Which truck.....

So in the market for a new truck since mine was tottalled. 

Wanting to build a sport truck...narrowed it down to two options.

Used 2018 F-150 Crew Cab  STX  4x4 5.0 with 3.31 gears and 10-speed locking rear . It has exhaust on it already, but it has a leveling kit with 35" bfg with raptor wheels. I figure I can pull them off sell them for some $$$ to lower the truck. I can get this truck for $33k

New 2019 Silverado Custom extended cab. 5.3L with 6-speed. 2wd 3.42 gears and heavy duty locking rear diff . Has the factory 22's  and I kinda like the new body style. 

Not gonna be racing anyone really, Living in Florida really don't need 4wd...what woud you go with.

That Ford 5.0 has a lot of reported problems. I would take a new truck over a used modded truck everyday. 

You're not going to get much support for the Ford in a GM forum. 

• Like 1

A casual read of the Ford forums about the oil consumption and long block replacements on the '18 5.0 engines would give me considerable pause on buying the Ford.  Not being brand loyal, if the truck was one of the ecoboost engines (I can't believe I'm saying this) you'd probably have a better shot at reliability than the 2018 5.0.  Here's a few to get you started.  Hopefully Ford gets the issues with their 5.0 ironed out.

5.0 oil consumption

5.0 deceleration rattle

5.0 acceleration whistle

Edited by Foghorn17

I had two oil users new. A 94 Z28, 99 4.6 Ford P/U. After 20K miles I put a S/C on the Ford. Both never exceeded the original 2500 miles per quart. Both lasted the 130K miles I drove them. Now my latest oil user. 8 years ago I bought a 92 pickup. Stroked blown modified truck. It burned or used oil at the rate of 1qt every 500 miles. No smoke no leaks. I started the process of replacing it with an LS motor, transmission, wire harness etc. The first year I used it as a daily to my office. I flat abused it, I figured what the hell. Going on 9 years later it’s still going. The only way oil usage would concern my now is it wasn’t using and then started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the 2016 F-150 with the 5.0 V8, fantastic truck, absolutely no problems whatsoever, but what I'm hearing on the 5.0 V8's on the 2018 models, I don't think I'd want a Ford. Get the fancy 2017 or before with the V8. Both F-150 and Silverado hold value very well.

Since it holds value very well, I don't want to buy used since it's just little savings compared to a sedan. I could be buying somebody else's problems. The warranty will go away sooner with used. I'd prefer a peace of mind... and most dealerships will give you a loaner car if you buy new from them.

I'm a Silverado guy, but I will say that the STX package should come with the SYNC 3 8" touchscreen and the Custom Silverado does not come with a system that nice.

I think the STX package is the best looking of the F150's. I like that grill a lot. I strongly considered getting an F150 with that grille, but in a higher trim level. It was just too much $, so I went with an RST instead. I'm glad I did. It's an excellent truck. 

Ford changed the design of the 5.0 for 2018. The aluminum block no longer has sleeves. Instead they use a plasma arc to deposit a thin layer of iron onto the surface of the aluminum. Apparently it has led to some issues with piston to bore clearances being too big. Lots of piston slap and oil consumption issues as a result. They also have new issues with cam phaser rattling. They issued a TSB where they updated the engine tune to try to address the rattle but it just changed what conditions cause the phaser rattle to occur.  That's the downside of  fairly complex DOHC engine, there are a ton of components that need engine oil at the top of the engine and most of the issues Ford has had to work through with engine designs over the years have had to do with oil pressure and flow to components in the heads. I would be weary of a low mileage used 2018 F-150. They have a few issues to resolve with the new design. If they even keep using it. In May, they cut a whole shift at the Windsor plant that builds the Coyote. Ford would rather sell you a 2.7 Ecoboost truck.

Edited by HondaHawkGT
  • Like 1