Help with Stuck Antenna

I tried to remove the antenna on my 2014 Sierra the other day and it is stuck. I couldn't remove it by hand so I grabbed the appropriate size wrench and it still wouldn't turn. It felt like I was going to break something before it turned loose and even started to round off the antenna's sides (tried both the open and box end of the wrench).  Does anyone have a suggestion?  I figure that I'll have to replace the antenna but I don't want to break the mount...

Mine was really tight from the factory and just recently the little wire that spirals up the antenna came undone so I just unwrapped it and cut it off.

I think there was some threadlocker on the antenna base. Try giving it a few good hits with a small hammer to crack it loose and then wrench it off. You will definitely end up taking paint off the hex head at the base.

Stack two box end wrenches, offset the handles, so that you can get both hands on from opposite sides and use gentle force. 

I used a drop of penetrating oil in a CA glue dispenser (the tiny flexible nozzle), literally a drop. When it came apart, you could see that it had wicked up into the threads a bit, not all the way up, but a bit.

I was worried that the oil would somehow screw up the connection and alter the function of the antenna. But, I don’t see a difference. I think the shark fin does the majority of the work for me and way.

I'm glad that now at my car wash, we remove the antenna every time, so it never has an opportunity to seize. Don’t hate me for the car wash, I know it’s not the best for the paint. But, I live on a long gravel ranch road and get so dirty, daily. I have to do something.

i had considered laying the antenna down in the engine compartment, but never really saw a good DIY video. So I abandoned that idea.

For you guys removing your antenna regularly I highly recommend the 3D printed “tool” Jim makes. I use to have a GM one back in the day that got lost and ended up ordering 2 of these. Works way better than trying to do the 10mm and rag trick. Price is right also IMO.

link to thread with 3D tool

I tried to remove the antenna on my 2014 Sierra the other day and it is stuck. I couldn't remove it by hand so I grabbed the appropriate size wrench and it still wouldn't turn. It felt like I was going to break something before it turned loose and even started to round off the antenna's sides (tried both the open and box end of the wrench).  Does anyone have a suggestion?  I figure that I'll have to replace the antenna but I don't want to break the mount...

Like mentioned above, it does have some type of blue thread locker from the factory. And corrosion doesn’t help either.

If you’re not going to reuse the antenna, just use some vise grips and then discard the factory antenna. It’ll come off, you just have to hold your tongue right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MeanGreen1911 said:

Thanks for the advice.  I will hopefully get a chance to try removing it this weekend. 

That or try some heat to break it loose, a light (as in easy) torch or a heat gun would be enough...

Edited by NCPGMC