Double cab rear seat space

I’ve recently began looking at new trucks as I’d like to upgrade from my current ‘07 F150 regular cab. I am in no NEED for a new truck therefore I am taking my time and seeing what I really NEED vs WANT.  I’ve had my eye on a coupe trucks and have narrowed it down between the Sierra 1500 and RAM 1500. 

NEED: 4dr, 4x4, bed to carry hunting gear. 

WANT: crew cab, bucket seats w/ center console.

(bucket seats and center console might as well be in NEED)...

Now, I’m leaning towards the Sierra. However, I really want a crew cab and center console, which the AT4 is the lowest priced trim that will

allow that, am I right? Unfortunately I feel spending 50k+ on a truck is outrageous, nor can I realistically afford it. The next best that allows me to get a center console in an aggressive style truck is the elevation...but it comes in a double cab, not the crew cab...

Coming from a regular cab, anything will be an upgrade, but I feel I’ll be disappointed with the lack of rear space in the double cab. 

I’ve got no kids right now, however, the way things are going that could EASILY change the next few years. Addition of a dog as well. Is the double cab large enough? 

5 hours ago, CuppedUp said:

I’ve recently began looking at new trucks as I’d like to upgrade from my current ‘07 F150 regular cab. I am in no NEED for a new truck therefore I am taking my time and seeing what I really NEED vs WANT.  I’ve had my eye on a coupe trucks and have narrowed it down between the Sierra 1500 and RAM 1500. 

NEED: 4dr, 4x4, bed to carry hunting gear. 

WANT: crew cab, bucket seats w/ center console.

(bucket seats and center console might as well be in NEED)...

Now, I’m leaning towards the Sierra. However, I really want a crew cab and center console, which the AT4 is the lowest priced trim that will

allow that, am I right? Unfortunately I feel spending 50k+ on a truck is outrageous, nor can I realistically afford it. The next best that allows me to get a center console in an aggressive style truck is the elevation...but it comes in a double cab, not the crew cab...

Coming from a regular cab, anything will be an upgrade, but I feel I’ll be disappointed with the lack of rear space in the double cab. 

I’ve got no kids right now, however, the way things are going that could EASILY change the next few years. Addition of a dog as well. Is the double cab large enough? 

Hey, I was actually in this same situation recently. I went out and test drove both a crew and double cab....Each time having my brother sit in the back and fiance up front to gauge the space....Heck I even went as far as to borrow a car seat from my buddy to strap in to see. With all that being said, the double cab was personally too small for my liking. Im short (5'6'') so even with my seat decently far up it still was a struggle to pack a car seat and adults inside. If you plan on keeping the truck for a while (As do i) I would suggest waiting a bit until you can realistically swing a crew cab RST or LT (i found that the LT could be had for 37-39k on sale crew cab etc etc.) I personally just bit the bullet and bought the RST Z71 Crew. If you are able to knock the center console off your "need" list then the custom crews can be had for very very good prices. Coming from an 2007, these 2019s even in the custom trim are amazingly equipped. At least up here in NY, Bob Johnson does some unreal sales on them pretty regularly.  

I didn't think AT4 is the lowest trim for buckets, console, crew cab.  I think you could get that in an SLT and maybe even SLE, but I'm not sure on the SLE.  If it must be leather you probably need SLT.  You could look into a Silverado RST as well.

Had a double cab in my '16 and swore next would be a crew cab with more room......until I tried out the '19s. On paper the rear specs appear the same, but not. Seems they redesigned the rear seating so it is more upright giving about 2" more legroom.....couple that with the redesigned leather front buckets/console and increased forwards front leg room so the redesigned leather buckets can move more toward the firewall area for same size driver .....more side room with elimination of the parking brake pedal......and more than enough so the 6 footers can ride with no complaints.

Good for me because the sports bar/sail on the appearance package looks just right on the double cab and out of place behind the longer crew cab.

• Like 1

Double cab is definitely friendlier on the budget in any trim level, and you get a bigger bed in the same footprint as the CC short box (Yes you can get a standard box crew cab too).

I just don’t think I could go back to double cab anymore. The extra cabin space is used much more often than the extra bed space was for me. With the seats up you might be surprised how much of your gear can fit back there too.

I say Bite the bullet know,if you don’t  like your truck cause it’s too small then you will want to trade it and loose money . Just be more agressive in dealing the price i am sure you can cut back that difference in cost.

And i agree with others,once you have a crew cab it’s almost impossible to go back to smaller . You will not regret it.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:06 PM, CuppedUp said:

You can get it on an SLT. I recently bought one for $46.2K pre tax that was sticker priced at $59.8K and had a lot more in terms of features than what you need.

Using GMC's website you can build a 4x4 crew cab SLT with bucket seats and a center console for a sticker price of $51,460 for a short box or $51,760 for a standard box. The only package option you would need is the "SLT Convenience Package" which adds the bucket seats and console plus some more nice features like power silding on the rear window and heated & ventilated front seats.  If you can find one on a dealer's lot towards the end of the month with just those options you could probably get it for under $40K.

• Like 1

While I don't have a 19. I went from a double cab 14 to a crew 16 when my son was born. We had to put the seat so far up to accommodate his car seat that my wife was practically in the dash. The crew cab was a big difference. I'd hold out for the crew cab if I had to make the decision again.

• Like 1

They didn’t start production in Mexico until late last year, so all of the early crew cabs are US built. Now it’s pretty much evenly split between US and Mexico from what I’ve seen. 

• Thanks 1

No more "3" as the leading digit in the VIN for me on any GM...............learned my lesson with the Avalanches. Specifically looked only at "1"s before purchasing this Silvy.