What Exactly Does Sport Mode Do?

Curious if anyone know what exactly sport mode does.  I can certainly feel a difference.

Does it only change the transmission programming/shift points?  Or is there anything else related to the engine programming or perhaps DFM?

Still new to this truck, but it feels like there is more of a difference than transmission shift point changes alone would give.

24 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Manual says it changes steering feel too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah- it makes the steering a little heavier. I think the DFM changes a bit too- just from what I’ve noticed.  It still drops cylinders but not quite as readily. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Manual says it changes steering feel too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it does, bit heavier and maybe not as quick (maybe).  Tried it out on the trip to NV this week, and it really helps me on the curves; gives me that old "feel the road" sense you used to get from vehicles that didn't steer by wire.  

• Like 1

I wish there was a way to keep a mode set... while they are at it make tow/haul turn on when a trailer is connected instead of only showing a stupid alert to turn it on. 

Probably some gas mileage / EPA thing...

Edited by flowbytwo

• 2 months later...

It makes wives bitchy. It's more responsive to small throttle inputs, which mine notices and then uses as an excuse to chew me out.  I've learned to save sport mode for.my own time.  

I think everyone already covered what it does.  Once we crack the ECM, I'm hoping HPTuners and Trifecta can have the sport mode be the ARM state for the tune, so I don't have to turn cruise on and off.  That gets old.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Leave wife at home, open door, put on seat belt, push start button to fire up the 5.3/8 spd., push start/stop button, rotate control to sport and ready to rock and roll on back roads w/hairpin turns on 285 R22 50's. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

anyone done any unscientific study on mpg in sport mode?

Pretty much anything that encourages your to mash down on the gas pedal a little more is going to consume more gas.

Like the guys who tell me an exhaust and intake will improve my gas mileage -- no it won't, because I want to hear it!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, scdaren said:

Like the guys who tell me an exhaust and intake will improve my gas mileage -- no it won't, because I want to hear it!

? That's the truth! Since I modded my exhaust, my MPG has definitely gone down. It's too fun to run up to 50mph from a stop light and hear the V8 growl!