Bought 14’ Sierra and Noticing odd shutter

Hey guys, new to this forum. Recently purchased one of the dream trucks of mine, 2014 Sierra Z71 4x4 5.3l. Which I was finally able to afford lol, bought from a local dealer with 88k miles. 

Prior to purchasing I test drove it, checked the history and maintenance records from GMC. All seemed well, purchased it and few days later while driving home on the highway cruising about 60-70mph, I began noticing a really loud sudden vibration that would come and go every few minutes (feels like it’s coming from underneath the truck not sure), lasting about 5 seconds. Even around 20-30mph I notice some shaking. Seems to be shifting fine, drives pretty smooth other than these vibrations that are coming and going. I just don’t know what it could be. I didn’t notice it during the test drive, just my luck, hoping for the best. Any opinions are greatly appreciated, I attached a video as well of the sound. 

Probably should of mentioned, I have gotten the wheels balanced from discount tire earlier. Also I feel like if it were a misfire at least a check engine light would be on or it would at least be a more consistent shake correct me if I’m wrong.

It’s just quick sudden jolts of loud vibration while cruising on the highway around 50-60mph. Idles smooth with no issues when stopped. But I can get it on a computer from a local mechanic to find out of any codes.

Reading a lot of common things involving the drive shaft or rear axle, not sure if that’s the case here. 

Edited by Mack1994

Unfortunately, you might be out of luck. My transmission did the same thing at highway speeds where it kind of shutters. Turns out 4th, 5th, and 6th were cooked. I have a 2014 silverado and it had about 73K on it. I was the second owner since 38K miles. It happened last April and I was just 4 months out of warranty because the first owner bought it December 2013:/. But chevy helped me out a little and instead of 5,000 to get a new transmission they knocked it down to about 3,500 because it was just out of warranty and there has been a lot of chevys in my family over the years. Its basically a rebuilt transmission from the factory. 

To rule out major transmission failure I would check the fluid. Color, level and smell. If it's brown and smells like friction material(overheated brakes) you might have to stop at a trans shop. Problem is GM has done a horrible job building these trucks, especially when it comes to vibrations and driveline clunks. My truck has an intermittent driveline vibration and the occasional clunk, but after reading numerous threads in a couple forums I've decided to just deal with it.

Believe me I know how you feel I just bought my dream truck 5 months ago and let's just say it's been no honeymoon. Lifter failure a few weeks ago then injector failure last week all with only 70k on it.

I would start with taking to a reputable shop so they can test drive it and point you in the right direction. A good mechanic should be able to narrow it down for you with a test drive. Good luck and I hope it's something simple.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Hey Guys, I’m new here as well. I just bought a 2014 Sierra Denali 1500 with about 98,000 on it the beginning of September. It’s been driving great and still is for the most part, but as of about 2 weeks ago mine started to shudder too. It seems to happen at any constant speed now with minimal load and mild throttle input. The dealership I bought it from has a lifetime powertrain warranty supposedly so

im gonna call them in the next day or two. Im finding out this has been an ongoing issue with these trannys and I haven’t found out if they actually have a fix for it yet. I’ve pulled the dipstick to the Tranny while it’s warm and it’s a little brownish colored, but I didn’t notice the hot brake smell at all. Does anyone else know of any factory corrections for this?

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased a 2014 Silverado Crew Cab LT.  Soon after purchasing it I noticed what I thought felt like a driveling vibration at certain speeds.  Then I discovered that it was engine going into V4 mode.  It's not severe, but it is noticeable.  Just a thought to another new owner.