Truck Bros, school me on the need for a catch can.

3 hours ago, txab said:

Wow thanks, that was helpful as hell.

OK, so no, it is the same results I got when I searched. Just people saying they got this much oil or didnt get anything. Even some people freaking out about milky oil/water mix which to me is kinda funny.

What Im looking for is information on why people are using them.

Is there a known problem that is rectified with a can VS without?

Is it a regional thing, ie cold weather and short trips?

Too many rpms too often?

I see a lot of talk about these being DI motors, but no reasoning behind it.

You didn't read closely then. Everything you asked is answered in those posts. I don't blame you... take the easy way. :)

Be patient, I'm sure you'll get a few responses eventually

Edited by txab

Some find a need for it while others think it’s a waste of money. It’s all assumptions but one thing is for certain, DI motors will foul up with or without a catch can, the key is to be proactive in your maintenance. Many on these forums use oils and fluids that meet manufacturers minimum requirements just to get by, while others use products that burn off less, better protection against friction additives which are designed to prolong the life of the vehicles.

Sent from Above

• Thanks 1

Yeah, you don't need one.... that is... until you actually see what one catches out of the PCV line that could have ended up on your intake valves.  And you have seen what intake valves on DI engines can look like in only 30,000 miles.  Then you will wonder why you never had one all along. A air / oil separator or "catch can" will not cure everything, but it is  a solid part of as proactive maintenance regimen.  Actually, a A/O separator along with doing a CRC Intake Valve Cleaner job at each oil change is about as proactive as you can get with a DI motor.

The same can  be said of changing out diff and transfer fluids  before the first 10,000 miles.  Not required, but when you see the break in metals clinging to the magnetic plug and looking like someone stuck a cat's tail into a light socket, then you will understand why changing drive train fluids early can help with longevity.

Of course one can always cover their eyes and proclaim "there is no such thing".   Also, if one just trades vehicles every 2-3 years, then it doesn't matter also.  

• Like 3

Yeah, you don't need one.... that is... until you actually see what one catches out of the PCV line that could have ended up on your intake valves.  And you have seen what intake valves on DI engines can look like in only 30,000 miles.  Then you will wonder why you never had one all along. A air / oil separator or "catch can" will not cure everything, but it is  a solid part of as proactive maintenance regimen.  Actually, a A/O separator along with doing a CRC Intake Valve Cleaner job at each oil change is about as proactive as you can get with a DI motor.

The same can  be said of changing out diff and transfer fluids  before the first 10,000 miles.  Not required, but when you see the break in metals clinging to the magnetic plug and looking like someone stuck a cat's tail into a light socket, then you will understand why changing drive train fluids early can help with longevity.

Of course one can always cover their eyes and proclaim "there is no such thing".   Also, if one just trades vehicles every 2-3 years, then it doesn't matter also.  

It’s a toss up, what you get in the can is mostly water from condensation which adds to the fear factor. There’s absolutely no proof, non that I’ve seen on these forums, that it’s saved any engine from self destruction. As a matter of fact, it’s common to see dual systems attached because fluid has been found to actually not be caught using just one catch can. We all agree that these engines have a bad case of crapping where they eat but the reality is that catch can though serve a reminder of GM’s screw up, create illusion of lots of fluids when it’s really mostly condensation mixed with oil vapors. I think it’s great for those using it because it gives them a sense of proactive maintenance but there’s not been one person that’s ever proven that their engine is cleaner using one.

Sent from Above

think about it this way:

If catch cans worked so well and prevented all catastrophic failure of engines still under the powertrain warranty- wouldn't GM put the $200 part on the truck to begin with?

Since they (GM's bean counters) don't believe catch cans are needed to get the truck through the warranty period, then I'm fine without it.

Maybe adding one will increase your engine's life span from 200k to 300k. I doubt my frame will last that long anyway so it doesn't make me lose any sleep.

• Like 2

think about it this way:
If catch cans worked so well and prevented all catastrophic failure of engines still under the powertrain warranty- wouldn't GM put the $200 part on the truck to begin with?

Since they (GM's bean counters) don't believe catch cans are needed to get the truck through the warranty period, then I'm fine without it.

Maybe adding one will increase your engine's life span from 200k to 300k. I doubt my frame will last that long anyway so it doesn't make me lose any sleep.

It’s more like 10-15$ cost per can for GM.

Sent from Above
  • Like 2

OP, you don't need one. Search, all answers you asked are out there, plain and simple. 

TXGreek, I applaud you for not hawking an Amsoil product in any of your responses!

Tyler

Oooops, I forgot lol

Sent from Above
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1