What Drove Your Engine Choice?

Before purchasing, I had my mind set on the 5.3 because I was mostly concerned about fuel economy. Figured the 5.3 had the best balance of power, smoothness and fuel economy. After quite a bit of research, the trend I was seeing was that the real world fuel economy for the 5.3 wasn’t significantly better than the 6.2. Maybe like 1 or 2 mpg. I test drove quite a few 5.3s and I found the power to be adequate for my needs but I was worried about the 8 speed transmission shudder issue some were reporting. I did have a valid reason to be concerned because I had a similar issue on my Cadillac CTS which also had an 8 speed. It was eventually fixed but took a long time to resolve.

So for me, I went with the 6.2 because of the 10-speed and badge on the side ?

• Like 1

I wanted an RST with a V8... so the 5.3L was my only choice. 

However, if the 6.2L had been available (as it will be in 2020 RSTs), I'm not sure what I would have done. I don't need the extra HP or torque, that's for sure. I probably would have stuck with the 5.3L. I had it in my 2007 and it was very good to me. The new DFM 5.3L mated to the 8speed is a very responsive, quick and fun powertrain to drive. 

• Like 1

To me, I had nothing but problems with my 2005 GMC Canyon 3.5L. it was not a proven motor. I wanted my first new truck to have a proven motor. The L84 is a newer motor but has a proven track record over a lot of other motors out there. I want the power when towing and wanted the reliability. I haven't had any real issues with my 8 speed but only time will tell.

Edited by BlancoSilverado

I could of lived with getting the 4.3, but most of them around here was work trucks. The 5.3 mpg was not much more than 4.3 and it was more fun to drive and more power than 4.3 also the 5.3 didn't use premium gas like the 6.2 did. I also rather have the 5.3 with 6 speed as well. In BC when you go camping or fishing there are lots of mountain and elevation so the extra power helps over the V6 4.3 towing a trailer and gear in the bed. I'm averaging similar to my mini van I had in the past, it was a 2008 Uplander with the 3.9 4sp ext so I'm happy with my choice.

Edited by Joe's 2017 Silverado

POWER! No really i have owned 5 6.2 trucks now and i am just a car nut so more is better right? I have also owned a number of 5.3s and they have been great too. A biggie for me was i wanted the 10 speed. Had i waited for the announcement of the 6.2/10 becoming available in the rst i might have gone that route but i got a nice AT4. 

• Like 1

This is my second 5.3

My first was an iron block 5.3 2005 in a Yukon. I was moving addresses, it started raining, which got me stepping on it.. That yukon was moving at 90 mph with a 18 ft trailer with 5000 lbs on it.. effortlessly.

I have a 2018 5.3 with a diablo V4 M5 AFM blocker. They are sweet engines at this point, and sooner or later we will be at $4 gas again.

Just changed the oil.. 153 hours and not enough metal to measure. You can see on my finger.. that what metal is there is very tiny.. no large or heavy chunks.. like i have seen from other engines.. these 5.3 will go a long way if you keep the dirt of them and keep the oil clean.

IMG_0817.HEIC

Edited by PPK
  • Like 1

I can't stand the noise a gas V6 or V8 makes and don't like the torque curve of naturally aspirated engines. I also commute 100 miles a day and tow roughly 200-250 miles every weekend and wanted something efficient. I had been holding out for a Diesel - it was taking too long, so I drove the 2.7 and was pleasantly surprised.

1 hour ago, Joe's 2017 Silverado said:

I could of lived with getting the 4.3, but most of them around here was work trucks. The 5.3 mpg was not much more than 4.3 and it was more fun to drive and more power than 4.3 also the 5.3 didn't use premium gas like the 6.2 did. I also rather have the 5.3 with 6 speed as well. In BC when you go camping or fishing there are lots of mountain and elevation so the extra power helps over the V6 4.3 towing a trailer and gear in the bed. I'm averaging similar to my mini van I had in the past, it was a 2008 Uplander with the 3.9 4sp ext so I'm happy with my choice.

Nothing wrong with the 5.3, but as long as you're towing within specifications, the 4.3 is ample.  The loads I use to haul up the Coquihalla, through the Fraser Canyon, up the Alaska Highway, and everywhere in between with my 100 hp 4sp pickups helps me appreciate my 285 hp 4.3!  I'm now retired and haul my travel trailer up and down the Island.  Surprisingly, I actually pass vehicles pulling my trailer up the Malahat! ? Beautiful British Columbia!!

Went 5.3L for resale as it's full size and 90% want a V-8 plus didn't require premium and I guess I am cheap?  The other Main factor was the LT architecture..Strong, reliable and easy to fix and procure parts etc.  Also Mods....the V-8's will always have more options too.

Edited by mookdoc6

Honestly, all the talk on here about how the 6.2 out performs the 5.3 made my decision.  That and I was able to find one somewhat close.  5.3 would have been more than enough for my needs but everyone bragging about how fast it is, etc... I couldn't resist and glad I didn't ?