Adios Sierra Denali

shadowmn

Well I finally had enough of my 2017 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate and its never ending transmission issues.  I traded it in over the weekend for a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited.  I gave the GMC at least 5 tries to fix my truck and they couldn't solve it.  It was a pain in my butt since day one.  The Ram's 8-speed shifting is flawless which completely boggles my mind how GM botched their 8 speed.  If any of you guys are having the same issues I had, just get rid of it and get a Ram.  Trust me when I tell you that this is how a truck should drive.  Good luck everyone with your Chevy and GMC trucks.  I'm a Chevy guy and will always be, but for now I had to go to another brand.  

• Like 3

I've had three Hemi Rams, 2004,2016, and a 2018 and all of those trucks were all around better driving trucks than my 2017 Silverado, had my Dad had a Ram when he passed away I'd still be driving one. I don't have any problems with mine but I put a level on it and bigger tires just to get the same look, put a tuner on it just to make it run more like the Ram and shift better. I like the truck and really miss my Dad but it's not in the same class as the Ram.

• Like 3

As a current GM owner who is cross shopping all the brands for my next truck, I would like to ask a couple of questions.....

Was your Denali a 5.3L or a 6.2L? 

Excluding the transmission performance, how does the Ram 5.7L feel and drive in comparison to the Denali?

Thanks for any input. 

Edited by RE1

Sorry to hear about your problems with your truck. When I was shopping around for the last two years I was really confused and undecided.  I work for the local road authority (non highway) and only trucks in our fleet light duty are Rams and F150’s. They are basic trucks Rams sxt mostly 6 cylinder, 1 hemi, and 1 eco diesel.  I must say the Eco diesel is my favourite of all of them.  The six bangers  

have been nothing but trouble since day one, electrical, fit and finish, etc.

The Fords have very high mileage as they get slot of usage.  3.5 eco boosts also many problems, truck shutting down out of nowhere, not speaking about auto/start shutoff.  So they went with a new 2018 5.0 coyote motor, I’ve never seen so much oil consumption in the first three months.  Had to add a quart pretty much every 1,000 miles.

so I ended up getting a 2018 new left over Sierra Denali Ultimate with the 6.2.  It’s still early barely 2,000 miles but I’m very happy with the truck.  I may be eating my words in a year, who knows.  I know the new Ram is a gorgeous looking truck, see them in herds daily.  I’m not so sure about the really spaceship dash layout.  I honestly don’t need that, my Sierra is more than illl ever need.   Never really like the ford interior, layout reminds of a cube van dash.

as for the dial shifter on the Ram, it belongs on a toaster oven not a truck.

Good luck with your new truck,  Sorry for the long post ...

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, RE1 said:

No need for that, man. There’s no denying that GM trucks have had more than their fair share of problems.  

No need for what??  Since when has telling someone bye become a bad thing?

what there is no need for is the cliche the OP is committing by leaving one brand for another then dogging said brand and recommending others ditch said brand.  That my friend is what there is no need for. 

So with that I say Bye.  No point in starting a thread in a GM forum just to trash GM trucks and go on about how Rams are better. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RE1 said:

As a current GM owner who is cross shopping all the brands for my next truck, I would like to ask a couple of questions.....

Was your Denali a 5.3L or a 6.2L? 

Excluding the transmission performance, how does the Ram 5.7L feel and drive in comparison to the Denali?

Thanks for any input. 

My Silverado is an LTZ with the 5.3 and 6spd, extra cab 6ft bed 3.08 gears 4x4, my Rams were all Quad cabs 6ft beds and Hemis 8spd 3.21 gears 4x4, I inherited my Silverado and have had no problems with it so far but if I had my choice and didn't keep my Dad's truck for sentimental value I would still have the Ram, throttle response is crisp and smooth, steering is precise, shifting was flawless, it was like it knew what I wanted to do and reacted to it. The ride was solid and quiet. I've always been GM all my life til I bought first 2004 Ram, I still love Chevy's but when you've driven both many miles it's hard to deny what feels better. I've made improvements to driving feel with a tuner but it's still not as good as the Ram stock. Now I wouldn't give up my C4 Vette for anything. 

Edited by Kincer

I will certainly be shopping RAM for my next truck but, I have a hard time trusting their reliability.. I drive about 30k miles a year so reliability is king in my book... I was behind a RAM 1500 Laramie today and that thing looked slick.