What Drove Your Engine Choice?

Basically it was a monetary decesion.  I didn't want to pay over 40K and I wanted a crew cab, 4WD, Z71, Leather, V8 and an exterior color of blue.  There were some other things that were nice but not a deal breaker like remote start, keyless entry, etc.  

I didn't care about specific trim or specific V8 engine.  Basically because this is my first time buying a truck and honestly didn't know much about them.  Anyway I got all the options I wanted for the price I wanted.  I would entertain the thought of getting the 6.2 next time.  

Ok. I almost didn't want to post this because I feel I will incite a heated debate on this thread. I've seen this mentioned multiple times here. The 6.2 does not require premium gas, it recommends it. Sure, you lose some power and a little gas mileage but you can run regular and the engine will be absolutely fine. I don't know how much power you lose or what gas mileage you get with regular. Maybe if someone has dinoed regular and premium with the 6.2, perhaps they can post some numbers and fuel economy differences too. 

Maybe true. So then don’t get leather, Bose, sun roof, and a few other SLT and up goodies. That would be called the SLE, all star, Texas Edition package and the 5.3. The savings would be many thousands. If you’re going to pay the premium for the engine why wouldn’t you put the proper fuel in it? That’s like buying a blower and putting a very large pulley on it eliminating boosts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

I can’t stand a damn fart can. 

A large displacement 4 cyl makes a unique noise all its own (I have the 2.7 in this, a 3.0 in the boat). Just a deep enough grumble not to be buzzy but not a coarse noise like a V6 or the rumble/roar of a V8. My Cruze is exceedingly quiet and sort of thrums along, and the Mercedes is about the same. (Although those are 1.4 and 1.8 liter turbos respectively). 

I love a good inline-6, but sadly they are so few and far between. 

Obviously by the list above, I’m a huge turbo guy (aside from the boat... that is), so that has a factor too. 

Yeah, it is really too bad that there is not a quality inline 6 for pickup trucks anymore.  They were always the reliable workhorses that offered excellent low end torque, just what is needed for a pickup truck that is supposed to be a tool to get a job done.  And being a huge turbo guy, a inline 6 with a turbo is the cat's meow.    I still have never developed a liking for turbos on V motors.  The complexity is not worth the effort.   Supercharging, yes.

50 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Maybe true. So then don’t get leather, Bose, sun roof, and a few other SLT and up goodies. That would be called the SLE, all star, Texas Edition package and the 5.3. The savings would be many thousands. If you’re going to pay the premium for the engine why wouldn’t you put the proper fuel in it? That’s like buying a blower and putting a very large pulley on it eliminating boosts.

I was expecting at least one reply like this ? which is why I didn't want to start the regular/premium and required/recommended debate. It happens on all car forums without fail. @KARNUT, i'm not attacking you, your points are valid. I never claimed I use regular for my 6.2. I just didn't want to spread misinformation that the 6.2 requires premium fuel. It recommends it which is not the same as required. This is in the owner's manual and also stamped on the fuel door.  

I'm an engineer and prefer numbers rather than feeling. I don't have dyno results to say for certain and would actually like to see one myself in regards to this. My suspicion though, based on working in the engineering industry is, if using regular fuel caused a very significant reduction in horsepower (i'm talking about over 10hp), GM would have put this disclaimer in the owner's manual. Again, i could be wrong on this. If someone has access to a dyno, maybe they can help the community out with some numbers. Now if the 6.2 required premium fuel, this would be a separate discussion. 

I was expecting at least one reply like this [emoji846] which is why I didn't want to start the regular/premium and required/recommended debate. It happens on all car forums without fail. [mention=127393]KARNUT[/mention], i'm not attacking you, your points are valid. I never claimed I use regular for my 6.2. I just didn't want to spread misinformation that the 6.2 requires premium fuel. It recommends it which is not the same as required. This is in the owner's manual and also stamped on the fuel door.  

I'm an engineer and prefer numbers rather than feeling. I don't have dyno results to say for certain and would actually like to see one myself in regards to this. My suspicion though, based on working in the engineering industry is, if using regular fuel caused a very significant reduction in horsepower (i'm talking about over 10hp), GM would have put this disclaimer in the owner's manual. Again, i could be wrong on this. If someone has access to a dyno, maybe they can help the community out with some numbers. Now if the 6.2 required premium fuel, this would be a separate discussion. 

My point is why take the chance? The money spent to get the 6.2 a few dollars at the pump, really? I’ve spent extra money for an engine package. Some vehicles it was a bridge too far. I just wanted the vehicle for style more than speed. I wouldn’t put premium in my Camry, but I do in my truck.

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

You make valid points, but its not a make or break.  In boosted cars/trucks you can run a low grade fuel when youre daily driving. Then when you want to swap tunes or run at peak power/performance you dump your corn in and youre off. But to each their own on that thought. 

You make valid points, but its not a make or break.  In boosted cars/trucks you can run a low grade fuel when youre daily driving. Then when you want to swap tunes or run at peak power/performance you dump your corn in and youre off. But to each their own on that thought. 

I remember when the turbo mustang first came out. It had a switch on the dash for reg or premium fuel. My 92 Chevy truck sounds like marbles in a tin can with reg gas.

19 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I remember when the turbo mustang first came out. It had a switch on the dash for reg or premium fuel. My 92 Chevy truck sounds like marbles in a tin can with reg gas.

Oh i dont think its the best thing to have to do, but it possible. Way easier on modified cars that have specific tunes too. Which neither are the case for the 6.2 at least until a tuner can crack the ecu to develop it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

I wanted 2 6.2 liter V8’s in my garage, that is all. 

I dont blame you, I'd love that for the fact to just have it haha. But in the RST it was a no go sadly until this coming year :( Either way it boogies enough for me coming from a 4cyl NA car haha. 

21 hours ago, truck_newbie said:

So for me, I went with the 6.2 because of the 10-speed and badge on the side ?

Bragging rights is a good and popular reason for choosing the 6.2.  A 10 speed transmission conjures up images of the muscle found in very heavy duty trucks!  Also, the sensation of driving a vehicle with copious amounts of surplus power is a constant thrill.  TV shows like "Vegas Rat Rods" capitalize on our thirst for monster power!  

If you find yourself trying to justify the purchase of a 6.2 for any other reasons then you are fooling yourself, imo.   My experience is that your pickup will efficiently, safely and effectively operate under the specified loads with the base powertrain offered.  If an engine upgrade creates a financial hardship or you need to give up on other more personally desirable options then don't feel pressured to upgrade.   You will have a great truck that you can boast about and be proud to own with any of the engines offered!  

• Like 1

In line 6, check; turbo, check; gobs of torque, check; excellent fuel economy, check. I have been involved in diesel the technology industry for 30 years and have seen the development of it's emissions systems from the start. I'll take my chances on the current technology. On order. I'll let you know it goes if it ever comes in.

• Like 3

I test drove identical 4WD Denalis one 6.2 and the other 5.3, back to back and there wasn't enough performance difference to justify the additional up front cost or the requirement of premium fuel. I'm at about 9k miles so far and if I were to make the decision over, I think I'd stay with the 5.3L, it has done everything I have asked of it including towing with ease. When I feel the need to burn some premium fuel and desecrate the speed laws I hop in my wife's E class Mercedes Benz.  

IMG_4197.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1