Easy Emblem Blackout

14 hours ago, ryanv1212 said:

I thought you blacked out the existing 4 on the existing badges.

Nope,  You might have me confused with someone else.  I removed all chrome emblems and installed 2 vinyl graphics on quarter panel

You can do the emblem blackout. Just take the vinyl, cut squares of it that cover the entire letter including the chrome. Lay it on evenly with no bubbles (simple on such a small thing). Take an xacto knife or similar and carefully slide it along the inside edge of the chrome outline. That will leave just enough vinyl after you've got the letter cut out to tuck into the gap between the letter & chrome outline. If it doesn't want to tuck cleanly, use a bit of heat from a heat gun or hairdryer. You could probably even just do it in the sun to make it conform. 

If it doesn't turn out, just do it again until you get it right. Vinyl is cheap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TaterTots said:

You can do the emblem blackout. Just take the vinyl, cut squares of it that cover the entire letter including the chrome. Lay it on evenly with no bubbles (simple on such a small thing). Take an xacto knife or similar and carefully slide it along the inside edge of the chrome outline. That will leave just enough vinyl after you've got the letter cut out to tuck into the gap between the letter & chrome outline. If it doesn't want to tuck cleanly, use a bit of heat from a heat gun or hairdryer. You could probably even just do it in the sun to make it conform. 

If it doesn't turn out, just do it again until you get it right. Vinyl is cheap.

I guess I thought there was more to it than just applying a sticker based vinyl.  I can't imagine it would last very long in the harsh Chicago winter and summer cycles then?

I live in Duluth, MN & we've got the worst weather on the planet, but I just got my truck in June, so I don't know for certain. The 3M 1080 vinyl I used is made for vehicle wraps so it should hold up fine; it has on our Challenger for the last 2 1/2 years, anyhow. I guess I'll find out in the spring how it holds up on the emblems.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 11/3/2020 at 11:39 AM, RobbyS said:

Can someone explain to me how to do this? I would love to do this on my silverado. 

Order the black vinyl stickers off ebay for like $30.  Then super clean the red part of the letters with alcohol.  Once dry make sure that the letters are not baking in the sun or that its too hot out.  You also dont want it below freezing.  Then slowly and carefully put the vinyl into place over top of the red letters.