5 hours ago, Moend said:

Anyone knows why GM installed this system in the first place. The flapper doodad sounds like to add restriction and I thought more flow is better?!

Also, does this mod effect mpg?

Thanks!

The flapper is there to keep the tone of the exhaust sounding close to normal when the truck goes down to less than V8 with DFM.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was skeptical about this, but the truck was just  too quite, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it. Wow, what a difference for $10 in hose clamps I had to buy. Now when you give it gas it sounds like there is something other than an electric motor under the hood. Works for now, and I don't have to rip out a brand new exhaust system. Thanks for the tip!

Edited by RobZ
punctuation error
  • Like 1

By changing the flow of exhaust out the back, does this affect California Emissions at all?  (easy enough to remove for the Smog test though if it does)

Only changes sound. It's after the last catalytic converter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 9/13/2019 at 7:39 AM, RobZ said:

I was skeptical about this, but the truck was just  too quite, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it. Wow, what a difference for $10 in hose clamps I had to buy. Now when you give it gas it sounds like there is something other than an electric motor under the hood. Works for now, and I don't have to rip out a brand new exhaust system. Thanks for the tip!

Glad you're enjoying it! 

I was back in my hometown this weekend, and took my dad's '67 Camaro RS out for a few rides with the Mrs. 327 with headers and straight out the bottom. LOUD little sucker. 

Got back to DFW airport and started the RST walking up to her, and the cold start with this little exhaust hack sounded just as good as firing up that Camaro, IMO. 

This little trick makes the truck feel like American muscle again. 

On 9/13/2019 at 9:07 AM, Chris Callanan said:

By changing the flow of exhaust out the back, does this affect California Emissions at all?  (easy enough to remove for the Smog test though if it does)

27151(a) CVC could apply and is no longer a correctable violation.  

On 9/17/2019 at 1:27 PM, Dylan Culbreth said:

This is genius Im going to try this tonight, upside to working in a chemical plant theres hose clamps and sheet metal everywhere .......

Let us know what you think! 

After almost 3 months of this, I'm still very pleased with how much this little, cheap hack has made my RST come to life. 

Did this to mine yesterday - deepens the tone for sure.

Heads up if you’re considering using the hvac tape - I got stuck in downtown bumper to bumper traffic and it burned off the hvac tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I know this has been asked in this thread before, but anyone notice any changes in MPG after doing this little hack/tune? 

I find it hard to believe that this would affect MPG at all, but it seems like ever since I did this to mine, my MPG has been worse. 

Granted, I did this in the spring and the hot summer months involved a lot of remote starts to AC the truck, etc. My driving also was a little more city vs. hwy. But still, I never saw 13mpg avg in the DIC before I did this mod, that I can recall. Now I seem to see it much more frequently. 

15 minutes ago, BigBlueLB756 said:

I'm an o-l-d man and I really don't worry about mileage any more.  Good, cheap entertainment and a lot cheaper per gallon than bottled water!

Truth. 

I didn’t care as much about MPG with my 2007 Silverado. But this new one - with all its MPG hype and more advanced calculation options in the DIC - makes me think about it more than I used to. I don’t CARE any more than I used to, but I do find myself trying to keep my lifetime MPG above 16mpg, ha. 

Hi all, quick question on this.  I have the 5.3 with single exhaust, I haven't seen any posts or pics with just the single.  Does this make a difference?  I know my sound is good when I first start it but of course quiets down after a few seconds.  Also, I see the clamps and sheet metal on the 3 screens (for those that did the clamps/sheet metal), do you also have to do the valve as well (sorry probably a dumb question) if you're only doing the exhaust tape?  Thanks, I can't wait to try it on mine!!