Lifter tick...

Well, at 175k I guess it is nickel and dime time...2012 2500hd 6.0l...

Last Wednesday I drove the truck about 150 miles, when I got to the destination I had a notable lifter tick from the driver's side. This is lifter, not injector, as it is coming more from the oil pan. It is only at idle and when hot...so I am guessing one is bleeding down. Just to make sure, I changed oil on the premise that maybe the oil had sheared or fuel diluted and was out of the 30w viscosity. Dumped this oil with about 3500 miles, and filled with Mobil 1 yesterday...drive it to work this morning and no change.

How big a deal is it to replace lifters (if that is what it turns out to be)? I've not done a roller lifter before, the last mopar I did I used a tool to snake them out without much disassembly. Is this something I could have a private garage do, or would a dealer be a better choice here?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's good to know...like I said, the last time I did this was on a Mopar, with standard hydraulic tappets, and it was as simple as pulling the valve covers, pulling the valve train, and using a tool to pull them out.

Well, it might be a lifter, but.....  Many LS engines, even non-AFM,  in trucks make a ticking noise that is louder from underneath at idle after warm-up.  If the engine has good oil pressure at idle it may not be a lifter, in fact I have heard of replacing all the lifters and still hearing the noise.  I have some 6.0L trucks at work that have had this noise since they were new.    

Well, it might be a lifter, but.....  Many LS engines, even non-AFM,  in trucks make a ticking noise that is louder from underneath at idle after warm-up.  If the engine has good oil pressure at idle it may not be a lifter, in fact I have heard of replacing all the lifters and still hearing the noise.  I have some 6.0L trucks at work that have had this noise since they were new.    
This just started suddenly...mine has always made a some lifter noise and injector noise, but this is a loud click, like one is bleeding down at idle...goes away with any slight RPM increase.

Starting suddenly is more indicative of a lifter.  Check your exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets too, sometimes a small exhaust leak can sound like a lifter.  
Had those replaced about 20k miles ago as the head sheared off the rear bolts on both sides...one of the first things I checked this time because I was hoping for something "easy"...

This is definitely a metallic tap, a lot sharper than exhaust...

The odd thing is that I drove it to work (about 50 miles) and it was tapping when got there. Drove it home, and not tapping when I pulled in the driveway.

Ok, talked to my local guy...he's a good mechanic, done right by me so far. He researched it and had this to say:

He recommended getting a low mile used engine and swapping...he is concerned that at 175k, they will have more than 15 hours pulling the heads to find the cam is trashed from a failed lifter. I'm not thinking this is that major of a issue, but can see his point to some degree. I almost think he is not wanting to get into it...

The only thing that bothers me is I know how this one has been taken care of during owning it, where even a low mile used I wouldn't...I can't imagine this is anything more than a weak lifter since it only ticks at low idle.

Nothing wrong with a good used LS engine. Seen many times people get a used 300K engine and put it in hotrods and go. No rebuild, just run it as found. It can be expensive to get into the engine only to find some issue other than lifters and a cam. If you go into it knowing you want lifters and cam you could be a couple thousand in and happy. If I was your neighbor I would as you to bring it over and we would knock it out in a weekend. All you would need was parts. As I am not I think you have 2 choices.

1) Replace current failed lifters with new and possible a cam (recommend to replace cam while in engine) Maybe a little step up while at it. You will like the power.

2) Used engine swap

You said you changed the oil a couple days ago, did you see or look for glitter in it? A chewed up cam and lifter usually leaves something in the oil.

No glitter, I would open it up. 15 hrs seems high just for tear down.....

175K, there is plenty of life left in it.

You said you changed the oil a couple days ago, did you see or look for glitter in it? A chewed up cam and lifter usually leaves something in the oil.

No glitter, I would open it up. 15 hrs seems high just for tear down.....

175K, there is plenty of life left in it.
No, oil looked fine...I'm going to cut the filter open tonight and see what it looks like.

The whole deal acts like a lifter bleeding down...I had it wound to redline for a decent stretch on Tuesday, runs perfectly fine otherwise. That's why I think lifters is all it needs...

34 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

No, oil looked fine...I'm going to cut the filter open tonight and see what it looks like.

The whole deal acts like a lifter bleeding down...I had it wound to redline for a decent stretch on Tuesday, runs perfectly fine otherwise. That's why I think lifters is all it needs...

I would just get the cam and lifter kit and probably rockers be done with it run it another 100K.  Reason?  You know it's history so nothing wrong with engine other than lifter.

Edited by mookdoc6