Brake Pad Life

Dropped off the truck this morning for this issue and an oil change.  The service advisor knew all about the issue, I didn't need to give him the TSB number.  He said the only fix he was aware of was to replace the sensor, and that those were way backordered.  

My truck has about 12,700 miles, and I'm at 14% front, 16% rear.  Have been stuck there for awhile.

Edited by scdaren

14 minutes ago, scdaren said:

Dropped off the truck this morning for this issue and an oil change.  The service advisor knew all about the issue, I didn't need to give him the TSB number.  He said the only fix he was aware of was to replace the sensor, and that those were way backordered.  

My truck has about 12,700 miles, and I'm at 14% front, 16% rear.  Have been stuck there for awhile.

Wow!  It's a bonafide fix that was applied to mine.  A few hundred miles later seems to be holding steady at 99%.  Dealer sounds sketchy on this issue.  Ugh!

25 minutes ago, scdaren said:

I wonder what sensor he is talking about.  Folks that I know at GM say this is simply a software algorithm that monitors your driving habits and estimates remaining pad life.

10 minutes ago, fatwhiteboy said:

I wonder what sensor he is talking about.  Folks that I know at GM say this is simply a software algorithm that monitors your driving habits and estimates remaining pad life.

I don't know... I've seen a number of posts on here where people say there is an actual sensor, and that's what the dealer is telling me.  A software thing makes a lot more sense, it seems dumb they would put money into a sensor system on these trucks, when they are nickel and diming away so many other little things, for something people really don't need.

6 hours ago, scdaren said:

So... interesting update on this.  Just got a call from the dealer after them having the truck all day.  He said there was an updated bulletin from GM, and the truck is not only getting a software update, but they are also replacing front and rear brake pads.  They didn't have the pads in stock so they are being ordered for me.

19 minutes ago, scdaren said:

So... interesting update on this.  Just got a call from the dealer after them having the truck all day.  He said there was an updated bulletin from GM, and the truck is not only getting a software update, but they are also replacing front and rear brake pads.  They didn't have the pads in stock so they are being ordered for me.

Haven't heard of this yet. I wonder if they really are or if they are just saying that... how many miles?

10 minutes ago, ddevos said:

Haven't heard of this yet. I wonder if they really are or if they are just saying that... how many miles?

They said the bulletin just came out Friday to replace pads if truck has over 6000 miles. Mine has 13,800.  And they are actually ordering parts, I'll need to go back when they come in. 

Edited by scdaren

6 minutes ago, scdaren said:

They said the bulletin just came out Friday to replace pads if truck has over 6000 miles. Mine has 13,800.  And they are actually ordering parts, I'll need to go back when they come in. 

Good to know, I will let my buddy know as he had his truck with 7000 miles updated and they werent supposed to reset the monitor but they did anyway. So i guess he will be getting new brakes. Mine only has about 1500 miles so no new brakes for me.

I just got back from the dealer for the first oil change at 5,500 miles, oil change and break life at 17% front and 20% rear. They said the pads are good and reset it. I checked the Driver Information Center and they just turned off the Break Pad Life System. It's not fixed so I'm calling GM in the morning to get the bulletin number your referring to. If they give me one I'll drop back in and provide it. 

The calipers have a set of wires coming off of them and a plastic cover. I imagine there are sensors in there and something isn't working correctly. 

Another issue is the LCD temperature control doesn't always follow the manual knob controls. It always works but if i go from radio to LCD climate control it shows a black screen. It's blowing cold air but nothing displayed. They said GM knows and working on a patch. I'll find out if that true too tomorrow.  

3 hours ago, scdaren said:

Yes. If truck has less than 6,000 miles they’re resetting the system after the software patch is applied. Based on your information, it seems that they’re going to replace pads on trucks with more than 6,000 miles. 

8 minutes ago, lebag335 said:

Yes. If truck has less than 6,000 miles they’re resetting the system after the software patch is applied. Based on your information, it seems that they’re going to replace pads on trucks with more than 6,000 miles. 

Right. My guess is they need new pads so they system can be recalibrated to 100% and be accurate. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Drifts1 said:

anyone have the new updated bulletin that shows them replacing new breaks after 6000 miles?

I have not seen that one yet but mine is going in next Wednesday for PIT5695A.  The dealer stated they will need the truck for a few days.  I asked them what for, they said any electrical issue is a few days.  After some explanation from me of what they need to do, they said that the "manager" said that I can wait for it.  I really hate BS!!!

2 hours ago, fatwhiteboy said:

I have not seen that one yet but mine is going in next Wednesday for PIT5695A.  The dealer stated they will need the truck for a few days.  I asked them what for, they said any electrical issue is a few days.  After some explanation from me of what they need to do, they said that the "manager" said that I can wait for it.  I really hate BS!!!

Yes.  30 minute software update tops.  They was fibbing to ya!

• Like 1