Thinking of Purchasing 2014-2015

So long story short, I used to own a 2005 GMC 1500, but sold it cause it was just too little truck for our 7500lb loaded 30ft travel trailer.  It could do it, but I was worried about blowing the tranny and wanted more brake control.  So I bought my dad's 2008 F-250 diesel.  That was better, but the mileage and increased maintenance costs are killing me.  It's my daily driver, and 11mpg freaking sucks.  Plus there's a much higher risk with that 6.4l diesel of a catostrophic failure that I cannot afford.  So I'm going to sell that and go back to a gasser.  It'll save me $1k a year in gas alone, plus less maintenance costs.  I only pull our camper 8-10 times a year, and only a couple hundred miles at a time, so it's hard to justify a big diesel.

I'm looking at 2014-2015 GMC or Chevy's.  What catches my eye is the payload of 1900lb and tow ratings of 11k lbs are nearly what my big F-250 has.  Seems pathetic for being a diesel, but I guess that's what you get when the damn truck weighs 2,500lbs more than a half ton.  I think a newer half ton would pull way better and have better braking authority than my 05 did.  Plus I would get much better daily mpg and not worry about grenading my engine.  I can get a 2014 with similar mileage and way better options than my diesel for the same dang price.  What are your thoughts on my plan?  

What should I look out for in a 4th gen truck?  Should I try to avoid the first years, 2014 models?  Are there any specific trims I should look for to get maximum towing benefits?  What real world mileage are you guys getting?  I need a crew cab, prefer short bed, and 4x4.  The 5.3l engine is what I'm shooting for.  I don't want the 3/4 ton gassers cause their mileage sucks just as bad as diesels.  I was looking at 2014+ cause I love the refreshed design and gorgeous interiors that they have.  Thoughts?

So long story short, I used to own a 2005 GMC 1500, but sold it cause it was just too little truck for our 7500lb loaded 30ft travel trailer.  It could do it, but I was worried about blowing the tranny and wanted more brake control.  So I bought my dad's 2008 F-250 diesel.  That was better, but the mileage and increased maintenance costs are killing me.  It's my daily driver, and 11mpg freaking sucks.  Plus there's a much higher risk with that 6.4l diesel of a catostrophic failure that I cannot afford.  So I'm going to sell that and go back to a gasser.  It'll save me $1k a year in gas alone, plus less maintenance costs.  I only pull our camper 8-10 times a year, and only a couple hundred miles at a time, so it's hard to justify a big diesel.

I'm looking at 2014-2015 GMC or Chevy's.  What catches my eye is the payload of 1900lb and tow ratings of 11k lbs are nearly what my big F-250 has.  Seems pathetic for being a diesel, but I guess that's what you get when the damn truck weighs 2,500lbs more than a half ton.  I think a newer half ton would pull way better and have better braking authority than my 05 did.  Plus I would get much better daily mpg and not worry about grenading my engine.  I can get a 2014 with similar mileage and way better options than my diesel for the same dang price.  What are your thoughts on my plan?  

What should I look out for in a 4th gen truck?  Should I try to avoid the first years, 2014 models?  Are there any specific trims I should look for to get maximum towing benefits?  What real world mileage are you guys getting?  I need a crew cab, prefer short bed, and 4x4.  The 5.3l engine is what I'm shooting for.  I don't want the 3/4 ton gassers cause their mileage sucks just as bad as diesels.  I was looking at 2014+ cause I love the refreshed design and gorgeous interiors that they have.  Thoughts?

Mileage on my 16 DMax was 26 Hwy and pulled a 11K# trailer with ease. IMHO and personal experience with my 14,5.3 z71 cc, These 1500’s suck at anything over 5k#’s

Sent from above

Mileage on my 16 DMax was 26 Hwy and pulled a 11K# trailer with ease. IMHO and personal experience with my 14,5.3 z71 cc, These 1500’s suck at anything over 5k#’s

Sent from above

I would love a duramax any day of the week, but just can't afford it.  The ones I can afford are like my 08 that get horrible gas mileage and have the emissions working against them.  That's why I'm looking at half tons.  My budget is $25k max.  

If my old 05 half ton GMC could handle 7500lb trailer, then surely a 2014 one could handle it better?  Nearly 100HP and 50ft-lbs more torque.  And higher payload and tow ratings.

I bought my 015 new off the lot it was built Dec/014 so it’s a “early” 015 and I have had great luck with it only factory problems I have had are cosmetic. Both rockers have been repainted right one twice due to paint peeling off the undercoating on the rockers all warranty work. I bought mine when I saw the 016s hitting the lots and decided I wasn’t to keen on the looks of the new front end.

read though this thread I listed IMO the big things to look for on a 014+ truck

The only other things in here I would now add to this list is negative battery cables seem to be problematic for some owners anything from no crank no start, idiot lights, and die while driving again this is a small percentage of trucks and a negative cable replacement is cheap and EZ.

