Unsettling Experience

3 hours ago, Wiggums said:

No kidding, Sherlock. It doesn't "add up" - that's why I was surprised at how much the rear end shifted off the ground, by almost a foot, which was enough for me to jerk the steering wheel to straighten it up. I mentioned that here only to see butt-hurt Chevy fanboys come to the defense, offering all kinds of unfounded speculations... I was speeding, inexperienced, or whatever they could come up with. That was just plain stupid, I've been driving trucks for years and have absolutely never experienced that. I know the laws of physics were against me that day, I would not have mentioned it if it was that bad. I had to suddenly jerk the steering wheel about a quarter to avoid hitting the guy, and people here wonder why I am a little pissed about that. So dumb, seriously.

We agree your story doesn't add up. But you're still blaming the truck, I'm blaming you/your story. Get the difference?

And I ain't no chevy fanboy though I happen to really, really like these 2019's. I currently drive a Jeep GC.

• Like 1

It's your prerogative to dismiss anything that insults your brand. You're clearly biased. Others offered solutions, you're accusing me of either lying or making it up.

I just said it as it is. The other truck I've driven was Ford which has never done that. I am not new to trucks but I can tell you this: I'm disappointed with the Silverado.

Suck it in, boy, you're a Chevy fanboy.

Just a suggestion here that I didn't notice anybody bring up, when I took delivery on my truck it has 45 PSI in the tires, the issue you are complaining about could very well be caused by over inflated tires as well. It's worth a shot to look at I guess.

Just my .02

I looked into that the same day.. all show 36 to 37. That was one of the things I looked at first. On the Ford forum, one had gotten his tires up to 45 and mentioned he nearly went off the road.

I really cannot find anything wrong except that the back is empty. I initially looked into getting all four up to 40 psi, but that doesn't look likely. What psi do you keep yours at? I'm always looking for ways to get my gas mileage up without compromising the safety. Getting 28 mpg on my current V8 Silverado while all are 36 is pretty good, I was able to increase gas mileage on my 2016 F-150 by getting all four tires up to 41 psi.

I'm just getting used to it. Overall, it's nice and I haven't experienced the back end sliding again. The perfect storm might have caused it and I probably won't see that again. I did a little off-roading, it's actually more stable and ride was nicer than my previous F-150, but it could be due to the Z71 package.

Edited by Wiggums

You seem very intent on blaming your truck.  You are intent on insisting your own driving could not possibly be the problem, which seems to be your own bias showing.  That's not humble.

The details of your argument really don't support your claims though.  If you are such a great driver, why was the pedestrian in your story ever in any danger of you hitting him?  Driving an appropriate speed for conditions is not about whether you've ever had a problem before, it's about assuming there is a problem, what's the worst that could happen?

Sounds like in your case you lost control pretty severely, and someone was very lucky they were not severely hurt or killed by your actions.  So you got lucky.  It's not skill that saved you, because skill would have had you driving slower in the first place.

When you drive slower and lose control, there's a lot less luck involved in everyone surviving.  Because it's easier to get control back, and because there's less inertia involved to cause more damage when you can't get control back.

So I sincerely hope your luck continues.  For all the pedestrians out there who have to jump out of the way when you're on the road.  As long as you have the attitude that you can't do anything wrong behind the wheel and refuse to learn a lesson though, it ain't gonna be your skill saving anyone, including yourself the next time when you do hit someone.

• Like 1

I had eight years of owning pick-ups and only owned this one for a week and experienced that. Pretty sure I mentioned that as well.

Pedestrian was on the sidewalk which I nearly hit, causing him to jump in his yard. There was a fence there. Do I really have to spell things out?

I was going 35 on a 50 mph street that was caked in dried dirt. Did I mention it was straight? Yes. Did I mention I wasn't hitting any one of the pedals? Yes. I know how I drive.

With the way I drove, it should be going straight but, no, you want to add in to the wild speculations. I am not going to deal with your drivel as well. Good riddance.

Edited by Wiggums

13 minutes ago, Daverado said:

You seem very intent on blaming your truck.  You are intent on insisting your own driving could not possibly be the problem, which seems to be your own bias showing.  That's not humble.

