Truck Bros, school me on the need for a catch can.

I run UPR "quick connect" catch cans.  They can be installed/uninstalled in under 5 minutes.  Any time I took my truck in to the dealer, I removed it.  Leaves no trace.  I didn't want to add an extra variable to the dealer's arsenal in the "warranty denial" war.  To heck with that!

Was the dealer able to prove the AFM locked up on two cylinders due to a catch can?  Most likely not. The AFM locking up was probably the well-known collapsed lifter issue that had zilch to do with the catch can.

With all the lawsuits hitting GM and recent transmission class action lawsuits I wouldn’t hold it pass them, they’re just looking for a reason to deny in order to save.

Sent from Above

21 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I’ve read a huge amount and agree that something needs to be done but not worth the risk of voiding my 100K warranty especially since NO ONE has actually posted same motor from start to finish of with and without. I’d be on the Catch Can wagon too if it wasn’t for all the above and adding the possible issues that may be added using a catch can.

Sent from Above

You can leave it on and the PCV system is still a closed system, fully in compliance with EPA emission requirements.  Nothing has been changed except a filtration unit placed in the PCV line.  Since there is no violation of the EPA requirements, there is no basis to void a warranty. And the Federal Trade Commission regulations allow a consumer to use non OEM components on a vehicle and engine as long as the designed function is not altered or negatively effected.   So again, no basis for a warranty denial using an air / oil separator unit on a PCV line.

But for one who has some sort of reservation about having one on when it comes to taking to the dealer, then take it off!    I can have the air / oil separator off of my PCV line and returned to a stock configuration in a few minutes with only a screwdriver if I needed to do so.   After being at the dealer, just a couple of minutes and it can be back to full functionality. 

Next, there has not been any documented evidence of a warranty being denied because of using one of these that I have read anywhere.  Only individual fears that it could be denied.   I had one on my 2006 Cadillac CTS, my previous 2013 1500, my current 2015 2500, and on the clean side PCV of my wife's 2017 Equinox.  They have all been to the dealer for something and it has never been questioned.  In fact, the techs have commented that it is a good thing to do. Both the 2500 and the Equinox are still in warranty.

Edited by Cowpie

17 hours ago, lapoolboy said:

I run UPR "quick connect" catch cans.  They can be installed/uninstalled in under 5 minutes.  Any time I took my truck in to the dealer, I removed it.  Leaves no trace.  I didn't want to add an extra variable to the dealer's arsenal in the "warranty denial" war.  To heck with that!

Was the dealer able to prove the AFM locked up on two cylinders due to a catch can?  Most likely not.  The AFM locking up was probably the well-known collapsed lifter issue that had zilch to do with the catch can.

I’m very highly extremely scriptable of voided warranty claims.

Entire power train?

Lol no.

59 minutes ago, Cowpie said:

You can leave it on and the PCV system is still a closed system, fully in compliance with EPA emission requirements.  Nothing has been changed except a filtration unit placed in the PCV line.  Since there is no violation of the EPA requirements, there is no basis to void a warranty. And the Federal Trade Commission regulations allow a consumer to use non OEM components on a vehicle and engine as long as the designed function is not altered or negatively effected.   So again, no basis for a warranty denial using an air / oil separator unit on a PCV line.

But for one who has some sort of reservation about having one on when it comes to taking to the dealer, then take it off!    I can have the air / oil separator off of my PCV line and returned to a stock configuration in a few minutes with only a screwdriver if I needed to do so.   After being at the dealer, just a couple of minutes and it can be back to full functionality. 

Next, there has not been any documented evidence of a warranty being denied because of using one of these that I have read anywhere.  Only individual fears that it could be denied.   I had one on my 2006 Cadillac CTS, my previous 2013 1500, my current 2015 2500, and on the clean side PCV of my wife's 2017 Equinox.  They have all been to the dealer for something and it has never been questioned.  In fact, the techs have commented that it is a good thing to do. Both the 2500 and the Equinox are still in warranty.

A whole lot of people on these boards seem susceptible to FUD.

Fear

Uncertainty

and Doubt.

But hey, the internet is free to post on and their is no consequences to posting bad information.

FWIW, on L5P : 

Venturi Jet Drain Oil Separator
• First of its type in the new Duramax 6.6L
• Designed to ensure oil control in sustained full-load operation
• Totally sealed system that collects misted oil entrained in the blow-by gas, allowing
for re-use in the engine
• Less sophisticated systems result in oil carryover into the cylinders during combustion

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Not trying to necromance the older thread here, but rather than have 40 different threads on a single issue (like the exhaust threads) I'd put my reply to an applicable existing thread. 