Some early 014s had starter problems there’s a GM TSB somewhere about this I believe it was something like they added a shield to the later starters to prevent water penetration. Also check before buying one that it’s current on all recalls there are several that are rather important IMO my truck has had one for the driver seatbelt, electronic steering, and something else I don’t remember now. If the truck came out of the rust belt look for structural rust on the frame some owners frames look like they sat on the ocean floor for years even on 5 year old trucks. Also look for rust starting in the rockers/cab corners as several guys have posted pics of such rust on these trucks already.

Also beware that if the vacuum pump goes bad on these motors there is a small chance that oil can get into the brake system and multiple parts need replaced. Not cheap. Also if you loose vacuum your brake petal gets rock hard at low speeds making stopping a whole lot harder. 

Here is a thread about it. There’s more than several threads on here about this.

Again small amount of trucks.

57 minutes ago, onecrazyfoo4u said:

Are there any specific trims I should look for to get maximum towing benefits?  

The max tow package for these trucks is RPO code NHT RPO codes are in the “glove box” on all 014-017 trucks 018+ no more sticker. Google NHT Silverado and you can read what all that package entails. Was an option with both motors. With the 5.3 you got the 373 gears and “bigger” rear end. Mines has the 5.3L 6speed & 343 gears non NHT I have a 3/4 ton for hauling but I tow with this on occasion it does alright but if I was towing more or longer distances with this truck I would have sprung for this package as IMO it’s a decent compromise between a non NHT and stepping up to a 3/4 ton. Again my non NHT does alright for what it is but mines also tuned. I hauled my buddies 79 T/A with my 20’ tiltbed (around 7k) home a couple hours drive and still averaged 10+mpg on the two lanes going 65+mph. Pulls my 14’ utility trailer with my Polaris sidexside (around 3k) like nothing I have literally forgot it was back there going down the highway more than once. I did do the Timbrens on the rear to help with sag when pulling the car hauler as IMO the rear springs are kinda soft from the factory. Those payload number are what they are I wouldn’t be to gun ho about them and seems every combo of cab & gear configuration lists something different and if you read on here some there’s plenty of guys pulling campers saying “gee wiz I wish I would have bought 3/4 ton or a NHT or 6.2L instead of a 5.3 or whatever.” Just something to consider. 

Thread about NHT package there’s several more on here as well

Also after you buy a truck email your vin to socialmedia@gm and ask for a copy of you RPOs and a copy of the service records. This is a free service and will give you the records of any major services/recalls done at any GM dealer to your truck.

Anyway this gives you somewhere to start. Yeah it’s a lot of info, yeah some of it sounds bad, but every manufacturer has issues and I would say 90% of guys on this forum still like their trucks and have had minimal issues. 

• Like 2

You will need to find one that has the Max Trailering package. NHT code in the glovebox. Only way to get the payload numbers you are looking at. Without that package, you'll be down in the 1400-1500 lb payload range.

Any 3/4 ton with a diesel will be pretty limited on payload, but will clearly tow better than a half ton. I went from an 01 3/4 with a Duramax to a 2015 1500 with NHT. Does not tow as nice but is less headache the other 90-95% of the time. As a daily driver, I prefer gas, but my commute is really short and the diesel just never warmed up.

I seem to recall the 2014 having a lower axle rating. Nothing changed to 2015 physically, but the rating was increased. Really only an issue if you get stopped for some reason.

• Like 1

Change the fuel filters in that 08 F250 every time you change the oil and it will never give you a bit of trouble. 6.4 was a great motor. It just needs a little more loving then the others. I wish I would have kept mine it was a great truck. 

Moving to a 5.3 gasser is gonna be a big shock when you go to tow for the first time. With that said though it will tow the trailer you got just fine. 

• Haha 1

You guys rock!  Thank you for all of the awesome background info and links.  I've got some research to do to figure out exactly what I want.  NHT does sound like a mandatory option for a good tower.  I'll start digging into those links on the forum.

• Like 1

I have 3 trucks in my rotation, a 2014 5.3L 6spd, 2015 6.2L 8spd, and a 2018 2500 CCLB 6.0L. 

I get about 11mpg with my 2500. My 6.2L gets about 15mpg and I drive it with a heavy foot. The 5.3L gets 17mpg.

With that said, the 2500 handles my 20' deck trailer the best in terms of feeling solid, having adequate cooling and brakes. The 6.2L will out tow it and get better mileage up to 5,000#, after that the 6.0L is the truck to use. I only run my 6.2L in the summer, it is my personal "weekend" ride. I would choose this truck 10x over the 2500 if I could only have one truck to drive. The 2500 is a school bus and gets pretty bad mileage but is a much more capable truck. Certainly in warmer climates and a CCSB or DCSB 2500 truck you could see 15mpg under daily conditions as I have lots of idle time and bush road travel and cold winters.

