What Exactly Does Sport Mode Do?

54 minutes ago, jimmyboy8301 said:

I have a high country and have 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 2019 it depended on what cluster the truck has. Trucks with the uplevel cluster...High Country and Denali, (as well as AT4 and LTZ with tech packages) have 4 modes. Tour (Normal), Sport, Off Road and Tow/Haul. 2019 trucks with the midlevel cluster just have normal, sport and tow/haul. For 2020, it doesn’t matter what cluster; all trucks have the 4 modes. But 2WD trucks have snow mode instead of off road.

This obviously excludes basic models that don’t have any drive modes except tow/haul.

Edited by OnTheReel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

For 2019 it depended on what cluster the truck has. Trucks with the uplevel cluster...High Country and Denali, (as well as AT4 and LTZ with tech packages) have 4 modes. Tour (Normal), Sport, Off Road and Tow/Haul. 2019 trucks with the midlevel cluster just have normal, sport and tow/haul. For 2020, it doesn’t matter what cluster; all trucks have the 4 modes. But 2WD trucks have snow mode instead of off road.

This obviously excludes basic models that don’t have any drive modes except tow/haul.

The '19 RST 4WD (w/o optional tech package) has 4 modes. Tour (Normal drive mode), Sport (turn knob CW), Tow/Haul (turn knob CCW), Off Road (Push button in). Off Road mode button located in cluster instead a 4Lo button, simulates 4Lo in a single speed transfer case vbehicle, but without the same torque.

DSCN0752.JPG.611422563ad1cf0b970c6d2936ec5c71.JPG

7 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

The '19 RST 4WD (w/o optional tech package) has 4 modes. Tour (Normal drive mode), Sport (turn knob CW), Tow/Haul (turn knob CCW), Off Road (Push button in). Off Road mode button located in cluster instead a 4Lo button, simulates 4Lo in a single speed transfer case vbehicle, but without the same torque.

DSCN0752.JPG.611422563ad1cf0b970c6d2936ec5c71.JPG

Yeah, that’s Terrain mode, on 4WD trucks without Z71 or the 6.2. 

I was talking about the drive modes, not 4WD positions. On 2019 trucks with the uplevel clusters, and on all 2020s, there is an “off road“ drive mode that can be used in 2WD or 4WD. It is accessed through the same dial as the rest of the drive modes.

• 1 year later...

I just made my purchase yesterday...

... Silverado High County with the 6.2...

This thing is insane... On the way home from the dealership I was just easing along... I look down and sure enough I'm doing 100 mph.

It sure as hell didn't feel like I was moving anywhere near 100 mph. I'm definitely going to have to use cruise control a lot this thing is smooth and with that 10-speed transmission you don't feel a thing.

• Like 1

This thing is insane... On the way home from the dealership I was just easing along... I look down and sure enough I'm doing 100 mph.

It sure as hell didn't feel like I was moving anywhere near 100 mph. I'm definitely going to have to use cruise control a lot this thing is smooth and with that 10-speed transmission you don't feel a thing.

Welcome to the club and congrats on the new truck.

I used to drive by feel and sound with my 05 2500.

When I traded it in a my 2020, I had to start driving by speedo gauge again. LOL

0-80mph towing the boat in just a heart beat and have to slow down back to 70mph.

Zoom Zoom

On 4/4/2021 at 8:42 AM, CSTurner82 said:

constantly getting pulled over by Texas troopers, find myself doing 100 in 80 all the time if cc isn't in use or engaged

guess they like my truck, no tickets as of yet, thank god

I'll also add when in sport mode I notice my trans doesn't hunt around between 9 and 10 as often, steering feels more stiff and fuel comp is same or better on the open roads

Edited by snork

Got this from the owners manual. Apparently if you are not driving aggressively it returns to normal after a short period.

When you enter this mode you will
immediately feel a down shift. In this
mode, the vehicle also monitors
driving behaviors and automatically
enables Performance Shift Features
when spirited driving is detected.
These features maintain lower
transmission gears to increase
available engine braking and
improve acceleration response. The
vehicle will exit these features and
return to normal operation after a
short period when no spirited driving
is detected 

• Like 1

i noticed sport mode in my RST but not so much in my GMC elevation.....maybe just used to it idk but it seemed more aggressive in RST....i noticed the stiffer steering more in RST

i pretty much run in tow/haul mode around town

also tow/haul mode in my 2500 was much more agressive than in 1500s

Edited by Dunn

Is sport mode a button or switch to push . 

It's a knob to turn. Same knob for tow/haul mode. Turn left for tow/haul, turn right for sport, offroad, snow, or normal. Not all trucks have these options. Not all trucks with this option will have all these features.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I use Sport mode whenever I'm entering the freeway. Be careful when switching it on though. I was making my way onto an onramp one day & it was raining. Went to turn on the headlights & reached for the wrong switch, accidentally turning on Sport Mode. 😳  Trans downshifted and the rear end fish-tailed. My wife instantly look at me and asked "WTF was that?!?!" 😐 Turned to her with a 'oh sh*t' look on my face and said "Oops, wrong switch". She wasn't happy. 

• Like 2

I use Sport mode whenever I'm entering the freeway. Be careful when switching it on though. I was making my way onto an onramp one day & it was raining. Went to turn on the headlights & reached for the wrong switch, accidentally turning on Sport Mode. [emoji15]  Trans downshifted and the rear end fish-tailed. My wife instantly look at me and asked "WTF was that?!?!" [emoji52] Turned to her with a 'oh sh*t' look on my face and said "Oops, wrong switch". She wasn't happy. 

Just carry the drift as long as you can and shout,"WEEEEEEE!" Instead of being unhappy she'll look at you like you're crazy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...