a new truck.  There’s a few left over 2018 Denali 1500’s at some fairly decent prices.   Saw a 2018 6.2 Denali 22” wheels going for $61,500. Msrp was $78,645.  It wasn’t an ultimate package though.   So to all you folks crying about high prices I feel ya...

Cheers,

Joe 

1 hour ago, JimTX said:

Just got my 19 Silverado RST with convenience 2,  all star, leather packages. MSRP 49,900. Paid $36,800 after rebates and working with the dealer on the last day of the month. That’s before TT&L. 

Seeing prices like this, as much as people complain about sticker prices going up, a truck like that is one heck of a great value for under $40k, let alone $36k and change. You really get a lot of truck for your money. 

I don't do new, let someone else eat the depreciation.  PIcked up my lightly used CPO '16 CC LT 4x4 for $24k with warranty until 2022.  I have this truck, my X3, and $10k leftover for what the same truck, in '18/19, would cost.  I also don't replace every couple of years, I still rotate my '84 GMC and '86 442 in the daily driving mix to spread the 35k miles I do a year.

5 minutes ago, dukedkt442 said:

I don't do new, let someone else eat the depreciation.  PIcked up my lightly used CPO '16 CC LT 4x4 for $24k with warranty until 2022.  I have this truck, my X3, and $10k leftover for what the same truck, in '18/19, would cost.  I also don't replace every couple of years, I still rotate my '84 GMC and '86 442 in the daily driving mix to spread the 35k miles I do a year.

I was talking to a body shop owner the other day... he was saying that’s going to get harder and harder to do with these modern vehicles. There is too much tech, they are going to end up being like computers where after 10 years the costs to fix all that complex stuff is going to make the vehicles unfeasible to keep. 

1 minute ago, scdaren said:

I was talking to a body shop owner the other day... he was saying that’s going to get harder and harder to do with these modern vehicles. There is too much tech, they are going to end up being like computers where after 10 years the costs to fix all that complex stuff is going to make the vehicles unfeasible to keep. 

All depends on what goes wrong; I do everything myself so labor cost isn't an issue.  I have the dealer software for my '08 X3 on my 2008 laptop, so coding/resets aren't a problem, I'll do the same for the truck if needed.  I don't need "fluffy" conveniences like touchscreens or BT functioning, just the drivetrain.  Sensors and modules can be easily replaced.  My '80s junk is still running original (mediocre) ECM with its vast array of sensors on an engine 10 years older than the computer (that was never computerized to begin with) with no issues.  We'll see how this truck goes.  I'm not opposed to installing a stand-alone engine management system or even going carb if needed.  Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, dukedkt442 said:

All depends on what goes wrong; I do everything myself so labor cost isn't an issue.  I have the dealer software for my '08 X3 on my 2008 laptop, so coding/resets aren't a problem, I'll do the same for the truck if needed.  I don't need "fluffy" conveniences like touchscreens or BT functioning, just the drivetrain.  Sensors and modules can be easily replaced.  My '80s junk is still running original (mediocre) ECM with its vast array of sensors on an engine 10 years older than the computer (that was never computerized to begin with) with no issues.  We'll see how this truck goes.  I'm not opposed to installing a stand-alone engine management system or even going carb if needed.  Time will tell.

I think it has to do with all the sensors on the body of the vehicle. Someone taps your bumper, and what would have been a $1500 repair is now a $5000 repair. All the lane departure radar and cameras and stuff. 

Don’t fall for that. With a little planning, understanding and patience you can fix it all. Manufacturers of vehicles are pretty clueless and tend to use outdated and widely adopted tech making actual cost and maintenance profitable, so you might as well profit. I have a 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged as an example that has never seen a dealer. Never will. Amazing how inexpensive they really are. My new dually is not going to the dealer either. ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scdaren said:

I think it has to do with all the sensors on the body of the vehicle. Someone taps your bumper, and what would have been a $1500 repair is now a $5000 repair. All the lane departure radar and cameras and stuff. 

Good point, forgot about those.  I'm perfectly fine without them, and bypassing if needed.  Nothing I own has ever been tapped in over 30 years, so that isn't really a concern for me; don't misunderstand, I fully agree with the added complexity and increased costs of repair, I just don't need it.  The only reason I got the '16 is because I needed a CC that was rust free (I'm personally not a fan of doing body work and loathe painting), and being in salt country, my options were limited.  It's easier to prevent rust or failure than it is to fix it. :thumbs:

Seeing prices like this, as much as people complain about sticker prices going up, a truck like that is one heck of a great value for under $40k, let alone $36k and change. You really get a lot of truck for your money. 

Ya I was surprised. I was ready to get a Sierra SLT but the Chevy was too good of a deal to pass up. I looked at KBB and with 3,000 miles my trade in is around 41k. So I might just drive it a while and see how I like it and trade up to the GMC. The Chevy is fine but is missing some features that are nice to have. I financed with GM to get the additional 1,500 off which I included in the price I paid. Surprised i got a 5.2x% from GM. I was expecting to refinance shortly after the purchase but I might hold off now.

It’s a lot of truck for the money but some things have been disappointing. Not too many complaints though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BigWhiteMastadon said:

Don’t fall for that. With a little planning, understanding and patience you can fix it all. Manufacturers of vehicles are pretty clueless and tend to use outdated and widely adopted tech making actual cost and maintenance profitable, so you might as well profit. I have a 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged as an example that has never seen a dealer. Never will. Amazing how inexpensive they really are. My new dually is not going to the dealer either. ;)

If you can do that, I think you are in a shrinking minority.  Most people nowadays are like me, I don't have the time, space, or let alone skill.  That's why my trucks get traded in when the warranty runs out, usually 100k miles and about two and a half years.

Just got quoted for a 19 trailboss lt crew cab standard box (which seems almost impossible to find atm) leather, convenience pkg 2 with advanced trailer pkg, MSRP $54700 for $44800 thinking it's a good deal atm as I just started looking, probably gonna pick it up tomorrow being I really want the crew can with a standard bed and all the trucks around me are the short box.. Truck looks so much bigger than my double cab midnight edition!!!! I'll put some pics up tomorrow.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jason Fuller said:

Just got quoted for a 19 trailboss lt crew cab standard box (which seems almost impossible to find atm) leather, convenience pkg 2 with advanced trailer pkg, MSRP $54700 for $44800 thinking it's a good deal atm as I just started looking, probably gonna pick it up tomorrow being I really want the crew can with a standard bed and all the trucks around me are the short box.. Truck looks so much bigger than my double cab midnight edition!!!! I'll put some pics up tomorrow.

That’s a good price. If you like the truck, I would bite on it. TB incentives haven’t been too generous yet, so you’re doing well on that deal.