Pads and Rotors

1 hour ago, fatkid24 said:

This will show my ignorance, but where can I locate the factory part numbers for the brakes? And do the clips come with the pads or is that a delegate per number as well?
Thanks again for the help!

Go to rockauto.com and you can look them up as well as buy from them.  Or just get the part #'s and then compare to others around the web, Amazon, eBay, 1A Auto, etc. for the best price.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kubs said:

I tow with my truck every now and then and I just swapped out the OE stuff (not worn out at all) at 20K miles for Hawk LTS pads on new Centric Premium rotors.  Initial impressions are positive, but I will see how they do towing, and after a couple miles before giving my opinion.  I was told by the Hawk rep that the LTS provide increased torque and fade resistance over OE but are still friendly enough for a DD and they are supposed to be low dust also.

When I upgraded my 442 to dual piston front calipers and larger rotors 5 years ago, I put on hawk pads. That car now stops better than my old E46! I can’t speak anything about longevity because I’ve only put 5-7k miles on it in that time, but the performance is awesome. Not bad on dust either. 

• Like 1

So here is my take.  After only a 1K miles or so the Hawk pads are different, but not super noticeable in day to day driving.  When bedding them and they were warm, both peak torque and initial bite were much better than the OE stuff.  However, in the morning when they are back to ambient temps they do not feel much different than OE.  The pedal feels a bit more solid, so that tells me that dont need as much pressure to work like the OE pad, but they need some heat to get the better feel.  While towing the car trailer I notice the truck stops quicker as they heat up (imagine a panic stop on the highway).  As the brakes build up heat the rate of decel during the stop increases.  I have not put enough miles on them to comment on dust or wear.

Overall, if you are putting them on for a noticeable feel they are probably not worth the money.  For a DD that sees some time towing heavier loads (car trailer, travel trailer, etc.) they are beneficial.  I can see them really shining towing through hills or winding mountain roads where you are more frequently using the brakes.  My tow this past weekend was all highway.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 2:17 PM, davester said:

From another forum I visit (dieselplace), some people there think that the original pads last a really long time (like 150+K), but the replacement OEM pads only seemed go maybe 1/2 that....they were using GMT800 trucks IIRC...

I used to frequent

thedieselplace.com when I ran diesels.

It's true . I actually got almost 200,000 miles on the original pads and rotors on my 2003 2500 HD Duramax. Lot of hwy miles though.

The Allison transmission is the reason .

The truck will almost stop itself when you let up on it.

If you can't get at least 100,000 miles out of your brakes you either are riding the brake pedal or you go from speed to full braking without coasting.

Coasting is the key if you ask me.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 3:17 PM, davester said:

From another forum I visit (dieselplace), some people there think that the original pads last a really long time (like 150+K), but the replacement OEM pads only seemed go maybe 1/2 that....they were using GMT800 trucks IIRC...

This has been my experience.  My dad just traded in his 2006 2500 crew cab with 150,000 miles on it and he never touched the pads or rotors..

• Like 1

Doing pads and rotors on my 17 now. 64k. Pads had 50 percent left but rotors were grooved from the pads and severe pulsating when driving. 

Went with AC Delco severe duty stuff from RA. 

Rotors are coated and have subtle grooves in them. Pads will be delivered Friday. 

• Like 1

Had luck with my 04 with OE pads front and rear and Powerstop drilled & slotted rotors. Overkill for daily driving - but eliminated the brake fade I was having with a trailer hooked up and could stop on a dime.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 3:17 PM, davester said:

Certain OE brands (such as GM) actually have two levels of pads. The pads that the cars/trucks come with from the plant are ridiculously expensive so you usually aren't even offered those as an option compared to the usually stocked cheaper still GM made sets. So yes, sometimes if not most you will see a difference in life of the pads with replacement even going with OE.

• Like 1

try the police pads, they are more aggressive, someone already posted the part numbers on the forum.

the OEM rotors are far superior to the centric stuff. they are specially treated and have a hardness layer deeper than the aftermarket can produce. i believe GM treats the rotors for 8 hour in a special furnace for xtra deep harndess penetration, Chinese rotors are no match to OE

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

you could be right, i'll try and find the part numbers someone posted up, but they have a varying pad selection for agressive friction compounds

I really want to modify the proportioning valve as this is really holding back on the trucks breaking distances, they are just using the front brakes too much and its not balanced.

if your not bothered by noise and dust , the Green EBC pads are fade free and extremely grippy

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 7:17 AM, rbrjr1 said:

Am I missing something?

I was under the impression that the police version rotors were at least an inch wider diameter than "civilian" models..

also to note the police SUV utillizes a 17" steel rim , i'm not aware of Police SUV's running 20" or 18" wheels

post number 10 

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/226089-towing-brake-upgrade-for-1500/?do=findComment&comment=2280691

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

I tried NAPA Adaptive One pads on my 2015 Silverado Z71 and they put out a lot of dust on my wheels. I took them back to NAPA.  I now have Akebono Proact ceramic pads. No dust, quiet, smooth. Akebono is an oem GM supplier made in the USA. The Adaptive Ones were made in China.  (The Adaptive Ones on my Buick Lucerne have not had a dust issue)

• Like 1

My front rotors warped at 28,000 miles, dealership turned them under warranty and it helped the shaking till 38,000 and I was out of warranty. I replaced the front rotors and pads at 45,000 with the Powerstop z36 drilled And slotted rotors with their ceramic pads. No dust! No fade! Best upgrade I've ever did! $204 for the entire kit! Well worth it! I've not touched the back and I'm at 62,000 miles. When changing the pads, make sure to use the high temp brake lube on all the moving parts (pins, metal pad slides, etc). Also, inspect the rubber boots that cover the pins and if they are damaged, replace them. They come in a brake hardware kit you can get at any parts store.

• Like 1

This has been my experience.  My dad just traded in his 2006 2500 crew cab with 150,000 miles on it and he never touched the pads or rotors..
Never needed pads on my GMT800 2005 Tahoe either. 200k. Factory brakes. No pulsing, nothing. Pads still had half thickness!

On my K2s?

Make a long brake on an off-ramp in the rain and you can expect a warp.

Metallurgy. That's what it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 1