Hey guys so I have a 2019 Silverado 1500LD with a 3.42 rear end with 11k on the clock. I've been noticing that my engine or coolant temp goes passed 210F but when it hits the next 1/8 gauge stick it goes back down passed the middle mark to 190°F. Is that normal for 7000 pounds uphill towing in 95°F weather. Talking about the 5N grapevine in Cali for those who know the climb.

On 6/11/2019 at 11:16 PM, bmartinez2086 said:

Hey guys so I have a 2019 Silverado 1500LD with a 3.42 rear end with 11k on the clock. I've been noticing that my engine or coolant temp goes passed 210F but when it hits the next 1/8 gauge stick it goes back down passed the middle mark to 190°F. Is that normal for 7000 pounds uphill towing in 95°F weather. Talking about the 5N grapevine in Cali for those who know the climb.

I believe others will say Yes that is normal.   I personally have no experience towing up steep grades with several thousand pounds but I recall reading on here others have experienced your temps.   Even their trans temps got above 210 or 220 for brief periods. 

Only time my truck ever got "hot" above the 210 mark is when I was in the sand dunes playin around climbin hills with some highish rpm.  Temps came back down pretty quick once i stopped and idled.