Brake Pad Life

So I currently have about 1300 miles on my AT4 3 weeks into ownership and somehow, based on the brake pad sensors in the truck, I have gone through 20% of the pads life (I have not checked this by other methods yet) . I don't brake hard, haven't towed yet and haven't been in stop and go traffic at all. Is anyone else running into this? Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this or if they are hitting a point where the pads are not losing mass so quickly due grooving with the rotors.

2 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

The dealer is supposed to reset all of those monitors when you purchase the truck, just reset it and start from there.

It was at 100% with 10 miles on it when purchases. You think it should be reset and could just be an error?

Just now, RUGER AT4 said:

It was at 100% with 10 miles on it when purchases. You think it should be reset and could just be an error?

Ahhh..., I didn't realize that part, Hmmm...., Well, I do a lot of stop and go traffic driving, some hard stops at times (as per the My Chevrolet App) and I've got 5200 miles on it and mine shows 85% pad life left.

I would guess it's all software. I doubt they have a sensor to monitor brake pads. Do yourself a favor and just turn off that page in the DIC and check your brakes at 30k miles.

My loaner truck which I got at 6 miles had 300 miles on it and had already "used" 4% of the brake pads and I drive mostly highway

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It’s one of those things that was never checked maybe during break in the pads wear more. We lived for years without it, personally I will monitor mine but not freak out it’s kinda like the OLM nice to have but is it accurate.

Case in point on my Camaro in 976 miles on the current oil change my OLM was at 29% this spring when I did the oil change. Head scratcher as the oil looked real good still visually (car only has 1400 miles total). No idea why it dropped so much but I’m not worried about it

Ryan B.

Most likely set by GM for running to 0% at specified operation etc. with everything figured in....those who tow, those who drive cities, mountains etc.  So they basically want you checking the pads etc. at specified intervals instead of waiting for the "NOISE" etc.  

There IS a sensor on these, it’s not just calculated by driving style. They use resistance wires built into pads that the truck reads. I have heard others saying the system doesn’t seem to be all that accurate so take it with a grain of salt.

There is an option to turn the monitor off, beyond just hiding the page, which is necessary if you run aftermarket pads that don’t have the sensors in them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any chance you smell the brake burning when you park? Many years ago, I had one brake stuck.. but that was 30 years ago.

You got me going outside to check.. I have 1,900 miles and I'm showing 99%. Pretty much in line wit what I'd expect since I treat my brakes like kryptonite.. I only hit it when I have to. I'm a dedicated hypermiler, I drive carefully to maximize my gas mileage. Been able to get 24 lately, not bad for an RST with a V8, but that's all highway.

I’m at 7800 miles, with a good bit of stop n go driving an I have 79% in the front and 88% in the rear. I too have not checked this by any other method. 

Id say 20% in 1300 miles is a bit off. 

There IS a sensor on these, it’s not just calculated by driving style. They use resistance wires built into pads that the truck reads. I have heard others saying the system doesn’t seem to be all that accurate so take it with a grain of salt.

There is an option to turn the monitor off, beyond just hiding the page, which is necessary if you run aftermarket pads that don’t have the sensors in them. 
Wow. A sensor? I stand corrected. That is crazy. Maybe that is why the calipers are bigger on the T1s? I am sure everything will be twice as expensive to replace.

I would rather have adjustable brake pedals than engineering spent on a brake sensor that doesn't work

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2