I've read everyone's posts in this thread. And I'll put another tack on the information board supporting that everyone has their opinion about CC's. At this point, it's simply that. I've used catch cans, and continue to use them, on LS style engines since new before and I have found that they do help remove oil out of the oil vapor PCV system that would otherwise end up inside the intake and engine. Sure as sh*t it would. Where else would it go? No gasoline engine manufacturer to my knowledge designed an engine to run on oil. I get hardly any oil out of them, and have inspected  the intake floors for oil and there is none. So it's working properly via borescope inspection through the throttle body.  It's not hard to do. Just a few minutes to check on a 5th gen Camaro. I would imagine DI engines would be more susceptible to oil buildup on the back side of the intake valves due to not having a fuel wash, but I only speculate since I've never inspected those types. 

To the general motoring public, how much does that matter to them? Everyone has made good points on the cons of having a factory-installed system if they put them in. And sure, a typical grandma would never pop the hood on the car to check it. So from the factory, it likely would become a service nightmare.

But in general, it's tough to prove that it does "save" an engine in the long run. Common sense and understanding of the system tells you that oil in the intake isn't a great idea. Would you spray it in there if the PCV system vented to atmosphere? No. So there's nobody that will vote yes to add oil to their intake if it wasn't getting any to begin with.

That leaves us with FAITH. Faith that although you cannot prove it saves your engine from future damage, there's no proof that a properly functioning CC is detrimental to your engine, either. Not one time have I ever seen or heard of a grenaded engine with autopsy results stating cause of death as "Oil Catch Can Installed in PCV system". As far as warranty issues, I think that's the big scare for a lot of folks. Once GM deems you unworthy of a powertrain warranty, your toast. Best advice is to ASK your service department about this first before you put in a catch can, or as mentioned, make it where you can quickly disconnect it and configure it back to the factory setup. While you can argue the warranty coverage and likely be correct, if they say no, you have no warranty coverage. Too easy for them. Costly in time and money for courts to prove you are right. 

So while there's no proof it is a Savior, there's also no proof it's a bad thing if you choose to run one. But just like getting a new pet, you have to promise to clean up after it (periodic draining). It stands to reason if you keep out oil in the engine's "lungs" you have less issues due to oil build up. Nothing changes as far as the PCV system. Except where the oil ends up. Would people who vape with those bad vape cartridges that oil up their lungs do well with an oil catch can? Probably.

Is a catch can needed? Define "needed" to yourself and you'll have your answer. I think the answer is no, but it's also cheap enough to know you're doing what you can to minimize oil ingestion. Just my opinion.

31 minutes ago, 2020SierraDenali said:

Just my opinion.

Here's another.

For oil to get into the inlet it has to leave the crankcase.

1.) If your motor uses a visible/measurable amount of oil between reasonable oil change lengths a CC isn't a bad idea. If it uses none.....the point is?

2.) Even if it does use a bit of oil are you sure it is exiting via the PCV system? Motors use oil past rings, past valve seals, past shaft and gasket seals. Places a catch can is not going to help. IF I had no visible leaks I might be inclined IF......

3.) I have one motor on the property (and there are many) that has used oil. An 2.4 in the wife's GMC. They don't have an external PCV system nor a valve but an orifice. Even if I wanted to I can not; without created an entire external system. 

Allot of people look at Catch Cans as an absolute requirement. IMHO they are situational and.....too expensive for a beer can with some garden hose connections. Remember, It's just an opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just drained my catch can - had more than expected for sure

I installed it because I believe the direct injection engines should absolutely have it since the fuel no longer cleans the intake valves. How much it caught, really makes me happy because I know the gm PCV system was designed to work but this additional safety system shows that it is working

i've used catch cans in the past on modified cars, my last a VW GTI (400whp, double stock) i played with a few. Some augmented the factory PVC and didn't pick up much, some replaced, but really just collected what the PCV would have handled well. I've seen issues when the can is too full or freezes, I haven't really seen a case for it on stock direct injected vehicles. even with the can you will still need walnut blasting at regular intervals. Some vehicles have an additional injector for the intake supply to clean valves, im not sure if we have that. Alternatively you could fit a water methanol system and keep the valves relatively clean

• 5 months later...