The details of your argument really don't support your claims though.  If you are such a great driver, why was the pedestrian in your story ever in any danger of you hitting him?  Driving an appropriate speed for conditions is not about whether you've ever had a problem before, it's about assuming there is a problem, what's the worst that could happen?

Sounds like in your case you lost control pretty severely, and someone was very lucky they were not severely hurt or killed by your actions.  So you got lucky.  It's not skill that saved you, because skill would have had you driving slower in the first place.

When you drive slower and lose control, there's a lot less luck involved in everyone surviving.  Because it's easier to get control back, and because there's less inertia involved to cause more damage when you can't get control back.

So I sincerely hope your luck continues.  For all the pedestrians out there who have to jump out of the way when you're on the road.  As long as you have the attitude that you can't do anything wrong behind the wheel and refuse to learn a lesson though, it ain't gonna be your skill saving anyone, including yourself the next time when you do hit someone.

I guess he blocked you too lol...This guy is a killing me, doubling down on the fact that he almost ran over a guy on account of his reckless driving. Too proud to admit what really happened I guess. That's like driving drunk, hitting someone, and then blaming the truck saying, "I never hit anyone while driving drunk in my Ford! Chevy Sux!"

• Like 1

If anybody wants to keep speculating, I have no problem adding to my ignore list.

It's nice having a view free of biased drivel from Chevy fanboys. I wanted suggestions and ideas, not speculation.

I am going to try decreasing my tires to 32 or 33. Still debating with myself over a tonneau cover since I'm told that would decrease the gas mileage. I know for a fact having a shell greatly impacted gas mileage but it sure did add stability. New shocks are still a possibility but I thought I paid more for better Z71 shocks. Just like my Ford radio, it sucked even though it was "upgraded" but the Chevy has pretty good Bose, I'm not an audiophile and I'm actually happy with the stereo system.

5 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I had eight years of owning pick-ups and only owned this one for a week and experienced that. Pretty sure I mentioned that as well.

Pedestrian was on the sidewalk which I nearly hit, causing him to jump in his yard. There was a fence there. Do I really have to spell things out?

I was going 35 on a 50 mph street that was caked in dried dirt. Did I mention it was straight? Yes. Did I mention I wasn't hitting any one of the pedals? Yes. I know how I drive.

With the way I drove, it should be going straight but, no, you want to add in to the wild speculations. I am not going to deal with your drivel as well. Good riddance.

Sure, maybe it was the truck.  That's possible, albeit improbable given your inability to reproduce it.

Until you're willing to admit maybe you made a mistake though, no one is going to take you seriously.  Only when they take you seriously will people generally start to consider other possibilities, even just playing devil's advocate for fun.  That's just human nature.

As long as you keep insisting you couldn't possibly have made any mistake at all, you are showing that to be a serious flaw in your character.  It's a contradiction.

I think what most people are missing here is if he thought he was responsible he would probably say don’t do this because this will happen. If he was gassing to hard wouldn’t traction control intervene? That’s what it’s designed for. The sand probably caused a washboard causing the backend to bounce. Because the road is crowned the hoping is going to follow the crown. Any one who’s driven on dirt roads in a pickup has experienced that. One of thing Grumpy talk about prior to changing his truck suspension. Too much tire air pressure could contribute too. I’m sure even the most radical bow tie enthusiast has bad mouth their ride a time or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a very rarely traveled road so there are a lot of holes and cracks from the desert sun. I was actually driving right in the middle because there are almost never cars coming towards me from the other side. Lake Elsinore, CA.

I know I had my foot off the gas because I was reacting to the caked dry dirt on the middle of the road. I didn't steer from it because it wasn't tall, I'd say an inch tall and about eight feet long. The city never does anything in those parts of the city. I wasn't braking because there was no reason to. It was unusual seeing the guy walking on the sidewalk though, usually there's nobody around.

The others can speculate as much as they want, they weren't there and they will throw in whatever they can think of just to deflect people with legitimate safety-related questions. If they can't handle that, there's always the convenient ignore feature. Nobody needs that crap. It's almost comical seeing them try so hard to justify it's the owner's fault, couldn't be the brand. I am kind of surprised they couldn't stand having a safety-related question though but you'd have to expect that on certain forums. Clearly, this one is less civilized than the others.