73k - Blew a lifter today

Well, I was merging onto the highway this afternoon after work and felt a weird klunk-rattle. It was a new one on me.  It seemed to drive okay, had good oil pressure, and didn't set the CEL so at first I thought I'd hit something in the road.  But within a couple miles I could tell something was up.  Accelerating up hills from a coast it would stutter and sounded like a mallet was hitting the firewall.  I couldn't really hear anything specific in the cab.  I was only a few miles from the dealer, so I called them and luckily enough got my normal service advisor.  He's a decent guy.  Never tried to screw me.  I said I was coming in.  When I got off the interstate the truck didn't want to accelerate all and was making that pounding noise.   When I pulled into the dealership and hopped out, I could hear the lifter clacking.  He instantly recognized it.  I'd never heard one in person before, but it sounds like the right diagnosis to me.  

He said it should be covered by the 100k powertrain warranty.  I don't see why it wouldn't be, but I've never had warranty claim with Chevy before.  So, we'll see I guess.  The bad news is that he said worst case is 1 month to get the truck back.  I choked.  I let him know I have a camping trip in about 3 weeks, but that didn't seem to sway anything.  He said he'll know more on Monday.  

So, that's how I spent my evening.  

• Sad 2

Yes, inquiring minds would like to know... The real question is, does turning the afm off save your motor from exploding or not. Or do these motors grenade before 100k because they're junk.  Are they as bulletproof as the LS1? or did GM cut corners to the point where you can't get  long life out of them. At least that's what comes to mind when I hear this.

Really, I hope they take care of you; and you have a good story when it's all over. 

• Like 1

I’m running a tune with mine turned off but the Strangest thing, I’ve met so many folks with K2’s and not one has ever mentioned issues with their AFM, you’ll only hear about it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Gen V motors are even more enduring than their predecessors.  The lifter that blew might not even be an AFM de-ac lifter.  The latest design de-ac lifters are way more reliable than those used in the Gen IV motors but everything man made can and will fail at some point.

• Like 3

Not running a range, exhaust, nor tune. Motor is stock. I have an aem dry filter and the airaid MIT.

Not sure why it happened, but the service writer instantly recognized it. I think he said he thinks it's number 6. Not sure if it's one of the AFM ones or not.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 4:38 AM, papageoff said:

Not running a range, exhaust, nor tune. Motor is stock. I have an aem dry filter and the airaid MIT.

Not sure why it happened, but the service writer instantly recognized it. I think he said he thinks it's number 6. Not sure if it's one of the AFM ones or not.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

hopefully chevy doesn't **** you on having an intake...

• Like 1