Brake Pad Life

Odds are I will trade this truck in long before the brakes wear out. My 16 was about 70% left on the fronts According to dealer at my last inspection before trading it in and that was at 36k miles

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My sensor has to be off.  Less than 1500 miles, and it says 81% front and 89% rear.

I just traded in a 2017 1500 with the original brake pads still on it and life left in them, and my previous truck was a 2014 Ram with pads replaced at 92k miles.  I do mostly freeway driving.

My thought was that there is no sensor, it's just miles based, and calibrated to people doing more stop and go driving.

Just did the first set of front pads on my 2013 2500, at 113,000miles on a bush truck. I think you're probably fine... I don't rely on my oil light to tell me my oil is low either. Just simply check them when you rotate your tires. Turn off the electric gizmo's, there are too many as it is without unnecessary crap like this system that does nothing but increase MSRP's and customer aggravation.  

I have a hard time believing there are sensors rather than just mileage based.  

They deleted the overhead glasses holder on this truck to save like a dollar, I doubt they are adding sensors few people really care about.  Or maybe they are just really cheap crappy sensors and that's why they're way off :dunno:

Way to figure out is a long highway drive without using the breaks, and see if the % drops.

Most of my driving is highway and at 3700 miles it says I have 70% left. My truck is in the shop right now for some issues I’m having and I asked the tech about it. He had no answer and said he’ll have to look into it. When I bought the truck it was at 99% and I don’t drive hard so it makes no sense why it would be so low already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, scdaren said:

I have a hard time believing there are sensors rather than just mileage based.  

They deleted the overhead glasses holder on this truck to save like a dollar, I doubt they are adding sensors few people really care about.  Or maybe they are just really cheap crappy sensors and that's why they're way off :dunno:

Way to figure out is a long highway drive without using the breaks, and see if the % drops.

I understand the sentiment, but it’s not really a matter of believing they are there or not...unless everything referencing the sensors in the owner’s manual, install manual for the performance brakes, and your own build sheet is a lie?

They have a specific RPO code (JBP). The RPO is shared with the only other GM car that is documented to use sensors in the pad, the CT6. On that car there are sensors in the front left pads and right rear pads. I have no reason to believe this system is any different, beyond just speculation due to the massive inaccuracies some are experiencing. 

GM probably doesn’t even know why this is happening yet, but mine are accurate so I personally have no reason to question my dealer or GM on it. If I had the numbers some of you have I would definitely be up their ass to get some sort of answers. It’s not a big deal but it’s a “feature” that I would expect to work somewhat accurately or why would they spend the money on it?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

I understand the sentiment, but it’s not really a matter of believing they are there or not...unless everything referencing the sensors in the owner’s manual, install manual for the performance brakes, and your own build sheet is a lie?

They have a specific RPO code (JBP). The RPO is shared with the only other GM car that is documented to use sensors in the pad, the CT6. On that car there are sensors in the front left pads and right rear pads. I have no reason to believe this system is any different, beyond just speculation due to the massive inaccuracies some are experiencing. 

GM probably doesn’t even know why this is happening yet, but mine are accurate so I personally have no reason to question my dealer or GM on it. If I had the numbers some of you have I would definitely be up their ass to get some sort of answers. It’s not a big deal but it’s a “feature” that I would expect to work somewhat accurately or why would they spend the money on it?

Ah, did not realize it was verified that they are in fact sensor-based, seems like there was some debate about it. So just crappy sensors then or perhaps half baked software. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it or waste any time with the dealer trying to figure out why it's doing what it's doing. Unless of course the sensor IS accurate, and my brakes are blown by 8000 Miles, in which case I will have a problem.

• Like 1

Just examine them like a normal human would and turn off that stupid function. I would think people do a proper inspection of their vehicle from time to time, rather than waiting for electronic systems to tell you to change wear parts? "Hey OnStar, are my lug nuts still fastened?" 

Edited by L86 All Terrain
  • Like 2

Indeed, every vehicle I've ever owned has been very effective at telling me when I need brakes, no sensors or warning messages required.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

brake-pad-wear-indicator.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this thread, but I am in the same boat. 2019 RST 1500, 1100km's (680miles) purchased April 2 2019. My front reads 86% and my rear reads 91%. Co-worker of mine, same vehicle 2019 1500 RST purchased 1 week prior to me, has 6000kms (3700miles) and fronts read 91% and 95% rear... I think there is definitely a software issue or a sensor issue (shocker it's a chevy). I drive very conservative, and will often coast before braking. Thinkin' I'll take it in at some point and see whatsup. Anyone else have any answers since the last comment on this thread dated may 9?

20190604_160020.jpg

I drove for over an hour on the highway today with cruise set and never touched the brakes. I was watching the brake monitor occasionally and it went down a percent while I was driving even though I had not touched the brakes in almost an hour or so. Hmm?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Here's mine... 40/64 after just 45 days of ownership and 5532 mostly highway miles.  Really blowing through brakes on this thing...

Anyone go in to a dealer and get any feedback yet about this?  I'm about to go in for my first oil change and will ask about it.

IMG_0031.jpg