Catch Can

I apologize in advance. I know this has been discussed here but I have no luck searching this site for some reason. I would like to know what catch can you guys recommend for our trucks? Thanks is advance for you comments. 

• Like 1

Get the bigger can and if they have a drain valve, its even better.

Mine doesn't have one, im thinking of adding one by drilling and tapping.

Works great, catches a lot of "liquid"

4 minutes ago, dukedkt442 said:

Run a drain hose back to the pan and it’s maintenance free. That’s how the diesels on my work boats do it. 

Are you saying to leave the drain hose valve open so it drains back to the pan all the time? Wouldn't that create a vacuum leak?

Or are you saying to run a drain hose to the pan and just open the valve to drain the oil when you need to empty the can?

• Like 1

Disclosure: I don’t have a catch can on my truck, but was pointing out how the oil separators on our 1000 and 2000 ci marine diesels have it ran. The drain line goes into the side of the pan beneath the oil level. They  are open drain all the time without issue, and being diesel, never have fuel passing over the valves, yet when we pull heads after 10-15k hours, the valves are clean. Clearly that set up works. 

Edited by dukedkt442

8 hours ago, Mileguru said:

Are you saying to leave the drain hose valve open so it drains back to the pan all the time? Wouldn't that create a vacuum leak?

Or are you saying to run a drain hose to the pan and just open the valve to drain the oil when you need to empty the can?

It wouldn't cause a vacuum leak, as the oil pan is in the same "volume" as the valve cover where the PCV is.

Now, it might cause a problem with the catch can not working right, as it may draw air from the hose to the oil pan instead of from the PCV (the catch can won't be designed to condense the oil out of air drawn in via the drain port).  I would suggest only opening the drain port to actually drain the catch can, and leave it close most of the time.

1 hour ago, davester said:

It wouldn't cause a vacuum leak, as the oil pan is in the same "volume" as the valve cover where the PCV is.

Now, it might cause a problem with the catch can not working right, as it may draw air from the hose to the oil pan instead of from the PCV (the catch can won't be designed to condense the oil out of air drawn in via the drain port).  I would suggest only opening the drain port to actually drain the catch can, and leave it close most of the time.

The engines I mentioned are designed to run an oil separator; the drain hose enters the pan under the oil level surface, so oil pump suction must pull from the drain hose.  Most catch-cans are add-ons; these are designed by the manufacturer and included with the engine.  If I were to ever add one to my truck, I'd emulate the set-up.  On our trucks, it would of course be an extensive endeavor (pulling the pan and welding in a fitting to attach the hose).  The biggest draw-back to a catch-can is having to remember to check and empty it; having the oil return to the pan 1) eliminates the hassle of checking/draining and 2) eliminates oil "consumption."

Edited by dukedkt442

• 4 weeks later...