Unsettling Experience

I used to drive fire roads a lot when I was younger going camping (hours at a time). I've had numerous trucks and all of them have had rear skip. I always chalked it up to having more weight in the front than the rear.  My opinion seems to be confirmed because it happened 100% of the time when I was going day hiking with no gear in the back and very seldom when I was going on a full camping trip with a few hundred pounds of gear in the back.

My assumption is that the front stays plant while a minor bump unsettles the rear and causes it to move in a direction that is not lined up with the front wheels. It has nothing to do with the brand and everything to do with physics. 

...and yes its a butt pucker-er when you when you go from straight to pointed into the side of the mountain or down a cliff. 

Edited by Chris walker
  • Like 1

I've dealt with that on curved roads and regularly expect it but will never expect it on a straight road when I'm not steering, braking or accelerating. The dry dirt was no more than an inch on top of the road. The dry dirt patch was about 8 feet long.

Overall, the handling does seem to be better than my Ford except for that one incident. My Ford's suspension was mostly softer. I'm guessing it's because of the Z71 trim on my Chevy. Just today, I took it off-roading and it was surprisingly soft because I thought the Z71 would have a more stiff ride than the base model. It handled rocks and terrain extremely well.

6 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Great advice and I'm definitely doing that when Ford comes up with an all-new model in 2020. If it was a mild annoyance, I would not have minded but this is a safety issue. Ridiculous, no wonder Ford sells a lot more trucks than Chevy.

Just leave already...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry if you can't take criticism... I just put you on ignore and you might want to do that. That way, I don't deal with Kool-aid drinkers. Enjoy.

• Sad 1

Out of this thread, 12 people are now blocked. I wasn't trolling or anything, what I had was a legitimate concern. If you can't dish it like real men, then I'll block you. I don't need your drivel. I also thank those who provided useful insight. I also thank those who mentioned that being a problem in some trucks. I also thank those who came up with suggestions.

I know Ford F-150's with the optional FX4 suspension handle much better, I didn't have that in any of my trucks. I am not looking for high-performance or anything and I thought having the Z71 would alleviate that.

Not once have I had that happen in any of the trucks I've owned. I've owned SUV's and I know they handle better than trucks. This was my first Chevy and I was shocked at how the rear axle shuddered so far off course, prompting me to quickly jerk the steering wheel. I pointed out the road was straight, I was going 35 on 50, I wasn't pushing any one of the pedals and I wasn't turning.

Like I've said, I'm hoping it's a one-time thing.

I never noticed an appreciable difference in ride between the Z71 and standard 4WD suspension.

I have noticed that the T1 is a little bit “hoppy” in the rear. The 19 Z71 I had as a loaner, and the 19 with the max trailer suspension that I own both had/have some bounce and tracking issues going over railroad tracks and broken roads (for which there are many after a long winter).

I have no proof, but I believe it’s probably a product of the weight reduction and stiffer springs. The max tow is really really stiff back there but I think even the Z71 and standard suspensions got a bit tighter in comparison to the K2s I’ve owned / driven. Obviously everything in the truck world now is geared toward numbers...highest payload, highest towing, etc. Don’t be surprised when the 2020 F-150 bounces around and rides like shit too because they will probably take the same steps to reduce weight and increase ratings.

Edited by OnTheReel

I felt the same way with the Ford F-150's standard suspension and the upgraded FX4 package suspension so I stuck with the regular F-150. I'm not into driving fast, just a nice soft suspension would do the job for me. I drive very slow compared to most people, rarely exceeding 65 mph on the highway even if the speed limit is 75. I am also a hypermiler and I employ lots of techniques to maximize the gas mileage. I'm currently getting 28 mpg out of mine. I rarely accelerate hard, I rarely brake hard, you'd probably hate me if you were a passenger.

Both of my previous F-150's were also hoppy in the back but I never nearly lost control in either one. The 2012 was a short bed with nothing in the back while the 2016 was a long bed with a shell. The long one with the shell had much more control than the 2012.

I'm not new to this, I've been driving trucks for the past eight years. I wasn't nearing an intersection, it was just a patch of dry dirt in the middle of a very straight road that almost made me lose control of the truck and I was going only 35 on 50. It was enough to piss me off, it was a safety concern. I'd never experienced that, and I hope I don't in the future.

Stiffer springs may be the culprit, I agree here. The Fords I had, both were softer than the Z71. I'm thinking about adding a tonneau cover.. just for the weight since the shell did improve my stability on my 2016. The problem with the shell on my 2016 F-150 was that my gas mileage dropped from 22 to 18 mpg. I'm not sure if I want to do that again. I remember seeing a video where a car with the tonneau cover got worse gas mileage compared to without, but not as bad as the one with the shell or even leaving the tailgate open.

I'm going to have to wait to see if the back end shifts again.

