Transmission Fluid Change Intervals

My truck is 40k miles and I just replaced my Filter and re-filled the Trans with OEM ACDelco fluid (6-7 Quarts)

Everything went perfectly

I like to do my intervals short, so I just have to replace fluid with new one instead of having to do a complete flush later

• Like 1

a little trick i found from a mechanic is to use 3/8" poly line from the hardware store, it plugs directly into the trans cooler in the radiator. run each line into an empty gallon jug, then start engine. waite until no more fluid is pumped out, shut off motor,  then insert the suction line into a fresh jug of Dextron fluid. it will suck up the clean fluid and refill your tranny. 

you might want to use this methode to drain the pan, then insert a new trans filter before sucking in fresh Dextron

• Like 2

On 2/10/2019 at 5:16 PM, flyingfool said:

a little trick i found from a mechanic is to use 3/8" poly line from the hardware store, it plugs directly into the trans cooler in the radiator. run each line into an empty gallon jug, then start engine. waite until no more fluid is pumped out, shut off motor,  then insert the suction line into a fresh jug of Dextron fluid. it will suck up the clean fluid and refill your tranny. 

you might want to use this methode to drain the pan, then insert a new trans filter before sucking in fresh Dextron

That works for the 6 speed, I don't believe you can use that method for the 8 speed.  OP didn't state which one he has. 

I drop pan, replace filter and fluid before first recommended service in manual.

Then every ?  miles you're choice I use this to remove trans fluid through dip stick tube and refill.

This holds 8 quarts and has quart markings on it so you know how much you removed.

Easy, keeps fluid freshened up.

71d9gjROfML._SL1440_.jpg

Buy it here

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AJR8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:)

Edited by diyer2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, flyingfool said:

That might work if you don't have a cooler thermostat.