Is this normal for a standard air filter?

24 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

This is just like the motor oil debate.

:)

Oh and about a dozen other debates....:banghead:

The problem with such debates is ALWAYS context. We can measure and test and examine a thing well enough to have an exact knowledge of its workings and capabilities. What we can't know is the context of the measurement, the test or the examination. And then we don't know the context of the user or his requirements nor his situation and application. In the end what we know is what someone wants us to know. Has nothing to do with the truth of anything. That's just the world we live in.

We are forced to rely on our experience which is only good within our context and if we happen to be wrong acquiring that experience...too late. Is THAT the truth? I suppose, in a relative sense and in that context but will it be useful to another. Or will it just insight more heated argument? 

It might not be showing in my word yet but my thinking is becoming increasingly reserved, guarded, cautious. Hopefully my words and actions will follow....or not....:lol:

Most vehicles in a salvage yard come in still being able to run. They usually become too expensive to pass emissions. Or something other than not running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

This was the test I was actually looking for when I posted the previous link. Thanks! 

All said and done I'll continue to use the AC Delco OEM filters and change on about 25K OCI. 

Me too!

I've used K&N since the early 80's in everything from cars, trucks, ATV's and motorcycles. I keep most of my vehicles a very long time. Never had a problem. Even lived in the boonies for several years on a dirt road that was like talcum powder. I put almost 300k miles on that truck before I sold it so I guess it was able to handle the "premature wear" some people claim they cause. 

It would seem to me if they are as bad as what people claim, it would void your warranty just buying one. They have been around 50 years so I would think there would be plenty of cases of ruined engines.

They stand behind their products. If anyone is truly interested in knowing more:

https://www.knfilters.com/autodealer.htm

I did a dealer search in my area to see what comes up. Several car and motorcycle dealer sell them just in this area. I didn't scroll through the whole list but there was at lease one Chevy dealer too. They might even include it in your bumper to bumper warranty if they install it.

7 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Most vehicles in a salvage yard come in still being able to run. They usually become too expensive to pass emissions. Or something other than not running.

So worn out.  

:crackup:

5 hours ago, typ0 said:

I've used K&N since the early 80's in everything from cars, trucks, ATV's and motorcycles. I keep most of my vehicles a very long time. Never had a problem. Even lived in the boonies for several years on a dirt road that was like talcum powder. I put almost 300k miles on that truck before I sold it so I guess it was able to handle the "premature wear" some people claim they cause. 

I've used them allot and no, never had an issue. 300K is as long as I've persnonally owned one. It used a quart in 300. Needed a plug change once a month but drove like a dream and would do 90 mph all day long at over 30 mpg. That out of the way......This is one of those "context" things I was talking about. 

There are A FEW motors that run fine all the way to the graveyard with 300K on the clock. No doubt, you just said so AND I've experienced it as well. Two motors CAN do this.

Motor #1 is running but uses a quart in 500 miles and down 15# oil pressure running down the road. Has a measured leak down of 20% and cylinders are close but not equal and and a dollar bill on the tail pipe with occationly snap back. If you change plugs often enough and treat her well, you might squeeze another 50K out of her. 

Motor #2 uses no oil, is under 5% leak down. Holds new oil pressure. Equal and factory spec compression. Cylinder balance is perfect and PCV volumes at idle still under 5 cfm. You might have a million mile motor on your hands. 

If I open motor 1 it is black and caked. Motor two looks spanky new inside. 

Two different context. Then there is this; 1.) it has a perfect motor but the body and frame are total waste so what does it matter. 2.) your that fella that cares not what owner #2 steps into and don't give a hoot about your personal reputation. 3.) Your just like tossing money down a rathole and trade every 50K or warrant limit whichever comes first. 4.) A deer jumps you 5.) Fella backs his dump truck over you....#6 #7 #8......for whatever reason it is one of the MAJORITY of motors that don't make is half the distance so.....it doesn't matter what could be....UNLESS IT DOES. 

I'm always hopeful....

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 12:23 PM, rbrjr1 said:

CO is not an issue on a vehicle with a catalytic converter, assuming there isn't an exhaust leak upstream of the converter.

