Water pump or Vac pump whine ?

Well, my 2016 LTZ  Z71 6.2 Silverado with 28k miles is back at the dealer again, Last summer it started the well known trans shutter, The Gm service flush did correct that problem.

This weekend I switched on the AC, you guessed it, Hot air. No bad fuses and compressor not running, Dealer said the system was empty and they can't find a leak.

On to the third problem, I have an intermittent whine from the left side front of the engine, First time I heard it I blew it off as a belt whine. This weekend when checking the compressor fuses

it started again, only lasted a few minutes and stopped, I shut it off, left it sit for an hour, started it up and the whine was back and this time I had my phone to capture the noise but the dealer can

not replicate the noise.

The whine sure sounds like it was coming from the water pump but after reading about all the 2014-2016 vacuum pump failures I'm not so sure this isn't one more for the list.

Biggest problem, My GM warranty runs out in three weeks !!!

Chevy 6.2.mp4

Buy a new vacuum pump fer $150.

It shares oil with engine. It grenades after warranty expires and takes out your long block.

You can also plug the block oil lines for the vacuum pump and run a Corvette or Summit Electric vacuum pump to save your motor.

Common problem. Designed to fail.

GM Part # 11546665

Order 2. 1 plug per bag, u need 2.

Edited by Paintor

8 hours ago, Paintor said:

Buy a new vacuum pump fer $150.

It shares oil with engine. It grenades after warranty expires and takes out your long block.

You can also plug the block oil lines for the vacuum pump and run a Corvette or Summit Electric vacuum pump to save your motor.

Common problem. Designed to fail.

GM Part # 11546665

Order 2. 1 plug per bag, u need 2.

I’ve only seen where one other member has done the conversion to an electric pump.  In that thread, he came back and said that the electric pump failed in a pretty short amount of time too.  I’m not sure that’s a great option on a daily driver at this point.

As for the Corvette electric, it’s not solely electric.  I believe they use manifold pressure on the C7 and only use the electric pump to assist during times of low vacuum.  From what I read, it is controlled on and off by the BCM using feedback from the pressure switch.

I think I would be pushing the dealer to replace the vac pump before your warranty runs out.  You might try pushing the brake system to see if you can get any hard pedal symptoms with multiple brake strokes at idle.  If you can, that should be enough to get them to replace it.

Edited by ksiesel

My intention is to switch switch mine to the C7 vacuum pump setup as soon as the warranty is up (2.5 years).  I am sure there will be many more DIY setups by then as more and more folks go out of warranty.  

Mechanical setup is stupid.