Oil Jugs with foil Seals

Is it just me or does anyone just cringe each time you do an oil change and have to poke open that foil seal on the oil jug, paranoid that some small sliver will find its way into the oil.  I think I spend at least 5 minutes with a razor knife making sure it's safe before I pour it, but would really like to just twist it open and pour.  I use Mobil One so i can't speak for the other brands, but why is it that the 1 quart bottles have a plastic cap but no seal, where the 5 gallon jugs always have that darn foil seal?

Anyone else get worked up over this or is this OCD on my part?

I use my pocket knife and cut it smoothly around the lid. Everyone should have a decent pocket knife in their EDC gear. I have never had anything fall in by punching a hole, but you get a better pour when it is fully removed, less glug glug. Stab the bottom of jug while pouring with aforementioned pocket knife for better flow, but that's more for thick 15w40 diesel oil. 

Puncture it in the middle and peel back both sides.  No small pieces, and easy to tear off cleanly.

Use a funnel with a screen if you're really worried after that.

The more time you spend with that knife, the more time you are spending creating the tiny slivers you are afraid of in the first place.

If you pour with the spout up top there's no glug since air can enter the bottle.  That's why bottles typically have the spout on one side instead of centered.

Edited by Daverado

Appreciate the responses.  Of all the things on this forum to be parnoid over, I honestly don't know why this gets to me. Vibration/ TC issues, vacume pump failure, AFM issue, etc... and this of all things somehow gets to me...  I clearly need some time with a theropist or just stop changing my oil all together.

4 minutes ago, Skidsareforkids said:

Just put some in every time you fill up the gas, then you can be sure you’ll never run out emoji869.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HAHAHA!

Ironically, this is almost the truth with the way some of these DIs burn oil :lol:

I actually like the jugs that have the foil seal.  I buy my oil at Walmart most of the time, and I've seen jugs of used oil on the shelves.  I've also seen used oil filters in the boxes on the shelves too.  Walmart will take anything back, so some folks return their used oil and filters for credit.

I always check to make sure the caps are sealed, and the foil seal is just an extra measure of security when I get them home and use them.  Check those filters too!  Not only are some used, some are just the wrong filter in the box (cheap Supertech in your Mobil 1 (ect) box).  A lot of low life folks shop at Walmart :)

• Like 1