16 minutes ago, Rmiles2314 said:

Hi all, quick question on this.  I have the 5.3 with single exhaust, I haven't seen any posts or pics with just the single.  Does this make a difference?  I know my sound is good when I first start it but of course quiets down after a few seconds.  Also, I see the clamps and sheet metal on the 3 screens (for those that did the clamps/sheet metal), do you also have to do the valve as well (sorry probably a dumb question) if you're only doing the exhaust tape?  Thanks, I can't wait to try it on mine!!

Not sure what the exhaust on the single pipe set up looks like - if it has resonator screens or not. Crawl under yours and take a look. Probably just has the three screens on the one tail pipe? 

Clamping open the flapper valve is where you get most of the noise improvement from this mod / hack. I would advise you to cover the screens, too. You'll get the best improvement in sound. 

10 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Not sure what the exhaust on the single pipe set up looks like - if it has resonator screens or not. Crawl under yours and take a look. Probably just has the three screens on the one tail pipe? 

Clamping open the flapper valve is where you get most of the noise improvement from this mod / hack. I would advise you to cover the screens, too. You'll get the best improvement in sound. 

Thank you!  Yeah, it has just the one pipe and 3 screens.  The flapper valve is just up a ways on the pipe, correct?  I have the Cherry Red Texas Edition and am saddened to have not got dual exhaust.  I love that look but will have to eventually do duals later on, hoping this will be a good and easy experiment!

6 minutes ago, Rmiles2314 said:

Thank you!  Yeah, it has just the one pipe and 3 screens.  The flapper valve is just up a ways on the pipe, correct?  I have the Cherry Red Texas Edition and am saddened to have not got dual exhaust.  I love that look but will have to eventually do duals later on, hoping this will be a good and easy experiment!

On the trucks with dual exhaust, the flapper is just before the muffler intake. 

Look at pictures posted previously in this thread, and you should see it. 

so i love tinkering with my truck...couldnt help trying this out. used the hvac tape...did the whole thing in the dark with a flashlight in 10 minutes. my honest review is that it def makes noticeable difference, and while its a great idea, cant beat the result for spending 10-20 bucks. It does not compare to a true exhaust upgrade.  I did an exhaust on my 2015...infact the old valve mod on that one is what sparked the bug lol. in closing this is a great mod. its low cost, actually works and gets people to get working on their truck and get a little dirty. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mfbearded said:

so i love tinkering with my truck...couldnt help trying this out. used the hvac tape...did the whole thing in the dark with a flashlight in 10 minutes. my honest review is that it def makes noticeable difference, and while its a great idea, cant beat the result for spending 10-20 bucks. It does not compare to a true exhaust upgrade.  I did an exhaust on my 2015...infact the old valve mod on that one is what sparked the bug lol. in closing this is a great mod. its low cost, actually works and gets people to get working on their truck and get a little dirty. 

Did you also do the flapper valve?  There were a few different ways I saw on here, just curious how you handled yours in such a little amount of time!

On 9/25/2019 at 9:12 AM, Rmiles2314 said:

Did you also do the flapper valve?  There were a few different ways I saw on here, just curious how you handled yours in such a little amount of time!

yes i also did the flapper. used a piece of exhaust pipe strap (approx. 3'' long'') and hose clamp as someone else did above. used the hvac tape as well. as i stated i changed my own exhaust myself on my 2015 so i was knew my way around the truck and where things are. the valve is right before the muffler and the screens are right near the rear tires. 

9 hours ago, mfbearded said:

yes i also did the flapper. used a piece of exhaust pipe strap (approx. 3'' long'') and hose clamp as someone else did above. used the hvac tape as well. as i stated i changed my own exhaust myself on my 2015 so i was knew my way around the truck and where things are. the valve is right before the muffler and the screens are right near the rear tires. 

Thank you, hope to do it soon, will update once completed!

Just a note...I was under my truck the other day and see that all but one section of my HVAC tape has came off.  I imagine if I would have wrapped all the way around the pipe, it wouldn't have came off as easily.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:28 PM, econometrics said:

I plan on doing this mod this weekend.  I admittedly haven't been under the truck yet to review, but am confused at how to clamp open the flapper valve.  Covering the screens makes total sense; I am just looking for more clarification on how the flapper works to best clamp it open.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, econometrics said:

You won’t get much sound change doing this. 

Thanks, you are correct a little change, mostly on a cold start.  What I did notice was when pulling our trailer and the RPMs got up around 3K plus it got a little obnoxious sounding to me.  That’s just the resonators covered, the flapper doing its thing.  

45 minutes ago, Zrouge1 said:

Thanks, you are correct a little change, mostly on a cold start.  What I did notice was when pulling our trailer and the RPMs got up around 3K plus it got a little obnoxious sounding to me.  That’s just the resonators covered, the flapper doing its thing.  

??

For me, the growl when the engine is under load or revved is just right. But I’m someone who was really considering a performance exhaust. So at the price it cost to do this hack, I’ve been loving it for what it is.