Scared of the K2

On 2/21/2019 at 8:48 PM, trobin1991 said:

I have been wanting a truck for close to 4 years now, and finally the time is coming for me to purchase. Have spent the last week test driving the 2019s which are AMAZING but at the end of the day I sit down and wonder if I really want to spend 50-55k on a new vehicle....My other wants in life are not gonna stop. I still have other goals, and other debts, and I just don't know if its the smartest move. I can probably pick up a 2016-2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT/Denali trim for around 30-40k depending on miles/year/trim/engine, however....I am terrified of the K2...are they beautiful, yes...but all the reading is just scaring me...chevy shake, transmission issues. Should I be scared of the K2 generation? I know the forums are where everybody comes to talk about issues, and is not something I should base my decision off of.....Just looking for some input. Going to test drive some used F150s next week. At the end of the day, I just don't know if I wanna cough up the money (55k) for a new vehicle, as the happiness that comes with purchasing new will likely die off fast. I know I am all over the map, but I don't wanna purchase something then regret it..... I love the 6.2 is it worth it/a deal breaker to just get the 5.3?....but as my pennie pinching father says....45mph is 45mph.....Just looking for a little input from the crowd.  Cheers. 

3 hours ago, trobin1991 said:

How so? Im a buyer looking for everybody opinions and appreciate every bit of input I get? How is that wasted space. 

Because in your very first post you state you’ve been test driving 2019 vehicles, list the terrifying shake and transmission problems that are obviously plaguing SOME of the K2 trucks but surly not all. We post some good some bad and even some off the wall stuff. Not sure you want to spend X amount of money, scared of the K2, already know the prices you’re looking at and THEN come back and tell us all how impressed you are with the Ford. Cool!!!! Go buy the Ford because nothing posted on this forum is going to guarantee you a trouble free truck, ESPECIALLY a used one. Since you knew the issues on the K2 (and I assume the Fords too) why didn’t you just go test drive used versions of them all, gather your thoughts and then bump those thoughts off both us and the Ford guys? To me, when I read your latest post about your Ford test drive and how impressive it was, it rubbed me the wrong way. Ya shoulda done that FIRST and you should have test driven every truck you even considered buying, noted good/bad and ugly of each one and then made a choice, it’s your money. Instead, you come on here, get 6 pages of replies and then drive a Ford. Buy the Ford because as you said, you don’t wanna regret your purchase. Well new or used, Chevy, Ford or Ram, white or black, 6.2 or 5.0, leather or cloth...NONE of it matters because none of us can give you an honest opinion on the unknown. So in my opinion, this has been a waste of 6 pages (and now about 10 minutes of my time) because you ALREADY knew about the K2 issues. I will say that I truly hope that whatever you end up buying makes you happy and regret free but nothing posted here will ensure that outcome. TEST DRIVE your viable options and go with that.

• Like 5

Of the 900,000+ trucks GM builds every year I would be willing to bet less than 1% of them have major issues. Probably even less than that.

The K2 is a solid truck no matter what you read on here .

That being said Ford's are riddled with constant recalls, blown engines, electronic issues and they also vibrate. 

Pound for pound I guarantee Ford's have way more issues than the GM trucks have. So have fun with your F150. Ford dealers have large waiting rooms.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, SS502 said:

Because in your very first post you state you’ve been test driving 2019 vehicles, list the terrifying shake and transmission problems that are obviously plaguing SOME of the K2 trucks but surly not all. We post some good some bad and even some off the wall stuff. Not sure you want to spend X amount of money, scared of the K2, already know the prices you’re looking at and THEN come back and tell us all how impressed you are with the Ford. Cool!!!! Go buy the Ford because nothing posted on this forum is going to guarantee you a trouble free truck, ESPECIALLY a used one. Since you knew the issues on the K2 (and I assume the Fords too) why didn’t you just go test drive used versions of them all, gather your thoughts and then bump those thoughts off both us and the Ford guys? To me, when I read your latest post about your Ford test drive and how impressive it was, it rubbed me the wrong way. Ya shoulda done that FIRST and you should have test driven every truck you even considered buying, noted good/bad and ugly of each one and then made a choice, it’s your money. Instead, you come on here, get 6 pages of replies and then drive a Ford. Buy the Ford because as you said, you don’t wanna regret your purchase. Well new or used, Chevy, Ford or Ram, white or black, 6.2 or 5.0, leather or cloth...NONE of it matters because none of us can give you an honest opinion on the unknown. So in my opinion, this has been a waste of 6 pages (and now about 10 minutes of my time) because you ALREADY knew about the K2 issues. I will say that I truly hope that whatever you end up buying makes you happy and regret free but nothing posted here will ensure that outcome. TEST DRIVE your viable options and go with that.

