Vehicle hacked and being tracked...

New to forum. How's ya?

I was looking for some input on how someone can be tracking my vehicle. I've disconnected the shark fin. Is there some internal antenna involved, an account linked to my truck. I suspect they somehow obtained the software info from my vehicle because I know it's been broken into(no physical damage from entry), things stolen. The text alerts option on the display stays "on" sometimes without me being able to turn it off which I read somewhere that is a sign it's hacked(they get phone text about my driving info).Can someone crash course me on this. I know for a fact that it's going on. What can I do to solve this issue? Thanks.

Edited by GMTruckFace

IDK really, maybe get a dash cam off Amazon and have it record your display changes and these text messages. Post that up on youtube. They are like $90.

Do you have a GPS?

https://thehackernews.com/2018/01/gps-location-tracking.html?m=1

On a less serious note, Do you have a cat? Or do you see cats near your vehicle often..

???

Screenshot_20190430-004513_Chrome.thumb.jpg.33eb1a54311294983fe01285830bbd93.jpg

Assuming you aren't a high-value target of a gov't (and you would likely know why you would be, if you are), I would first consider maybe your truck has an electrical/electronic problem, which results in things being reset to their default setting.

• Like 1

I think that is one of the few times I would take the vehicle to the dealer even if I was out of warranty.  I’d want them to reset everything and help you identify what’s going on if any issues return.  Not sure if this is possible, but maybe they can change your identifying information so you can get a fresh start.  Do vehicles have a MAC address?

• Like 1

I was a Federal Employee only an Act of Congress could fire and became a Environmental Protectionist ....a target of the .Gov/DoD for a bit.

Back it into a lake boat ramp claiming an accidental boat launch gone wrong.

Do not buy another vehicle with a computer in it.

2014 See eye Eh .DoD..went active taking over vehicles for targeted killings. Thats a fact jack.

You take that can to the Dealer and explain what you are seeing, they will fit you for a straight jacket.

BTW.....stealin aluminum wheels from Dealer vehicles went way down since Congress mandated those wheels transmitting serial numbers...ahem....I mean tire air pressure...after 2007.

There’s the first basic broadcasting.

I have your wheels transmitting their serial numbers I can track you around a city. 

If you are serious ditch your cellphone and every computer you have. You could just have a pretty wife someone wants...and they have unlimited power to get her.

Edited by Paintor

How is it possible to have a vehicle tracked without a connected sharkfin antenna, also info about the vehicle, speed, location, etc? Is there some internal antenna somewhere I'm not aware of? The remotelink app would need this antenna to communicate I'm assuming.

Edited by GMTruckFace

7 hours ago, Paintor said:

BTW.....stealin aluminum wheels from Dealer vehicles went way down since Congress mandated those wheels transmitting serial numbers...ahem....I mean tire air pressure...after 2007.

There’s the first basic broadcasting.

I have your wheels transmitting their serial numbers I can track you around a city. 

If you are serious ditch your cellphone and every computer you have. You could just have a pretty wife someone wants...and they have unlimited power to get her.

Glad I replaced all of my TPMS sensors with cheap Chinese eBay knockoffs last go round.  Now the only serial numbers that I’m flinging about are encrypted with mandarin hieroglyphics and go straight to the Chinese government so they can better target my Amazon ads.  

I’ve always wanted a sloth-themed seat back organizer with integrated ice cream freezer and toaster oven. Maybe now I can find a decent price on one!  The only ones I’ve found are >$300 and require 15.8-17.43 Vdc to operate and I just can’t swing either right now with this economy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bdbake01 said:

Glad I replaced all of my TPMS sensors with cheap Chinese eBay knockoffs last go round.  Now the only serial numbers that I’m flinging about are encrypted with mandarin hieroglyphics and go straight to the Chinese government so they can better target my Amazon ads.  

I’ve always wanted a sloth-themed seat back organizer with integrated ice cream freezer and toaster oven. Maybe now I can find a decent price on one!  The only ones I’ve found are >$300 and require 15.8-17.43 Vdc to operate and I just can’t swing either right now with this economy. 

If I don't read anything else today, I'll be happy.  There's more goodness in those two sentences than I've seen in a very long time.  Kudos, sir.

2 hours ago, GMTruckFace said:

How is it possible to have a vehicle tracked without a connected sharkfin antenna, also info about the vehicle, speed, location, etc? Is there some internal antenna somewhere I'm not aware of? The remotelink app would need this antenna to communicate I'm assuming.

If you want to spend some time reading, there are other threads talking about guys like you who want to remove onstar from the vehicles for various reasons. I think the onstar equipment is the only way for outsiders to gain access to your vehicle.

I don't know if you can really achieve what you want to do and still retain the rest of your electronic functions. But happy reading!

Edited by aseibel

Thanks for the info. I've had the ONSTAR disabled for some time now. I once read an article about "text alerts" being "on" or "off" under the text icon on the display, obviously, but having trouble finding this article again. I remember it mentioned that it is a way to tell if the system is hacked, forced "on". I'm just assuming someone could receive vehicle info from it through an app or some other program. Mine seems to be forced "on" at times without me being able to turn it "off".  Any other time I can switch it on or off at will, normal operation. Just not sure how it's possible with antenna disconnected.

Edited by GMTruckFace

If if it's not able to broadcast, then perhaps it's just an electronic gremlin and not a hacker or someone else tracking you? Have you tried to push the onstar button after removing the antenna to see if they can respond or find you? does your in dash GPS still show your location? If so then there may be another antenna somewhere else?

New to forum. How's ya?
I was looking for some input on how someone can be tracking my vehicle. I've disconnected the shark fin. Is there some internal antenna involved, an account linked to my truck. I suspect they somehow obtained the software info from my vehicle because I know it's been broken into(no physical damage from entry), things stolen. The text alerts option on the display stays "on" sometimes without me being able to turn it off which I read somewhere that is a sign it's hacked(they get phone text about my driving info).Can someone crash course me on this. I know for a fact that it's going on. What can I do to solve this issue? Thanks.

With your remote, unlock your truck and leave it unlocked. Pop the hood and Unplug your battery terminal for approx 15 minutes. Reinstall and your vehicle will reset. My wife’s Escalade did that very same thing and turned out to be a bad ground battery cable.

Sent from above

7 hours ago, bdbake01 said:

The only ones I’ve found are >$300 and require 15.8-17.43 Vdc

Have you tried a USB version?

I was having power supply issues amd fuse coordination was tricky, I"ve had good luck with my toaster moving to USB power.

Screenshot_20190430-160748_Chrome.thumb.jpg.810819f2eb79fabb46727f513030bb2f.jpg

• Haha 1