As for braking, I never hit the brakes during the whole incident. I only steered. On the Ford forums you provided, it was always during a turn. Not on a straight road with a little dirt clumped on top. One was at a highway speed. Mine was at 35 on 50 on a straight road.

And look at the responses from the other members. Much more civilized than what I'm getting here.

15 hours ago, Wiggums said:

I've dealt with that on curved roads and regularly expect it but will never expect it on a straight road when I'm not steering, braking or accelerating. The dry dirt was no more than an inch on top of the road. The dry dirt patch was about 8 feet long.

Overall, the handling does seem to be better than my Ford except for that one incident. My Ford's suspension was mostly softer. I'm guessing it's because of the Z71 trim on my Chevy. Just today, I took it off-roading and it was surprisingly soft because I thought the Z71 would have a more stiff ride than the base model. It handled rocks and terrain extremely well.

Here's the thing; your story doesn't add up. The laws of physics are against you, since there is no way an inch of dry dirt, by itself, can possibly propel your truck in the manner you are claiming it did. Either the road was rougher than you remember, or you hit something you didn't notice was there, or you're exaggerating the effect.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Out of this thread, 12 people are now blocked. I wasn't trolling or anything, what I had was a legitimate concern. If you can't dish it like real men, then I'll block you. I don't need your drivel. I also thank those who provided useful insight. I also thank those who mentioned that being a problem in some trucks. I also thank those who came up with suggestions.

I know Ford F-150's with the optional FX4 suspension handle much better, I didn't have that in any of my trucks. I am not looking for high-performance or anything and I thought having the Z71 would alleviate that.

Not once have I had that happen in any of the trucks I've owned. I've owned SUV's and I know they handle better than trucks. This was my first Chevy and I was shocked at how the rear axle shuddered so far off course, prompting me to quickly jerk the steering wheel. I pointed out the road was straight, I was going 35 on 50, I wasn't pushing any one of the pedals and I wasn't turning.

5 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

Here's the thing; your story doesn't add up. The laws of physics are against you, since there is no way an inch of dry dirt, by itself, can possibly propel your truck in the manner you are claiming it did. Either the road was rougher than you remember, or you hit something you didn't notice was there, or you're exaggerating the effect.

Uhh Ohh...Make that 13 people ignored by the troll

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

No kidding, Sherlock. It doesn't "add up" - that's why I was surprised at how much the rear end shifted off the ground, by almost a foot, which was enough for me to jerk the steering wheel to straighten it up. I mentioned that here only to see butt-hurt Chevy fanboys come to the defense, offering all kinds of unfounded speculations... I was speeding, inexperienced, or whatever they could come up with. That was just plain stupid, I've been driving trucks for years and have absolutely never experienced that. I know the laws of physics were against me that day, I would not have mentioned it if it was that bad. I had to suddenly jerk the steering wheel about a quarter to avoid hitting the guy, and people here wonder why I am a little pissed about that. So dumb, seriously.

OMG! Here's a possibility...No one here is butthurt except you. The reason why you're getting "unfounded speculation" is because no one in this whole forum has ever experienced driving 30 in a 50 on a dry, straight grade with pollen dust or whatever on the road and then all of the sudden their truck rear end is magically lifted off the ground and placed on the shoulder, as if by aliens or something. No one here has anything to offer you except to stop trolling and go back to Ford. You are continuing to bash everyone on here like you're some kind of expert or something and everyone else knows nothing. By your own admission you cannot replicate the "event horizon" that happened to your truck after dozens of attempts. Seems to me that there is nothing wrong with your truck. I don't think you will find anyone on here that will validate your attitude toward GM...

• Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:13 PM, Wiggums said:

It's a safety issue, Sherlock

Already calling people names, nice!

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, Wiggums said:

No flashing, it was running. Still surprised at how the rear axle shuddered and I got off angle wise. At least 15 degrees. Had to steer, poor guy jumped in his lawn. Don't think he got my plates so I'm good

What a nice guy...

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:57 PM, Wiggums said:

I'm regretting the purchase.

No pressure on any of the pedals on a dry terrain. It shouldn't be off angle wise.

Should have stuck with a Ford, it never did that. That Chevy is a piece of shit, there, I said it, you Chevy fanboys.

...and expects no repercussions, just wants love LOL

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:29 PM, Wiggums said:

More likely going back to Ford. I liked the F-150 but Chevy had better incentives. Now I see why.

Please go back...PLEASE

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:59 AM, Wiggums said:

On dry road, it's true. Apparently not on bumpy roads. Do I have to explain everything?

Well, you haven't done a very good job at explaining ANYTHING...

22 hours ago, Wiggums said:

It's a 2019 Silverado so I guess it's a T1.

This speaks volumes...

21 hours ago, Wiggums said:

I've driven on numerous roads that were covered in dirt. Not once have I had a vehicle nearly getting off the road especially since I wasn't pushing any one of the pedals on a very straight road.

