2018 Sierra owner looking at 2017 Cruze as daily driver/spare car.

Wanting a third vehicle as daily driver to keep miles down on 2018 Sierra and 2016 Traverse. Thinking about looking for a reasonably low mileage 2017 Cruze. Any input appreciated.

Apparently, GM will will no longer be making it, you won’t find parts for it later and resale will be horrendous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I was concerned about parts and service but have read up and it sounds like parts and service will be available. Examples are all the Saturn's, Pontiac's, and Oldmobiles still on the road. I was hoping to leverage the discontinuing of the model and the fact so many were produced into a cheaper puchase price compared to similar rides. I don't really worry about resale as I would plan to hold it and use it to protect value of my other vehicles. I drove a rental Cruze while in Louisiana this summer and for a compact car was reasonably impressed with the ride, build quality, and room.

• Like 1

Thanks. I was concerned about parts and service but have read up and it sounds like parts and service will be available. Examples are all the Saturn's, Pontiac's, and Oldmobiles still on the road. I was hoping to leverage the discontinuing of the model and the fact so many were produced into a cheaper puchase price compared to similar rides. I don't really worry about resale as I would plan to hold it and use it to protect value of my other vehicles. I drove a rental Cruze while in Louisiana this summer and for a compact car was reasonably impressed with the ride, build quality, and room.

You can get an older model Toyota or Lexus with much more dependability and resale value. Chevy Cruz was rated one of the worst used cars to buy in 2018 for reliability issues too. Good luck, lots out there.

I own a 2004 pontiac grand am, currently with 199,000 miles.

If you can stand to ride in a small car, it can be worth it to save fuel and keep miles off the truck!

I've had no trouble finding parts for a brand that no longer exists. I have never been in a cruz, and have no opinion on that model in particular. But my wife previously had a 09 toyota camry and I hated driving that thing. I'll take my old grand am any day. When my car eventually dies, I'm going to see if I can find a used chrysler 200 (another dead brand, haha)

small cars can be cheaper to own and insure, so I say go for it as long as you are comfortable in it.

I'm a GM guy; with that said I'd stay away from a Cruze.  When my oldest son got his license a few years back I found a CPO 2012 Cruze with 31K.  Locally owned car.  Spoke to the owners who had good luck with it.  With the CPO it was basically under bumper to bumper for 4/48.  From the time we bought it every 2-3 months it was in for some issue.  Air conditioning, leaks, radio unresponsive, coil pack bad, sensor bad in emissions.  When it passed 5 years and the powertrain ran out it began to slip on the 3-4 gear change (and yes I had did tranny service).  We dumped the lemon.  It was one of those cars that kept me seeing my service guy.  As much as it pains me to say it, if you are going small car you'd be better to look at Hondtoynisssubadai.  Just my $0.02

Edited by Foghorn17

I would look at CPOs and leftovers. Toyota, Honda, Mazda, even Sonata, Optima. I got lucky last year picked up a new leftover Camry for 17K. I wasn’t even considering a Camry couldn’t beat the price.

I assume the Sierra is yours and the Traverse is the DD of your significant other. If that's not the case, DD the Traverse or dump it. 

My primary driver is my BMW. Not for the fuel savingings (only a couple MPG better than the truck).  More because it is bottoming out in depreciation so I might as well put miles on it and it's more fun to drive. 

50 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I would look at CPOs and leftovers. Toyota, Honda, Mazda, even Sonata, Optima. I got lucky last year picked up a new leftover Camry for 17K. I wasn’t even considering a Camry couldn’t beat the price.

If CPO is certified prior-owned then yes and thanks? Also, considering a used Malibu. 

If CPO is certified prior-owned then yes and thanks? Also, considering a used Malibu. 

Yes, my son bought a CPO Malibu a few years ago. Out side of replacing a 400$ battery one of two, for start- stop he likes it.

15 minutes ago, Birdwatcher62 said:

Yes, it's  been awhile since I've had anything other than a AWD or 4WD.

I grew up driving a FWD car. They are the easiest to control in the snow outside of a 4WD truck.

I honestly feel as "in control" in my grand am in the snow as I do in the truck. I realize that powering all 4 wheels only helps with acceleration. Your braking and steering are not improved by by having another driven axle. But my grand am doesn't have ABS or traction control either, so I actually do control it myself.

Buying anything used or CPO runs the same risks of getting a lemon. If you're looking for a DD or "beater" its just a give and take of price point, how new you want and what features you want. I personally would look for something about 5 years old- 50k miles. That should get you down to near $10 for a small/mid-size car.