Last winter I used the 2014 to haul a customers excavator bucket/steel wrist combo (3500# load + 3000 trailer) to the city in the prairies 250 miles away. The 5.3L never broke out of 5th gear in the prairies and I put away nearly a full tank of gas, it towed it fine, felt solid and stable but it was definitely under powered. I wouldn't have towed that load in the mountains with that truck. 

To be honest OP, I would not choose a 5.3L unless it was a 2015 5.3L with the NHT package giving you an aux trans cooler, 3.42 gears and the 8spd transmission. The 8L90e 5.3L will feel a lot stronger than a 6L80e like mine. If you cant find one, I would be looking for a 6.2L with the 3.23 if you cant find one with NHT. It will cost you a grand or 2 to swap gearsets down the road so it is imperative you choose the right powertrain set up now. With out a doubt my 6.2L is a better tow rig than my 6spd 5.3L. I am not sure if you can get the 8L90e in a 2015 5.3L without having LTZ/SLT or NHT? Look for an NHT, if you cant find one look for an 8spd at the very least.  

1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

I have 3 trucks in my rotation, a 2014 5.3L 6spd, 2015 6.2L 8spd, and a 2018 2500 CCLB 6.0L. 

I get about 11mpg with my 2500. My 6.2L gets about 15mpg and I drive it with a heavy foot. The 5.3L gets 17mpg.

With that said, the 2500 handles my 20' deck trailer the best in terms of feeling solid, having adequate cooling and brakes. The 6.2L will out tow it and get better mileage up to 5,000#, after that the 6.0L is the truck to use. I only run my 6.2L in the summer, it is my personal "weekend" ride. I would choose this truck 10x over the 2500 if I could only have one truck to drive. The 2500 is a school bus and gets pretty bad mileage but is a much more capable truck. Certainly in warmer climates and a CCSB or DCSB 2500 truck you could see 15mpg under daily conditions as I have lots of idle time and bush road travel and cold winters.

Last winter I used the 2014 to haul a customers excavator bucket/steel wrist combo (3500# load + 3000 trailer) to the city in the prairies 250 miles away. The 5.3L never broke out of 5th gear in the prairies and I put away nearly a full tank of gas, it towed it fine, felt solid and stable but it was definitely under powered. I wouldn't have towed that load in the mountains with that truck. 

To be honest OP, I would not choose a 5.3L unless it was a 2015 5.3L with the NHT package giving you an aux trans cooler, 3.42 gears and the 8spd transmission. The 8L90e 5.3L will feel a lot stronger than a 6L80e like mine. If you cant find one, I would be looking for a 6.2L with the 3.23 if you cant find one with NHT. It will cost you a grand or 2 to swap gearsets down the road so it is imperative you choose the right powertrain set up now. With out a doubt my 6.2L is a better tow rig than my 6spd 5.3L. I am not sure if you can get the 8L90e in a 2015 5.3L without having LTZ/SLT or NHT? Look for an NHT, if you cant find one look for an 8spd at the very least.  

Thank you for the great input!  I may be thinking of transitioning away from the 5.3l then.  I know it was a dog in my 2005 half ton, but had hopes that it improved over the years.  Doesn't sound like much, unless I get the NHT package like you stated.  I haven't seen any for sale with this package yet.  

As much as I highly prefer GM products over Ford, I may have to look into the F-150 ecoboosts.  You hear a lot of rave reviews about them...the 100 extra torque and much higher payloads over the GM trucks are very nice.  I just hate the interiors on them compared to the awesome interiors GM puts out.  But I may have to stoop down to them just to get the better towing rig.  I know a 3/4 ton would be ideal, but I just can't justify it with only 5-10% of my miles going to towing each year.  

I tow an open steel car trailer with my race car on it, and about 750lbs of gear, spares, food, etc. in the bed.  This is around 6000-6500 total.  The truck doesnt even know the trailer is back there.  IT tows WAY better than my 2000 3/4 ton would with the same load.  I do have the NHT as well.  You should have no problem if you can find an NHT.

Edited by Kubs

I have a 2015 crew cab 1500 4wd LT Z71 with 5.3, 6L80E,  3.42 gears and tlr package. The 9200 lb tow  rating was probably based on driving on a flat highway. I towed a 6000 lb car tlr across the Sierras with it.  It was OK, but I really had to gear down on the mountain passes. I never overheated.  If I was going to tow your 7500 lb trailer, I would definitely go for the 6.2 ff you drive over mountain passes.  The 5.3 with the standard 3.08 axle would be terrible towing in the mountains.  Chevrolets tow ratings are exaggerated.  I hope this helps.

Dave

• Like 1