Spent two days trying to replicate the problem but it's never happened again which is a good thing. The back end shifted about a foot away, forcing me to steer it back on the road quickly. The truck was about 4 ft off the lane.

But still bitching about a one time (even that's in question) event.

20 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Going 35 on a 50 mph road? Going completely straight on a straight road. None of the pedals were being pushed, I had eased on the gas because I could see the dry dirt on the road. None of the other vehicles have done that.

And the reason I didn't respond to him was because I have him (he was referring to me) on ignore. Want the picture? I'm surprised nobody thought about looking at my profile... but here it is:

Thank GOD

20 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Great advice and I'm definitely doing that when Ford comes up with an all-new model in 2020. If it was a mild annoyance, I would not have minded but this is a safety issue. Ridiculous, no wonder Ford sells a lot more trucks than Chevy.

Getting sick...

19 hours ago, Wiggums said:

That's why I mentioned the shell on my 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 with electronic locking axle and that could be the reason why it's never done that. I'd expect rear end skips on rough terrain, but not by this much. I had to jerk the steering wheel quickly afterwards.

I'm gonna puke...

15 hours ago, Wiggums said:

But still bitching about it...

13 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Sorry if you can't take criticism... I just put you on ignore and you might want to do that. That way, I don't deal with Kool-aid drinkers. Enjoy.

Who is it that can't take criticism???

12 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Block us all wow such a threat, and again you bring up the Ford...MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!

11 hours ago, Wiggums said:

I felt the same way with the Ford F-150's standard suspension and the upgraded FX4 package suspension so I stuck with the regular F-150. I'm not into driving fast, just a nice soft suspension would do the job for me. I drive very slow compared to most people, rarely exceeding 65 mph on the highway even if the speed limit is 75. I am also a hypermiler and I employ lots of techniques to maximize the gas mileage. I'm currently getting 28 mpg out of mine. I rarely accelerate hard, I rarely brake hard, you'd probably hate me if you were a passenger.

Both of my previous F-150's were also hoppy in the back but I never nearly lost control in either one. The 2012 was a short bed with nothing in the back while the 2016 was a long bed with a shell. The long one with the shell had much more control than the 2012.

I'm not new to this, I've been driving trucks for the past eight years. I wasn't nearing an intersection, it was just a patch of dry dirt in the middle of a very straight road that almost made me lose control of the truck and I was going only 35 on 50. It was enough to piss me off, it was a safety concern. I'd never experienced that, and I hope I don't in the future.

Stiffer springs may be the culprit, I agree here. The Fords I had, both were softer than the Z71. I'm thinking about adding a tonneau cover.. just for the weight since the shell did improve my stability on my 2016. The problem with the shell on my 2016 F-150 was that my gas mileage dropped from 22 to 18 mpg. I'm not sure if I want to do that again. I remember seeing a video where a car with the tonneau cover got worse gas mileage compared to without, but not as bad as the one with the shell or even leaving the tailgate open.

I'm going to have to wait to see if the back end shifts again.

As for braking, I never hit the brakes during the whole incident. I only steered. On the Ford forums you provided, it was always during a turn. Not on a straight road with a little dirt clumped on top. One was at a highway speed. Mine was at 35 on 50 on a straight road.

And look at the responses from the other members. Much more civilized than what I'm getting here.

I don't need to be a passenger...How many times can you mention Ford in one post? Evidentially quite a bit LOL, all this while you wait to see if it happens again...just make up your mind already! 

21 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

No kidding, Sherlock. It doesn't "add up" - that's why I was surprised at how much the rear end shifted off the ground, by almost a foot, which was enough for me to jerk the steering wheel to straighten it up. I mentioned that here only to see butt-hurt Chevy fanboys come to the defense, offering all kinds of unfounded speculations... I was speeding, inexperienced, or whatever they could come up with. That was just plain stupid, I've been driving trucks for years and have absolutely never experienced that. I know the laws of physics were against me that day, I would not have mentioned it if it was that bad. I had to suddenly jerk the steering wheel about a quarter to avoid hitting the guy, and people here wonder why I am a little pissed about that. So dumb, seriously.

Back to the name calling...please leave, please, please, please!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Already calling people names, nice!

What a nice guy...

...and expects no repercussions, just wants love LOL

Please go back...PLEASE

Well, you haven't done a very good job at explaining ANYTHING...

This speaks volumes...

But still bitching about a one time (even that's in question) event.

Thank GOD

Getting sick...

I'm gonna puke...

But still bitching about it...

Who is it that can't take criticism???

Block us all wow such a threat, and again you bring up the Ford...MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!

I don't need to be a passenger...How many times can you mention Ford in one post? Evidentially quite a bit LOL, all this while you wait to see if it happens again...just make up your mind already! 

Back to the name calling...please leave, please, please, please!!!

Probably has you on ignore already......

• Like 2