Lol, well first and foremost I am sorry I made you sit down and read this entire thread and take up your time writing the above post. Secondly, I disagree with the method of operations your suggesting, I prefer to go into a test drive know everything single detail about the vehicle, every issues that has arisen, and how it plans to be addressed should it arise. I come here, and the ford forum and the ram forums for INFORMATION, and information is exactly what I got, and I appreciate everybody input into the matter.  "NONE of it matters because none of us can give you an honest opinion on the unknown". Disagree, because as I stated before, I like going into a test drive with knowledge, knowledge is power, no matter the situation. Yes their are unknown, that comes with EVERYTHING you buy....mower, house, fridge, washer/dryer...Shit breaks and nothing is made quality any more, Why? Well, if you manufacture something that will have issues around the 5-10 year mark, you guarantee more business and revenue. FACT. Yes, I knew about the K2 issues, just like i know about the ford issues, and the ram issues, and I was gathering information from the crowd to see if others have had those issues  and everybody OPINIONS on the subject, cause I can't just take what I read on Car and Drive and go with it......, Unfortunately the GM I drove, had BOTH of them at 30k miles, did it turn me off a tad, yeah...I think it would anybody.... does it mean I'm not gonna TD any more K2s, no. So, that being said, I would NOT change a single thing I have done. I would still make this post, I would still ask questions, and I would still drive other manufacturers. Cheers! :) 

28 minutes ago, trobin1991 said:

Lol, well first and foremost I am sorry I made you sit down and read this entire thread and take up your time writing the above post. Secondly, I disagree with the method of operations your suggesting, I prefer to go into a test drive know everything single detail about the vehicle, every issues that has arisen, and how it plans to be addressed should it arise. I come here, and the ford forum and the ram forums for INFORMATION, and information is exactly what I got, and I appreciate everybody input into the matter.  "NONE of it matters because none of us can give you an honest opinion on the unknown". Disagree, because as I stated before, I like going into a test drive with knowledge, knowledge is power, no matter the situation. Yes their are unknown, that comes with EVERYTHING you buy....mower, house, fridge, washer/dryer...Shit breaks and nothing is made quality any more, Why? Well, if you manufacture something that will have issues around the 5-10 year mark, you guarantee more business and revenue. FACT. Yes, I knew about the K2 issues, just like i know about the ford issues, and the ram issues, and I was gathering information from the crowd to see if others have had those issues  and everybody OPINIONS on the subject, cause I can't just take what I read on Car and Drive and go with it......, Unfortunately the GM I drove, had BOTH of them at 30k miles, did it turn me off a tad, yeah...I think it would anybody.... does it mean I'm not gonna TD any more K2s, no. So, that being said, I would NOT change a single thing I have done. I would still make this post, I would still ask questions, and I would still drive other manufacturers. Cheers! :) 

If nothing else, I respect you for standing your ground.

Edited by SS502

Lol, well first and foremost I am sorry I made you sit down and read this entire thread and take up your time writing the above post. Secondly, I disagree with the method of operations your suggesting, I prefer to go into a test drive know everything single detail about the vehicle, every issues that has arisen, and how it plans to be addressed should it arise. I come here, and the ford forum and the ram forums for INFORMATION, and information is exactly what I got, and I appreciate everybody input into the matter.  "NONE of it matters because none of us can give you an honest opinion on the unknown". Disagree, because as I stated before, I like going into a test drive with knowledge, knowledge is power, no matter the situation. Yes their are unknown, that comes with EVERYTHING you buy....mower, house, fridge, washer/dryer...Shit breaks and nothing is made quality any more, Why? Well, if you manufacture something that will have issues around the 5-10 year mark, you guarantee more business and revenue. FACT. Yes, I knew about the K2 issues, just like i know about the ford issues, and the ram issues, and I was gathering information from the crowd to see if others have had those issues  and everybody OPINIONS on the subject, cause I can't just take what I read on Car and Drive and go with it......, Unfortunately the GM I drove, had BOTH of them at 30k miles, did it turn me off a tad, yeah...I think it would anybody.... does it mean I'm not gonna TD any more K2s, no. So, that being said, I would NOT change a single thing I have done. I would still make this post, I would still ask questions, and I would still drive other manufacturers. Cheers! [emoji4] 

