cams and tires and wheels oh my

Don't get me wrong,  I think its great that many of you can buy a new truck for $40,000 plus and within a month or two drop another few thousand dollars into it with cams, lift kits, tires and wheels, stereos, etc, etc, etc,  I just don't understand how ya'll can afford it,  or in some cases, why you even want to do it.  I guess I need a better paying job, that or you're all single?

Heck,  maybe I'm just a little jealous or something,  I just feel fortunate to make the payments every month...

• Like 1

I think some off-road companies offer financing so that makes it easier. I was considering getting a 4" BDS lift on mine but went to Atlanta today and had to park in one of the decks. I barely clear the signs and stuff inside the parking deck as it is now. They look really good lifted but it would make finding parking a much bigger challenge.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I think a lot of this is social pressure to keep up with the Jonses. That or “little man syndrome” with a need for a big dumbass truck with all the crap mounted to it. People get in debt and stay in debt their entire life while throwing money away at depreciating consumer junk. 

Edited by RE1
  • Like 2

You don’t see it as much on this forum as you do on some of the Facebook groups. Many guys buy the stuff outright and good on them, but I swear some days it’s a battle of who can over-extend themselves the most. Put $0 down on a truck, drive away upside down and sink a bunch more into it. Then when the new model comes out, get killed on your trade and roll the old debt into new.

Worst thing you can do is look at any of it with envy, because a lot of people get into deep financial doo-doo for the illusion.

I’m lucky because even though I could probably afford some sweet mods?, I don’t really care for a heavily altered truck anyway. I like the warranty, reliability, and factory look. I have other toys that I don’t rely on for work to tinker with if I feel the need.

Edited by OnTheReel
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, wizard4878 said:

Don't get me wrong,  I think its great that many of you can buy a new truck for $40,000 plus and within a month or two drop another few thousand dollars into it with cams, lift kits, tires and wheels, stereos, etc, etc, etc,  I just don't understand how ya'll can afford it,  or in some cases, why you even want to do it.  I guess I need a better paying job, that or you're all single?

Heck,  maybe I'm just a little jealous or something,  I just feel fortunate to make the payments every month...

It's the American Way! Lol. 

15 hours ago, dw91 said:

Considering there’s no tuning available for them yet I’m a bit skeptical.

well I can't prove that someone did or didn't make it work,  I just read what was written.  Besides,  I think your missing the point of my original post

some choose to travel the world, some like a nicer home, some like to tinker with their autos. It's not so much a matter or money, although that is a good first start. It's a matter of priorities. I for one no longer do anything to aggressive as most modern autos are pretty well equipped with what I want. But I can't help but tinker. If even just to stand out a little from the rest of the silverados all over the roads. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wizard4878 said:

well I can't prove that someone did or didn't make it work,  I just read what was written.  Besides,  I think your missing the point of my original post

No I got it, I just don’t worry about that kind of thing. Some people have huge mortgages, some people can only dream of having a mortgage. Roll with what you’ve got and appreciate what you’ve worked for.