Brake Pad Life

1 minute ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Good because at this rate I will be at 0% around 8K miles emoji23.png

Ryan B.

Seriously! The strange part is it says it effects all 2019 Silverados and Sierras, but the loaner truck I had had 5x the milage of mine, and had 96% front and 98% rear.

My front pad meter got to 14% at like 8k miles, and has stopped there.  The rear pad meter still keeps dropping, it's like 28% now.  I have 10,000 miles on the truck.

Thanks for posting this.  Now I can show the dealer so they can notate the issue, and not have them poking around screwing up anything that doesn't need to be messed with.

Edited by scdaren
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dealer said they updated the software today for the brake wear indicator issue but they didn’t reset the percentage meter, I guess I’ll do that tomorrow and keep an eye on it. 

#PIT5695A - Brake Pad Life % Calculates Down too Quickly

Subject:
Brake Pad Life % Calculates Down too Quickly

Brand:

Model:

Model Year:

VIN:

Engine:

Transmission:

from

to

from

to

Chevrolet

Silverado 1500 (New Model)

SOP

Ft Wayne-1GCRYDED0KZ413442, Silao-3GTP9EED9KG293960

All

All

GMC

Sierra 1500 (New Model)

SOP

Ft Wayne-1GCRYDED0KZ413442, Silao-3GTP9EED9KG293960

All

All

Involved Region or Country

North America

Condition

Some customers may notice a quick drop in the brake pad life % shown on the DIC, which may not be reflective to the actual pad wear.

Cause

This concern could be cause by a software anomaly.

Correction

Engineering has released new Brake System Control Module (BSCM) software to correct this concern. 

Engineering has released new Brake System Control Module (BSCM) software to correct this concern. 

• If the vehicle has less than 6000 miles, then reset the brake pad life monitoring system to 100% in the DIC.

• If the vehicle has more than 6000 miles, do not reset the brake pad life monitoring system.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under the Bumper-to-Bumper coverage (Canada Base Warranty coverage), use the following labor operation. Reference the Applicable Warranties section of Investigate Vehicle History (IVH) for coverage information.

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

Reprogram Brake System Control Module To Correct Brake Pad Life Calculation

0.3 hr.

2 hours ago, Drifts1 said:

So do we have to go to the dealer to get the software update?

Yes, it can’t be done over the air. Every update that’s not infotainment related has to be done by the dealer.

I dropped my AT4 off at the dealer this morning for an intermittent code being thrown P3506.  They spent all day on it and can't figure out why it comes and goes.  They still have it and didn't look at the brakes yet.

Also had the passenger side mirror chattering when I switch it to reverse instead of turning down and stopping.  Apparently they think they need to replace the entire mirror for this behavior and GM is dodgy approving these...I'm sure it'll get fixed but the damn thing has 400 miles on it.  If it has to get replaced, GM is replacing it.

Anyway, no progress on the brake life issue for me yet.  Maybe tomorrow.