Brake Pad Life

So the only way to keep this system active is to buy OEM pads with the sensor?

Might be a nice feature to some but the metal wear tab was simple and worked.

:)

• Like 1

97% front, 99% rear, after 3100 on the clock for me. The downshifting of the truck when coming to a stop, or after tapping the brakes when going down a hill, I would think save some wear.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

As has been discussed most likely the dealer did not reset when the truck was new as they are supposed to.

And as others replied to you, their trucks were reading 100% when they picked it up from the dealer. 

2 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

And as others replied to you, their trucks were reading 100% when they picked it up from the dealer. 

Ok :thumbs:

Sensors are in the pads, it’s not like the oil life or air filter monitor where it’s just computer calculated. There is an option to “reset” the system but it’s supposed to auto-detect the new pads and prompt the reset itself.

Seems like there’s two camps, people that have an accurate pad monitor and people that don’t. I’m thinking in these cases there something is out of calibration in the programming. Because usually both axles are dropping much faster than they should, thus theoretically ruling out a bad set of pads/ sensors unless they are bad on BOTH front and back. 

Seeing as how common this is becoming I would hope GM is aware.

I know the system can be disabled but it would be really annoying if the truck is repeatedly prompting for new brake pads at 10,000 miles and the only solution is turning it off.

Mine goes down 1% in the front for every 100 miles exactly. I just watched it on the odometer. 506 miles went to 95%, 606 miles went to 94%, 706 miles went to 93%. I drive mostly highway. At this rate my brakes will be "gone" at 10,006 miles. Hmm? Doesn't sound like a sensor to me

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I only know that there is actually a sensor. What the truck does with that info is another thing completely.

Brake pad wear sensors are referenced both in the owner’s manual and a few times in the install manual for the performance brakes.

https://ecom-dam.ext.gm.com/parts/documents/ISheets_23505029.pdf

“The brake pad life system must be turned off. This is necessary because the Performance Brake Package is equipped with brake pads without electronic wear sensors. When the system is turned off, the front and rear brake pad life percentages will not display. However, the built-in wear indicators that make a high-pitched warning sound when the brake pads are worn can still determine when the pads should be replaced.”

Here’s a theory that may make sense. Since it appears that there is only a sensor in one pad up front, let’s take the cost cutting further and ask what if there is NO sensor for the rear pads, and it’s just calculated by how much the front is worn? Perhaps they figure the front wears out 2x faster or whatever the equation would be...

This would explain the entire reason to even have a manual reset. If you just change front pads then, the truck will continue to calculate the rear pad wear at the predetermined ratio. Same if you only change the rear pads. If it was 100% sensor driven as the owner’s manual would lead you to believe, there should be no need to even have a reset option.

If my BS speculation is true, you have only ONE sensor that is throwing the whole system off which seems more likely. If the front pads “appear” to be wearing faster than they are, due to an errant reading, then the rear percentage would also drop faster to match based on the system’s calculation.

Just a thought.