Oil pressure on “cold” start

Just an observation this evening. Have a 2017 Suburban, 3500 miles (purchased Jan, 2018). Temp outside this evening after work was -18*. Running original Synthetic 0w20 I believe, has not been changed yet (changing oil soon).  Hit the start button and up and running. Oil pressure rolled up to 40, then a few seconds later rolled up to 60. It stayed at 60 for 10-15 seconds then ticked down to 50, stopped there for a second then down to 40.  When its “warm” it’s normally at 40 (+/- 3), so anywhere from 37-43ish.

Was just curious if this was normal? First time starting in that cold of weather, have never seen it do that before.  I’m sure others have been in much worse so looking for other experiences.

I have a diesel truck that simply starts at a higher pressure when it’s cold then slowly moves down.  Have never seen a gasser move like this, and fairly quick between the movements. It wasn’t a slow increase or decrease.  High temp for tomorrow is -16 so will be closer to -20+ when started tomorrow night. Will watch it again.

Just an observation this evening. Have a 2017 Suburban, 3500 miles (purchased Jan, 2018). Temp outside this evening after work was -18*. Running original Synthetic 0w20 I believe, has not been changed yet (changing oil soon).  Hit the start button and up and running. Oil pressure rolled up to 40, then a few seconds later rolled up to 60. It stayed at 60 for 10-15 seconds then ticked down to 50, stopped there for a second then down to 40.  When its “warm” it’s normally at 40 (+/- 3), so anywhere from 37-43ish.
Was just curious if this was normal? First time starting in that cold of weather, have never seen it do that before.  I’m sure others have been in much worse so looking for other experiences.
I have a diesel truck that simply starts at a higher pressure when it’s cold then slowly moves down.  Have never seen a gasser move like this, and fairly quick between the movements. It wasn’t a slow increase or decrease.  High temp for tomorrow is -16 so will be closer to -20+ when started tomorrow night. Will watch it again.
Sounds pretty normal to me . Mine is usually at 40 when driving and at about 20 - 25 at idle , depends how much oil you have in there . Its normal to see it get to 60 at a cold start. These trucks consume oil also , so be sure to check your oil religiously at least once a week , if not .... you'll definitely have the "Oh shit!" Moment when you pull out your dip stick and its dry as a bone . Adding 2 or 3 quarts between oil changes is the norm .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Ira1976 said:

Sounds pretty normal to me . Mine is usually at 40 when driving and at about 20 - 25 at idle , depends how much oil you have in there . Its normal to see it get to 60 at a cold start. These trucks consume oil also , so be sure to check your oil religiously at least once a week , if not .... you'll definitely have the "Oh shit!" Moment when you pull out your dip stick and its dry as a bone . Adding 2 or 3 quarts between oil changes is the norm .

2 to 3 quarts between oil changes seems pretty excessive. How many miles are you putting on each cycle? I have had many 5.3’s and most between 5000 mile changes has been roughly just under a quart. 

• Like 1

2 to 3 quarts between oil changes seems pretty excessive. How many miles are you putting on each cycle? I have had many 5.3’s and most between 5000 mile changes has been roughly just under a quart. 
It's pretty much a work truck (luxury car service) I do more idling than most also, yeah about a qt every 2k . I know acouple of other guys with the same 2015 and 16's , we all do it .

1 hour ago, Ira1976 said:

It's pretty much a work truck (luxury car service) I do more idling than most also, yeah about a qt every 2k . I know acouple of other guys with the same 2015 and 16's , we all do it .

57 minutes ago, The Zip said:

That's not normal for my oil changes.  If I added that much between changes my stick would show about 2 and 1/2 qts too much.  

I agree, seems like a lot. How many miles on the truck?