Thoughts and Feedback on 8-speed Transmission: Should I Be Concerned?

So I know that this topic has been covered elsewhere on the forum, but figured I would revisit the topic based on this GM Authority article that I read this morning.

Back in May, I ordered a Crew Cab Standard Box RST, which I am still waiting for to get the dealer.  Had the 6.2L 10 speed trans been available for 2019, I would have seriously contemplated upgrading to the 6.2.  I test drove 2 LT's with the 5.3L 8-speed.  One of the trucks downshifted or lurched as I approached a red light, which really had me scratching my head.  Should I be nervous with this temperamental 8-speed tranny?  

I was hoping to get some more feedback from everyone about their 8, as well as 10-speed transmissions.  I know some people with the 8-speed have said they've had no issues upon breaking in the vehicle, while others have complained about occasional downshifting and overall non-fluidity.  I intend to break mine in the way that I plan to drive it.  I know the manual says to keep under 55mph and to not drive at any one constant speed.  Haven't heard many people complain about their 6.2 10-speed.  After building my truck, MSRP came to around 56k.  A 56k truck with a possibly unreliable trans makes me really uneasy.  People put their hard earned money into these vehicles and any sort of issue is unacceptable.  I will most definitely test drive the truck again once it gets to my dealer and I guess go from there.

I am a loyal GM guy, but just seems that GM is always making their customers want a bit more.  This 10-speed 6.2L should have been available from the get go.  I can live with things with the truck, like a poor paint job susceptible to chips and minor things like no more adjustable pedals, sunglass holder, etc., but a faulty trans that could possibly be removed from GM's lineup altogether later down the road is not something I'm ready to fork over 50k for.

Let me know everyone's thoughts again.  Here is the article: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/the-gm-8-speed-transmission-just-needs-to-go-away-asap/

Just under 5k miles and a little over two months into ownership with my 5.3 / 8spd. No real complaints, the trans is pretty smooth. Not the smoothest transmission I have ever had in a vehicle but I cant really knock it for anything. Definitely got smoother after about 2100 miles.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RUGER AT4 said:

Just under 5k miles and a little over two months into ownership with my 5.3 / 8spd. No real complaints, the trans is pretty smooth. Not the smoothest transmission I have ever had in a vehicle but I cant really knock it for anything. Definitely got smoother after about 2100 miles.

Thank you for the feedback.  Had a '15 LTZ with the 6-spd and I probably would say the same.  Was smooth, but probably not the smoothest.

You didn't spend enough. If you had spent 60k you would have a reliable transmission... Kidding, but seriously, nothing points to the transmission being unreliable, it just doesn't drive how some think it should even though they drive just fine with the occasional clunk. It is an incredibly complex device that takes readings on so many levels it is impossible for it to have covered every possibly throttle position/oil temp/speed/grade/temperature/humidity/gas octane etc to never have an occasional issue. Drive it and enjoy it, they learn over time too. Most don't have any issues, you just hear about the select minority (very minority) that have had problems on the forums and it is only compounded by threads like this. 

As far as the wants a bit more thing, that happens to every manufacturer at every price point; which is why it is comical when people say they spent such and such amount of money and deserve so and so in return. Someone says at 56k it should have come with this or done that, it does at 60k but then the person at 60k expects it should do this or come with that and so on. People are never satisfied and that is what is sad when those unsatisfactions turn in to unwarranted complaints. Something better will always come along, look at enjoying what you have and others don't...

Tyler

• Like 2

8k miles on my 8 speed. It was a tad rough the first few thousand miles, but it has smoothed out quite a bit.

TBH I would've opted for the 6.2 and the 10AT, but that wasn't an option. I'm not unhappy with the transmission. I prefer it over my wife's 8 speed in her 2017 RX.

1 minute ago, amxguy1970 said:

You didn't spend enough. If you had spent 60k you would have a reliable transmission... Kidding, but seriously, nothing points to the transmission being unreliable, it just doesn't drive how some think it should even though they drive just fine with the occasional clunk. It is an incredibly complex device that takes readings on so many levels it is impossible for it to have covered every possibly throttle position/oil temp/speed/grade/temperature/humidity/gas octane etc to never have an occasional issue. Drive it and enjoy it, they learn over time too. Most don't have any issues, you just hear about the select minority (very minority) that have had problems on the forums and it is only compounded by threads like this. 

As far as the wants a bit more thing, that happens to every manufacturer at every price point; which is why it is comical when people say they spent such and such amount of money and deserve so and so in return. Someone says at 56k it should have come with this or done that, it does at 60k but then the person at 60k expects it should do this or come with that and so on. People are never satisfied and that is what is sad when those unsatisfactions turn in to unwarranted complaints. Something better will always come along, look at enjoying what you have and others don't...

Tyler

Great way of putting it.  Both of these comments thus far have definitely eased my mind, haha.  And you are right, posts like these and articles like the one I posted definitely exacerbate the whole issue and make it seem like all the 8-speeds have issues.

Appreciate your input.

-Brian

The only thing I have experienced is just a slightly rough first to second shift only in cold weather or when the trans temp is low when first starting out my drive.  After the fluid gets up to temp it shifts fine and I have no complaints. 

1 hour ago, 4weight said:

The only thing I have experienced is just a slightly rough first to second shift only in cold weather or when the trans temp is low when first starting out my drive.  After the fluid gets up to temp it shifts fine and I have no complaints. 

That is exactly how GM engineered the 8speeds...If it did not have what you described something would be wrong with it.  It is done to aid in heating the fluid faster.

• Like 1

It seems like my 8 speed is becoming smoother the more I drive it, 1000 miles on it now. I can barely notice the 2-1 downshift when approaching a stop, unlike before it was really concerning to me. I also found she would engage drive from park in a very harsh way as well which I solved by applying the park brake. It's frig all of a slant I park on as well but it solved it. Now I'm happy with this ride, finally. I'm thinking about throwing some amsoil tranny fluid in her just for the frig of it since it turned my '15 sierra into butter.

Edited by SierraScreech
  • Like 1

As others here have already chimed in to note, my 8 speed has gotten consistently better with mileage. I have 2600 on my RST 4x4 now, and the trans has really turned into an excellent shifting machine. 

I never really had any bad shifts, or routinely harsh shifts in the first 2000 miles, but it really works great lately. I think it's geared very well for quick acceleration, and it downshifts to slow the truck very nicely. 

1 hour ago, mookdoc6 said:

That is exactly how GM engineered the 8speeds...If it did not have what you described something would be wrong with it.  It is done to aid in heating the fluid faster.

Thanks Mook, you learn something new every day !

15 minutes ago, 4weight said:

Thanks Mook, you learn something new every day !

yeah, I know it can be odd and concerning especially when the 1st, 2nd draaaaag out like pausing in middle of shifts when cold soaked.  Ironically, as harsh as it is it's less wear and even on the felt down shifts 3-1 and up 1-3 thereafter.  I just left a shop that specifically tunes LT's LS's and 8L90's they have nothing but praise for the Durability in Stock form as they are super robust from factory.  They don't even upgrade the internals for Track Z06's as they can handle serious punishment and don't fail?  He did mention they have quarks and all act exactly the same.