What Exactly Does Sport Mode Do?

19 hours ago, econometrics said:

? That's the truth! Since I modded my exhaust, my MPG has definitely gone down. It's too fun to run up to 50mph from a stop light and hear the V8 growl! 

Shoooot....haha I put a K&N filter in and had my body flash it to relearn the new air fuel...All i do is romp it to hear it hahaha. Whatever though we only live once, gotta enjoy it and be safe. 

20 hours ago, econometrics said:

? That's the truth! Since I modded my exhaust, my MPG has definitely gone down. It's too fun to run up to 50mph from a stop light and hear the V8 growl! 

My mileage was exactly the same after I modiifed the exhaust.

DSCN0606.JPG

DSCN0605.JPG

6 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

My mileage was exactly the same after I modiifed the exhaust.

There's 1 of 2 explanations here... 

1. I drove more like a grandma than you before I modded my exhaust

2. You drive more like a grandma than me after you modded your exhaust

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/6/2019 at 1:10 PM, scdaren said:

Pretty much anything that encourages your to mash down on the gas pedal a little more is going to consume more gas.

Like the guys who tell me an exhaust and intake will improve my gas mileage -- no it won't, because I want to hear it!

yeah the exhaust is always funny for mpg because the driver just ends up driving more aggressively. that's why i said "unscientific" lol. trying to at least keep some variable consistent. 

sounds like its maybe more of a comfort thing though?

4 hours ago, BlackRST said:

Shoooot....haha I put a K&N filter in and had my body flash it to relearn the new air fuel...All i do is romp it to hear it hahaha. Whatever though we only live once, gotta enjoy it and be safe. 

did you do just the filter or an intake? i still have my filter from my 16 and it says it's the same model for the 19. just haven't got around to it yet. 

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

yeah the exhaust is always funny for mpg because the driver just ends up driving more aggressively. that's why i said "unscientific" lol. trying to at least keep some variable consistent. 

sounds like its maybe more of a comfort thing though?

It's more like "Honey, this new exhaust system will improve my gas mileage, and give a bit more power to make passing safer!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

did you do just the filter or an intake? i still have my filter from my 16 and it says it's the same model for the 19. just haven't got around to it yet. 

I just did the filter. I don’t want to fuss to much with intakes and such on the truck. 50/50 did it to save me money in long run on filter changes, and for some mild MPG and longevity for the motor. All I did was disconnect the negative batt terminal 30 mins, then reconnect, start it and idle until it’s warm or 10 mins. After that a normal drive and boom it’s learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, BlackRST said:

I just did the filter. I don’t want to fuss to much with intakes and such on the truck. 50/50 did it to save me money in long run on filter changes, and for some mild MPG and longevity for the motor. All I did was disconnect the negative batt terminal 30 mins, then reconnect, start it and idle until it’s warm or 10 mins. After that a normal drive and boom it’s learned.

but actual sound difference huh?

but actual sound difference huh?

Yeah, I don’t know if you’ve seen inside of the new air box filter set up....but it’s restricted horribly. It’s a paper filter with what looks to be a foam piece attached.

1 hour ago, lord.kinbote said:

Any negative impacts (besides fuel savings) of driving in sport mode such as increased engine wear, etc?  

I suppose theoretically there would be a bit more engine wear with it holding lower gears and thus higher engine speed, but load also has to be factored into that equation. In reality it probably doesn’t make much, if any difference. These engines don’t mind being run, and I am happy to oblige. 

My very brief and unscientific testing on the way to work this morning has led me to believe that Sport Mode may also reduce DFM shutting down cylinders.  Driving on fairly flat highway at constant speed and switching from Tour to Sport, the instant MPG dropped when going into Sport.  Couldn't feel any downshift and I didn't think to look at the RPMs as I was coming up on traffic, so more testing is needed...

I have the GM performance exhaust, and it 'seems' like it is louder in Sport, which could be the engine running on more cylinders more of the time, but again, more testing needed.

• 2 weeks later...

drove with sport mode the other day and it is a nice change when you need peppy driving. otherwise i've been leaving it off for normal commuting. Love that this is an option though and it's probably underappreciated and underutilized for the truck community. We bitch a lot and don't praise some of the nice adds.

• Like 2