Unsettling Experience

3 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

More likely going back to Ford. I liked the F-150 but Chevy had better incentives. Now I see why.

I haven't seen anything good incentive wise with anyone lately....except Ram.  

Quite a bit of dirt on it would imply it's bumpy.

Nevertheless, I shouldn't be steering it to avoid hitting people. I was surprised at how badly it handled the terrain.

I bought it $10k off MSRP. Similar as Ram.

It's evident that you can't be experienced in driving a variety of trucks in a variety of off road conditions. Every truck, will react differently on a surface due to a number of factors. Those include but aren't limited to: the surface itself, tires, suspension, wheelbase, and weight. Now considering you have a z71 suspension, it's relatively stiff compared to other models. Every truck will do what you experienced under the right conditions. My 2014 z71 our main highway would rattle your brains out due to its lack of dampening. The pavement wasn't broken but heaved due to frost and freeze thaw. I put some 5100s on it, and she handled the same bumps like a champ. Still bumpy mind you, but no need for traction control to kick in. My Crew Cab Standard Box NHT reacts extremely different on the same stretch of road.

I used to have to drive down dirt roads for hours at 40 to 50mph to go to work. Everyday for weeks at a time. I drove a 2014 Ford FX4 crew cab standard box and 2014 Sierra double cab all terrain. Hit the right bumps and the rear end kicks out. Sometimes violently. Always in the exact same sections of road. The right bumps will cause conditions to have the rear slide out. You don't have perfect traction. It's simple to understand. In my expereicne the Ford would more commonly kick the rear end out, but the GMC was much more violent when it did.

You even stated yourself that you let off the gas. You do realize that would cause a weight transfer forward. Resulting in less traction from your rear wheels. 

The only logical conclusion is you were driving too fast for the conditions. There is no safety issue with the truck. You're the safety issue. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

I still would never expect that at 35 mph. I was on a paved road that was dirty. I have never experienced that on the two Ford trucks I've owned since 2012. I guess I have to drive slower on the Chevy.

Edited by Wiggums

17 hours ago, Wiggums said:

The road itself was flooded a few weeks before so it had quite a bit of dirt on it.

It was straight and dry that day.

I was going 35 and let off the gas. No brakes.

The rear axle shuddered and I was quite a bit off angle-wise, forcing me to steer from hitting the guy.

I am a little pissed about that, I bought that a week ago. I have never experienced that in any one of my vehicles.

Were you more sober when you were driving than you were when you posted this?

Edited by Schmoe
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, Wiggums said:

No flashing, it was running. Still surprised at how the rear axle shuddered and I got off angle wise. At least 15 degrees. Had to steer, poor guy jumped in his lawn. Don't think he got my plates so I'm good

Enough said...go back to Ford or better yet...UBER

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The road itself was flooded a few weeks before so it had quite a bit of dirt on it.

It was straight and dry that day.

I was going 35 and let off the gas. No brakes.

The rear axle shuddered and I was quite a bit off angle-wise, forcing me to steer from hitting the guy.

I am a little pissed about that, I bought that a week ago. I have never experienced that in any one of my vehicles.

I’m not sure if what describing is a anti lock brakes and stability control issues or no brakes at all. No matter what surface you were on your truck should have stayed straight. Another problem I’ve read about and happen with to my son is with two suburbans a 15 and a 17 is brake failure or stalling. Some have said it’s a ground issue. He couldn’t get those resolved. Whatever it is you’re vehicle is supposed to stay straight regardless of road conditions. Your stopping distance will vary. That’s how the nannies are supposed to work. Of course the kool-aid drinkers are going to say it must be your fault. Stopped maneuvers is one of things that you have little control of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I’m not sure if what describing is a anti lock brakes and stability control issues or no brakes at all. No matter what surface you were on your truck should have stayed straight. Another problem I’ve read about and happen with to my son is with two suburbans a 15 and a 17 is brake failure or stalling. Some have said it’s a ground issue. He couldn’t get those resolved. Whatever it is you’re vehicle is supposed to stay straight regardless of road conditions. Your stopping distance will vary. That’s how the nannies are supposed to work. Of course the kool-aid drinkers are going to say it must be your fault. Stopped maneuvers is one of things that you have little control of these days.

While it may not be his fault (why worry about someone getting your plate) the least he could have done is gone back and explained to that "poor guy" why he almost run him over. I like Kool-Aid, especially the Black Cherry variety :thumbs:

• Like 2

While it may not be his fault (why worry about someone getting your plate) the least he could have done is gone back and explained to that "poor guy" why he almost run him over. I like Kool-Aid, especially the Black Cherry variety :thumbs:

I’m a kool-aid drinker with an open mind. I think you are too.?

• Like 1

It’s the rear end, happened to me in my 14, a small amount of ripples in the road created a serious bucking issue in the rear and freaked me out too. I seriously think it’s a major GM rear end issue but I believe was resolved. I resolved mine with new shocks in the rear. I noticed it a bit in my 18 CC Z71 also but nothing like the 14 had and then lifted my truck with CST front coil overs and rear piggyback shocks and an add a leaf. Every vehicle has some sort of issues, my neighbor has a beautiful ford he hardly drives, he hates it and he even has a bit of a skip in the rear end.

Personally, IMHO, I’d switch out the rear shocks and add a few bags of sand in the back just to test out the angle of the rear end.

Sent from above

2 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I’m a kool-aid drinker with an open mind. I think you are too.?

Most of the time, that comment just rubbed me the wrong way but it is Monday so I will shut up and color,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1