What Drove Your Engine Choice?

I’ve had 5.3 trucks forever and so does everyone else I know...they run great, especially in the T1s.

That said, I kinda wanted it all this time around, so I went 6.2. Like others, I was wanting to know what the fuss was about because I really didn’t see a point in having a super fast pickup. These trucks are so big and relaxed to drive, you never really feel like you’re going fast anyway...the illusion of speed, and therefore some of the fun, is gone.

Even so, I’m definitely hooked now. Awhile back, I took my performance meter out and wanted to see what she’ll do. My best sprint, even in the heat of summer, hit 60 in 5.71s, and consistently at or under 5.8. Pretty wild for a big brick of a truck and totally unnecessary in daily use. It will only bring trouble. ?

37 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

I’ve had 5.3 trucks forever and so does everyone else I know...they run great, especially in the T1s.

That said, I kinda wanted it all this time around, so I went 6.2. Like others, I was wanting to know what the fuss was about because I really didn’t see a point in having a super fast pickup. These trucks are so big and relaxed to drive, you never really feel like you’re going fast anyway...the illusion of speed, and therefore some of the fun, is gone.

Even so, I’m definitely hooked now. Awhile back, I took my performance meter out and wanted to see what she’ll do. My best sprint, even in the heat of summer, hit 60 in 5.71s, and consistently at or under 5.8. Pretty wild for a big brick of a truck and totally unnecessary in daily use. It will only bring trouble. ?

Lol, i know the feeling. I will admit though, when you put your foot in, the 6.2 starts to really drink the gas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

I can't stand the noise a gas V6 or V8 makes and don't like the torque curve of naturally aspirated engines. I also commute 100 miles a day and tow roughly 200-250 miles every weekend and wanted something efficient. I had been holding out for a Diesel - it was taking too long, so I drove the 2.7 and was pleasantly surprised.

To each his own, and I agree about an un-muffled V-6, only thing worse is a rice burner with a fart can. Guess I'm just getting old, but I can't understand anyone that doesn't love the sound of a large displacement cammed V-8 with that lopey idle, the sound of those carbed engines at WOT was a rush. Although NA inline-6 cylinder engines are a rarity anymore, their torque came on early with no turbo lag. Nothing wrong with the old diesels, but the newer ones that require DEF and Diesel Particulate Filter technology have been problematic. Glad you're happy with your 2.7, you're the only one you have to please.

Really wanted a 6.2L.  But they are few and far between around here.  Dealer said I would have had to order one, put down a deposit, and pay close to sticker price.  The dealer and I were about $10K apart on that deal.  So it boiled down the the last 2 new fullsize crewcab 4WD trucks on the lot, one a GMC and one a Chevy.  Both with 5.3L's.  So I went with the 5.3 Chevy, as surprisingly, it had more options on it.  

A little different angle from the SUV side of things.

5.3 with the 3.42 rear end feels about 90% as good as the 6.2 which exclusively comes with a 3.23 rear end (STUPID). Non-trivial cost increase plus increased operating costs due to premium fuel. If I'd wanted the 6.2, I'd have gone for a Yukon Denali, which I did test drive and like, but they're nearly impossible to find with a tan interior on dealer lots (especially in my area) so I would have had to fly out to somewhere. Also didn't really want 22 inch wheels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garagerog said:

To each his own, and I agree about an un-muffled V-6, only thing worse is a rice burner with a fart can. Guess I'm just getting old, but I can't understand anyone that doesn't love the sound of a large displacement cammed V-8 with that lopey idle, the sound of those carbed engines at WOT was a rush. Although NA inline-6 cylinder engines are a rarity anymore, their torque came on early with no turbo lag. Nothing wrong with the old diesels, but the newer ones that require DEF and Diesel Particulate Filter technology have been problematic. Glad you're happy with your 2.7, you're the only one you have to please.

I can’t stand a damn fart can. 

A large displacement 4 cyl makes a unique noise all its own (I have the 2.7 in this, a 3.0 in the boat). Just a deep enough grumble not to be buzzy but not a coarse noise like a V6 or the rumble/roar of a V8. My Cruze is exceedingly quiet and sort of thrums along, and the Mercedes is about the same. (Although those are 1.4 and 1.8 liter turbos respectively). 

I love a good inline-6, but sadly they are so few and far between. 

Obviously by the list above, I’m a huge turbo guy (aside from the boat... that is), so that has a factor too. 

6 hours ago, truck_newbie said:

Before purchasing, I had my mind set on the 5.3 because I was mostly concerned about fuel economy. Figured the 5.3 had the best balance of power, smoothness and fuel economy. After quite a bit of research, the trend I was seeing was that the real world fuel economy for the 5.3 wasn’t significantly better than the 6.2. Maybe like 1 or 2 mpg. I test drove quite a few 5.3s and I found the power to be adequate for my needs but I was worried about the 8 speed transmission shudder issue some were reporting. I did have a valid reason to be concerned because I had a similar issue on my Cadillac CTS which also had an 8 speed. It was eventually fixed but took a long time to resolve.

So for me, I went with the 6.2 because of the 10-speed and badge on the side ?

Same here.  Did a proforma on the value of the 6.2 in the past and it always holds its value.

6 minutes ago, teyaroch said:

Same here.  Did a proforma on the value of the 6.2 in the past and it always holds its value.

Oh yeah, forgot about the depreciation aspect. That is a nice side benefit i suppose. Provided nothing catastrophic happens, I plan on keeping this truck for at least 5 years because i got the 5-year extended bumper to bumper. 

I was pleasantly surprised by the power of the 5.3. with the 8 sp.  Hell a few years back 355 hp would have been crazy...and the fuel mileage has been amazing.

That said,

If the 6.2 didn’t take premium fuel I probably would have gone that route just for the fun factor. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Limelight said:

I was pleasantly surprised by the power of the 5.3. with the 8 sp.  Hell a few years back 355 hp would have been crazy...and the fuel mileage has been amazing.

That said,

If the 6.2 didn’t take premium fuel I probably would have gone that route just for the fun factor. 

Ok. I almost didn't want to post this because I feel I will incite a heated debate on this thread. I've seen this mentioned multiple times here. The 6.2 does not require premium gas, it recommends it. Sure, you lose some power and a little gas mileage but you can run regular and the engine will be absolutely fine. I don't know how much power you lose or what gas mileage you get with regular. Maybe if someone has dinoed regular and premium with the 6.2, perhaps they can post some numbers and fuel economy differences too. 

Owned 5.3 since 99 and couldn’t be happier with them. I don’t NEED the power of the 6.2. I’d like it, but reality sets in that I don’t tow heavy loads, I’m not a lead foot and I don’t need to impress anyone. Granted the older 5.3 that I’ve had have had their respective issues, but it’s a great motor and performs excellent

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, truck_newbie said:

Ok. I almost didn't want to post this because I feel I will incite a heated debate on this thread. I've seen this mentioned multiple times here. The 6.2 does not require premium gas, it recommends it. Sure, you lose some power and a little gas mileage but you can run regular and the engine will be absolutely fine. I don't know how much power you lose or what gas mileage you get with regular. Maybe if someone has dinoed regular and premium with the 6.2, perhaps they can post some numbers and fuel economy differences too. 

I guess I should have clarified that too- when I purchased the truck, I thought it required the premium. The dealer informed me incorrectly. 

This forum taught me otherwise. :)

No replacement for displacement.  Went with the 6.2 and loving it.  Test drove a 5.3 and was nice but after I drove the 6.2 I was hooked.  After working the deal the difference in price between the 5.3 and 6.2 was minimal. 

• Like 1