Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

scdaren

What Exactly Does Sport Mode Do?

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, econometrics said:

🤣 That's the truth! Since I modded my exhaust, my MPG has definitely gone down. It's too fun to run up to 50mph from a stop light and hear the V8 growl! 

Shoooot....haha I put a K&N filter in and had my body flash it to relearn the new air fuel...All i do is romp it to hear it hahaha. Whatever though we only live once, gotta enjoy it and be safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, econometrics said:

🤣 That's the truth! Since I modded my exhaust, my MPG has definitely gone down. It's too fun to run up to 50mph from a stop light and hear the V8 growl! 

My mileage was exactly the same after I modiifed the exhaust.

 

 

DSCN0606.JPG

DSCN0605.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

My mileage was exactly the same after I modiifed the exhaust.

There's 1 of 2 explanations here... 

 

1. I drove more like a grandma than you before I modded my exhaust

2. You drive more like a grandma than me after you modded your exhaust

 

😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for this post.. I never fussed with sport mode because I thought was for towing only.  Last night I turned that green flag on and boy oh boy was it cool.  These T1s are [email protected]!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2019 at 1:10 PM, scdaren said:

Pretty much anything that encourages your to mash down on the gas pedal a little more is going to consume more gas.

 

Like the guys who tell me an exhaust and intake will improve my gas mileage -- no it won't, because I want to hear it!

yeah the exhaust is always funny for mpg because the driver just ends up driving more aggressively. that's why i said "unscientific" lol. trying to at least keep some variable consistent. 

 

sounds like its maybe more of a comfort thing though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BlackRST said:

Shoooot....haha I put a K&N filter in and had my body flash it to relearn the new air fuel...All i do is romp it to hear it hahaha. Whatever though we only live once, gotta enjoy it and be safe. 

did you do just the filter or an intake? i still have my filter from my 16 and it says it's the same model for the 19. just haven't got around to it yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Belo said:

yeah the exhaust is always funny for mpg because the driver just ends up driving more aggressively. that's why i said "unscientific" lol. trying to at least keep some variable consistent. 

 

sounds like its maybe more of a comfort thing though?

It's more like "Honey, this new exhaust system will improve my gas mileage, and give a bit more power to make passing safer!"

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
did you do just the filter or an intake? i still have my filter from my 16 and it says it's the same model for the 19. just haven't got around to it yet. 



I just did the filter. I don’t want to fuss to much with intakes and such on the truck. 50/50 did it to save me money in long run on filter changes, and for some mild MPG and longevity for the motor. All I did was disconnect the negative batt terminal 30 mins, then reconnect, start it and idle until it’s warm or 10 mins. After that a normal drive and boom it’s learned.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BlackRST said:

 

 


I just did the filter. I don’t want to fuss to much with intakes and such on the truck. 50/50 did it to save me money in long run on filter changes, and for some mild MPG and longevity for the motor. All I did was disconnect the negative batt terminal 30 mins, then reconnect, start it and idle until it’s warm or 10 mins. After that a normal drive and boom it’s learned.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

but actual sound difference huh?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
but actual sound difference huh?
 


Yeah, I don’t know if you’ve seen inside of the new air box filter set up....but it’s restricted horribly. It’s a paper filter with what looks to be a foam piece attached.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lord.kinbote said:

Any negative impacts (besides fuel savings) of driving in sport mode such as increased engine wear, etc?  

I suppose theoretically there would be a bit more engine wear with it holding lower gears and thus higher engine speed, but load also has to be factored into that equation. In reality it probably doesn’t make much, if any difference. These engines don’t mind being run, and I am happy to oblige. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My very brief and unscientific testing on the way to work this morning has led me to believe that Sport Mode may also reduce DFM shutting down cylinders.  Driving on fairly flat highway at constant speed and switching from Tour to Sport, the instant MPG dropped when going into Sport.  Couldn't feel any downshift and I didn't think to look at the RPMs as I was coming up on traffic, so more testing is needed...

 

I have the GM performance exhaust, and it 'seems' like it is louder in Sport, which could be the engine running on more cylinders more of the time, but again, more testing needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sport Mode :

kick the tires & lite the fires 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

drove with sport mode the other day and it is a nice change when you need peppy driving. otherwise i've been leaving it off for normal commuting. Love that this is an option though and it's probably underappreciated and underutilized for the truck community. We bitch a lot and don't praise some of the nice adds.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.