I have a 99 Silverado 4x4 and I there have been a couple times when I'm making a tight turn like into a parking spot that it feels like I have no brakes. I brought it into my old guy who fixes things for me  that I can't and he said the brakes seem to function fine and there are no codes showing up so he thinks its probably a sensor not picking things up properly due to a wheel bearing starting to get loose. He was reluctant to just start replacing things not being sure exactly which wheel was the issue (which a I appreciated) and suggested I pull the ABS fuse and put it back in every few months until the issue got to the point where it would trigger a code. I live in Minnesota so the ABS is a nice feature and I hate having warning lights on the dash. This guy is usually really good with these older vehicles, but I would like to see what others think could be wrong or give me ideas on how to diagnose.

Thanks

You haven't replaced the brakes lately and when you push the caliper pins in forget to open the bleed screw and let the brake fluid flow out the rear of the caliper. A lot of people don't realize that pushing backwards back in the ABS module can damage it.

Check the fluid and if it's black or dark then flush the system as gunk may be in there.

If your mechanic didn't do it Jack the wheel off the ground on front one side at a time about 1-2 inches and use a pry bar and while prying up and releasing push in and pull out on upper part of tire and feel for a loose bearing.

Check the wiring over thoroughly and make sure you don't have any breaks in it anywhere. Check for binds or stretching of wiring when you have the wheel turned right.

Being a 99 it probably only has 2 wheel ABS as my 04 Tahoe has just the front wheels as that was the norm until mid 2000's when they changed it. I want to say 05-06 maybe sooner on vehicles optioned with it as I have a 04 Base model over here in Sioux Falls South Dakota.

With the proper tools you can measure the pressure the calipers are putting out with the wheel off and the caliper pulled off the rotor. It can tell me if I have a caliper pin or pins sticking, not applying equal pressure on same caliper pins or from one side to the other side of the vehicle. The kit came with 2 pressure pads and they each have a pressure gauge.

Saw it and bought it and waiting to try it out and review it next spring / summer possibly.

You said the ABS isn't on but when you're turning the wheel right and this happens does the brake or ABS light come on at all or even momentarily? If so this could help diagnose. Remember you're in the rust belt so the hub assemble may be starting to show it's ugly face. Good thing is they're easy enough you can change it yourself. I changed one a few years ago when I went to Northwest Iowa and on the way back I could hear the wheel bearing going bad. Pulled into Jackson MN and went to Sturdevants and got one there since I get em at shop rate. They loaned me most of the tools, impact wrench included to change it in the bank parking lot adjacent to their building. I only bought the tools I scratched which was 2 sockets and a $20 Ratchet so it was money well saved.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk