Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have a 2012 GMC Sierra with 150,000 miles. The 5.3 litre engine has had the oil changed every time the oil life has hit 30% , around 5 to 6 thousand miles. The oil pressure dropped and I replaced the oil pressure sending unit (opsu) and the problem was fixed for about a month. The old screen filter under the opsu was dirty but not severely clogged. After about a month the oil pressure dropped to 20 lbs and the check engine light came back on. I am considering pulling the opsu back out , @ operating temperature, and squirting brake cleaner or something down the oil passage followed by 2 hot oil changes.  My question is , 1: is this a good idea?, 2: where does that oil passage directly lead to?

42 minutes ago, Jason Morgan said:

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have a 2012 GMC Sierra with 150,000 miles. The 5.3 litre engine has had the oil changed every time the oil life has hit 30% , around 5 to 6 thousand miles. The oil pressure dropped and I replaced the oil pressure sending unit (opsu) and the problem was fixed for about a month. The old screen filter under the opsu was dirty but not severely clogged. After about a month the oil pressure dropped to 20 lbs and the check engine light came back on. I am considering pulling the opsu back out , @ operating temperature, and squirting brake cleaner or something down the oil passage followed by 2 hot oil changes.  My question is , 1: is this a good idea?, 2: where does that oil passage directly lead to?

AFM engines do not like incorrect oil, dirty oil, or additives in the oil.  I would not add anything to the crankcase but oil that is Dexos1 or Dexos1 Gen 2 approved.  I've seen several guys on these forums using top quality oils from Mobil One that were not Dexos rated and they had engine problems.

image.jpeg.b422d8601c6ffbcec9b1ab54823889e7.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Jason Morgan said:

Hard pass on shooting brake clean down the oil galley.

What brand oil filters are you using?  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

IMO

Shorten your oil change intrevals or use a better quality oil.

Use some Sea Foam in the crankcase before an oil change.

See instructions here

https://seafoamsales.com/knowledge-base/how-to-add-sea-foam-motor-treatment-to-crankcase-oil/

It will clean it out. Might take a few times.

:)

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 12:24 PM, Jason Morgan said:

You have one of the earlier AFM engines with different piston Ring pack,Valve covers, PCV system.  My recommendation is to utilize BG products and you will be good to go.  BG clean the engine thourghly and change your screen for the last time.  USE BG EPR product every time you get ready to dump oil @5K miles.  Don't get confused with a darn good engine and crappy one when all you need to do is be a little proactive.  They are good engines..good luck!