Why my freshly changed oil turns black?

Greetings to all.
I have a 2015 Silverado LS 4.3 V6 with 29K miles. I have changed engine oil every 5K miles. Do not follow the "Oil Life" Indicator/Monitor. Always have changed oil within 5K miles.
Here is my issue. Fresh new oil turns black almost immediately after I changed. It is driving me crazy!!
Does anyone has a suggestion why this happen or better yet, how to prevented it?
Thanks in advance for any comment.

Louis

IMO

The oil is getting black due to removing deposits in the engine.

I'm assuming you always change the oil filter every 5 K miles.

What oil and filter?

Change brands?

I buy used vehicles and always do 3 1 K mile oil and filter changes right after purchase to clean out the motor.

My oil darkens after 1500 - 2 K miles.

:)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nycrdknglouis said:

Greetings to all.
I have a 2015 Silverado LS 4.3 V6 with 29K miles. I have changed engine oil every 5K miles. Do not follow the "Oil Life" Indicator/Monitor. Always have changed oil within 5K miles.
Here is my issue. Fresh new oil turns black almost immediately after I changed. It is driving me crazy!!
Does anyone has a suggestion why this happen or better yet, how to prevented it?
Thanks in advance for any comment.

Louis

For sure not normal imo, depending on what brand oil and filter you might want to switch it up, don't be the i buy the cheapest crap i can find guy or there is your problem more than likely right there. These direct injected motors get filthy on the inside even with a ocd type person, so using cheap product is not recommended imo.

Thanks for the quick comments. 

My wife has an Acura MDX with 50K miles and her vehicle is service and oil change with OEM Honda oil. The oil in her truck is clean. Mine, it is not. Attaching picture of side by side "oil stick" The one on the right and skinnier and shorter in the picture is mine. Also, I am attaching pictures of the engine oil cap for my truck with oil type requirement and the container of the oil I use to service my truck. 

Please feel free to add more comments and suggestions. 

2 DEXOS 5W-30.jpg

Engine Oil Cap with oil type specs 9-26-2019.jpg

Silverado and Acura oil stick 9-26-2019 2.jpg

Silverado and Acura oil stick 9-26-2019.jpg

Does not smell like fuel. Smells like burnt oil.

I do not drive long distances. Maybe 3 to 6 miles per day and during some weekends, maybe 20 to 30. I have motorcycles so weather permitting; I run my errand riding my bikes.

I use Sync DEXOS 5-30 Mobil. Change filters when I change oil. I use WIX filters.

The color of the oil looks normal.  Mine looks like that as well even at 15k miles on the oil.  

The only thing is the short trips are not great but you are using a synthetic oil and changing it out at 5k along with a good filter so no worries.  It isn't going to be the same color as what you pour in.  

Remember oil turning dark is an indication it is doing it's job and keeping the contaminates in suspension, which is what you want.  

I wouldn't worry at all. 

Edited by Black02Silverado
grammer
  • Like 4

I used to use Pennzoil dino oil and AC Delco PF48 filters.  The oil got dirty (a lot more dirty than yours) quickly compared to other vehicles in my past, with the exception of my 96 Impala SS--that car inexplicably always got black oil within a month of a change with Mobil1 oil and oil filter.  

Now I use Shell Rotella Gas Truck synthetic oil and Wix oil filters (same as NAPA Gold or Platinum).  This has cleaned out the system and the oil stays really clean much longer, almost all the way through a ~5K oil change, even with a lot of idling hours.  

How many engine hours do you have between changes?

Edited by MaverickZ71

https://blog.amsoil.com/why-does-motor-oil-turn-black/

Oil color is not an indicator of how well it’s doing it’s job.  Seems to be engine and oil specific how quickly it changes color.  GDI engines are also known to produce more soot particles which darken oil.

Case in point: my old 4.0L Wrangler engine’s oil would turn extremely black after less than 2000 miles; never had any engine issues after 100k miles.  My Toyota 3.5L engine’s oil after 7500 miles still a dark brown color; 125k miles no issues.

wow!

Lots of good info. Thank you to all.

I think I will change oil brand. Same specs but different brand.

I am wondering what your thoughts are about "flushing with detergent" current oil right before next oil change.

I have never pay any attention to the engine hours in between oil changes. That's a bit of info I will keep track from now on. Although I do not stay idling for too long at all at any giving time, still, I think is a very good info to keep records of between oil changes.

12 minutes ago, nycrdknglouis said:

wow!

Lots of good info. Thank you to all.

I think I will change oil brand. Same specs but different brand.

I am wondering what your thoughts are about "flushing with detergent" current oil right before next oil change.

I have never pay any attention to the engine hours in between oil changes. That's a bit of info I will keep track from now on. Although I do not stay idling for too long at all at any giving time, still, I think is a very good info to keep records of between oil changes.

No flushes.  Don't ever flush.

Go and drive it, get it hot, do some WOT runs.