Dead 10 speed.....

My 8 speed is the best driving, shifting transmission I've had.  Well except for the two Honda transmissions I've owned.  From what I've heard isn't the almost identical  Ford 10 speed having a bunch of issues, maybe a lawsuit.....?

My 10sp, the only odd shift is first thing in the morning, when it’s coasting about 5 mph and I try to accelerate. It feels like the equivalent to ‘dropping to clutch’ or a ‘neutral drop’. Engine revs for a second before it engages. 

it’s only 2 months old with 2700 miles so I am hoping it’s just a learning curve. Other than that, it’s been great. 

45 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

My 8 speed is the best driving, shifting transmission I've had.  Well except for the two Honda transmissions I've owned.  From what I've heard isn't the almost identical  Ford 10 speed having a bunch of issues, maybe a lawsuit.....?

What kind of issues is ford having? What little I have read, with Ford, seemed like a programming issue?

1 hour ago, SILVER SLED said:

25 minutes ago, mistaare said:

What kind of issues is ford having? What little I have read, with Ford, seemed like a programming issue?

From what I've heard from folks who have driven both, GM did a much better job with the programming of the shift points than Ford did. 

From what I've heard from folks who have driven both, GM did a much better job with the programming of the shift points than Ford did. 

The sport mode shift points in my Silverado are great. It’s fun driving (but does drink more gas)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Now that’s hilarious!   Must be the person left GM to work for Ford doing the programming.   

My coworker has a 2018 ford with the 10 speed. It shifts from 1st to 4th and also from 7th to 4th when braking around 30 with a loud clunk I could hear in the passenger seat over the radio. The Ford has an indicator to tell you what gear it is in. It seems like a programming issue. Absolutely nothing like my 2020 TB 10 speed that has been smooth as glass other than an occasional rough 1 to 2 shift when cold in the morning.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My coworker has a 2018 ford with the 10 speed. It shifts from 1st to 4th and also from 7th to 4th when braking around 30 with a loud clunk I could hear in the passenger seat over the radio. The Ford has an indicator to tell you what gear it is in. It seems like a programming issue. Absolutely nothing like my 2020 TB 10 speed that has been smooth as glass other than an occasional rough 1 to 2 shift when cold in the morning.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

My camaro has the 1-4 shift in the M6. It’s for fuel economy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are two different TSBs for the shift programming on the Ford version. While they are the same transmission mechanically, the electronic controls for either version are exclusive to each manufacturer, and each version is built in their own plants. For that reason you really can’t lump Ford’s problems into the GM version.

Mine has been totally flawless. Reports of ANY issues or complaints with the GM 10 speed have been so scarce to the point of being meaningless, isolated incidents. Unfortunate, but it can happen to anything.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, elcamino said:

Who has all these 8sp problems?  My 2017 6.2L/8-sp is pushing 30,000 miles and no problem.

i had pronblems with my 8spd since about 10k miles, Dealership fixed on the 3rd trip back about 18k miles. so far so good at 35K miles other than the shudder when cold. they did just have to replace a computer that made the tranny, traction control, trailer brake and power steering go crazy the week before Chirstmas.

also my brothers 2016 SLT has a terrible 8spd and my buddy has one thats had problems..

my next one will be a 6.2 denali 1-spd or duramax 2500. i wish i never bought the 5.3 (i had a 2008 6.2 seirra denali 275,000 flawless miles)

3 hours ago, mistaare said:

had a friend just buy a 2019 F-150 fx4 tranny went out 2nd day and they gave him his money and old truck back...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

From what I read, it sounds like the revisions they did for the 2019 8 speeds fixed most of the problems. I bought a 2019 with the 8 speed myself. It has about 2,000 miles so far and seems to be a good transmission. I’d compare it’s characteristics to those of the 6R80 that was in my F150. Performance well overall, with a few hard shifts when it’s cold.