I will agree It is far less common than CO2, Do you  realize many diesel trucks drive around with zero emissions, especially going down of highways & in large city's with loads of stop and go traffic? Most folks around here remove emission equipment to improve power and fuel economy, dont even get me started on DEF. Not even including older Semi's & construction equipment here in the citys. Then you have all the performance gas cars that remove them for performance gains, higher power guys they would blow them to pieces. Lastly cats fail all the time, loads of customers wouldn't replace them either until it came to inspection time. I replaced so many factory cats as tech... the OE's wouldn't even take them back for shipping costs, I used to sale them for extra money, and make even more money cleaning out all the pieces down stream wither CP or warranty, time is money.  

Edited by camcamaro1991

just so we can absolutely slam the door on this topic.

GM part # 84533096

is their Cold air intake performance upgrade for the 5.3L engine.

it contains a "K&N TYPE" oiled linen air filter.

it does NOT void the warranty on their engines.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 3:54 PM, Bob2C said:

I have always used K&N filters in my cars over the years. Never had a problem. I usually clean them around 40k miles and re-oil. No issues with with sensors in all my years. The key is not to put too much oil.

Exactly, but too many idiots out there don't know how to do it right and blame K&N instead of their own stupidity. 

Exactly, but too many idiots out there don't know how to do it right and blame K&N instead of their own stupidity. 

It’s not about the cleaning and re-oiling it’s about the filter “Not filtering enough contaminants” which down the road is a 50/50 chance of damaging your engine. I’ve always run K&N filters in all my vehicles, never had any issues but then, I never kept them long enough to notice an issue. One thing we can all agree on is that we’re ALL in the same boat, trying to do what’s right without damaging our engines in the process but 20 years ago, don’t think anyone ever heard of these type of tests. The same engines that ran 300K miles with performance filters may have run the same with OE filters, who knows. In the end of the day, I’m sure everyone just wants to get the most out of their engine without damaging it.

Seems that performance filters are always pushing the positive performance gains while paper filters are pushing dirt capturing efficiency. It’s a toss up. Changing your engine oil regularly along with high end oil and oil filter as well as added fuel cleaners and conditioners is a great way to counter the possibilities of the negative environmental affects. I appreciate everyone’s input and may have never had any negative effects due to the frequent high end oil changes but I’m going to keep an eye on my air intake hose, opening it up and wiping it down to see if any dirt is accumulating and if so I’ll immediately break it down, clean it and switch to the best paper filter available.

Good luck to everyone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

It’s not about the cleaning and re-oiling it’s about the filter “Not filtering enough contaminants” which down the road is a 50/50 chance of damaging your engine. I’ve always run K&N filters in all my vehicles, never had any issues but then, I never kept them long enough to notice an issue. One thing we can all agree on is that we’re ALL in the same boat, trying to do what’s right without damaging our engines in the process but 20 years ago, don’t think anyone ever heard of these type of tests. The same engines that ran 300K miles with performance filters may have run the same with OE filters, who knows. In the end of the day, I’m sure everyone just wants to get the most out of their engine without damaging it.

Seems that performance filters are always pushing the positive performance gains while paper filters are pushing dirt capturing efficiency. It’s a toss up. Changing your engine oil regularly along with high end oil and oil filter as well as added fuel cleaners and conditioners is a great way to counter the possibilities of the negative environmental affects. I appreciate everyone’s input and may have never had any negative effects due to the frequent high end oil changes but I’m going to keep an eye on my air intake hose, opening it up and wiping it down to see if any dirt is accumulating and if so I’ll immediately break it down, clean it and switch to the best paper filter available.

Good luck to everyone!

As in my first post on this topic. It's called and air FILTER

Well thought out and written TXGREEK. 

• Like 2

Just swapped the new K&N out for the Wix. I’m not taking any chances, besides, I can buy 3 at the cost of the K&N and not have any worries of damaging my engine.

d399e63ffa4295b7696e810670f34446.jpg

Good luck to everyone!

• Like 3