Your doing it right. I'm a GM fan to the max, but I'm not afraid to give a person something to think about. If I'm going to spend money on anything I'm going to research it for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, trobin1991 said:

Yep, got my fair share of research to do on that site as well. But as others have said....I agree that all automakers in 2019 are pretty much equivalent, and your gonna get a lemon with any manufacturer. Just not the way it used to be....

Good idea to do your research.  I agree that new vehicles are pretty much equivalent in many respects.  A lot of the  buying decision is subjective  and often leads to differences of opinion.  However, comparing brands based on used examples is a poor way to compare brands, imo.  If I was looking for a used truck, I'd pick the one in the best condition whether it was a Ford or GM.  If I had to buy a new truck today, it would be a GM.  I have purchased new and used vehicles for a long time and don't know what you mean by,  "Just not the way it used to be...."

2 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Good idea to do your research.  I agree that new vehicles are pretty much equivalent in many respects.  A lot of the  buying decision is subjective  and often leads to differences of opinion.  However, comparing brands based on used examples is a poor way to compare brands, imo.  If I was looking for a used truck, I'd pick the one in the best condition whether it was a Ford or GM.  If I had to buy a new truck today, it would be a GM.  I have purchased new and used vehicles for a long time and don't know what you mean by,  "Just not the way it used to be...."

Just referring to the fact that vehicles are not built to the same quality as they used to be, and thats just a volume issues. Could be wrong, but just my 0.2c

Just referring to the fact that vehicles are not built to the same quality as they used to be, and thats just a volume issues. Could be wrong, but just my 0.2c

You’ll find serious issues with each and every manufacturers, best to do your research. Here’s an example of an unsatisfied ford customer going back with GM
From F150 to Denali. (New member)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=33003&share_tid=219701&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egm-trucks%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fapplications%2Ftapatalk%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F219701-From-F150-to-Denali%2E-%28New-member%29%23entry2217740&share_type=t

Sent from above
  • Like 1

Not just scared of the K2.  Scared of anything since the GMT800 models.  GM never figures out the fixes for the current models before they move on to the next, more complicated, more expensive model.  The dealer Service Techs are overwhelmed and kick the can down the road until you're off of warranty, with their management only truly becoming interested in your problem when you're paying $85+ an hour for them to throw parts at a half-baked system designed by an electronics/computer genius.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

Not just scared of the K2.  Scared of anything since the GMT800 models.  

My sister in law bought the new $100k navigator, 1st one was a lemon and now second one is too. She’s going with GMC Yukon XL like mine which has been problem free for 40k miles. My brother in law both being Ford people and because of having bad luck with so many Fords he’s now looking at GMC’s too. It happens.

Sent from above
  • Like 4

Having owned trucks since 1972 the K2 is the most capable and quietist I have owned . Quality of general truck ranks well in my opinion. Trouble starts lurking with traction control, stabiltrack, torque management etc. AFM etc. It takes alot more parts and pieces to make all these systems to work properly . Also factor in most all mechanical repair of these systems require that good old 100+an hour tech. Well with age and mileage bound to see system failures older trucks merely did not have . But Ram and Ford got most of these systems in one form or another. Same with these newer trannys. When all is working they nice but when not get out your wallet and hang on. It is the Quality of all these extra parts it takes to make the above mentioned to work that scares me somewhat .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

My sister in law bought the new $100k navigator, 1st one was a lemon and now second one is too. She’s going with GMC Yukon XL like mine which has been problem free for 40k miles. My brother in law both being Ford people and because of having bad luck with so many Fords he’s now looking at GMC’s too. It happens.

Sent from above

That is an expensive Lemon! 

Untitled-1.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

My sister in law bought the new $100k navigator, 1st one was a lemon and now second one is too. 

Sent from above

No surprise there.

Ford , Mercury same things

Fix Or Replace Daily.

Found On Road Dead.

• Like 3